Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Catalina & Carbon Copy Cloner
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    I see where you are coming from, I chose to eject both but afterwards I thought why would I want to keep one or the other active? As it was I wanted to put the EHD away so I needed to disconnect it. If you can think of a reason to keep one but not the other mounted I’d love to hear it. Perhaps it’s just unavoidable based on the volume structure of Catalina.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 21.5" 3.1GHz Core i7 16GB RAM Catalina. iPad Air. iPhone 6S. iPod nano.
    Seems to have been a lot of activity while I've been asleep!

I have attached an image of Finder as it is now and you can see the four volumes which, according to CCC are as they should be. The Daily Back Up is the CCC backup and the others are self-explanatory. Immediately after the restore I had two volumes of Macintosh HD, which were identical in every respect and it is this issue that CCC suggested may be a Finder bug. I mistakenly thought that there should have been a Mackintosh HD - Data volume in Finder as well.

The displays in Disk Utility and CCC both show a Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD - Data volume. CCC also shows a Daily Back Up and a Daily Back - Data volume in the side bar and a single Macintosh HD as the Source and a single Daily Back Up as the Destination.

Looking on the bright side - at least I know that CCC works ok with Catalina

Finder.png
    Last edited by pine man; 10-19-2019 at 06:19 AM.
    Peter - I used to be paranoid but now I just worry all the time

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    I was a little surprised that it converted my Transcend 1Tb EHD to APFS prior to backup. I was rightly or wrongly under the impression that HFS+ was better if not advised for spinners but I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I see where you are coming from, I chose to eject both but afterwards I thought why would I want to keep one or the other active? As it was I wanted to put the EHD away so I needed to disconnect it. If you can think of a reason to keep one but not the other mounted I’d love to hear it. Perhaps it’s just unavoidable based on the volume structure of Catalina.
    Totally agree. Intuitively, I would have chosen "Eject All". Like you, I'm surprised there was a choice if "Ejection of CCC" was your intention.

I also recognise the need to leave them all mounted if, like me, you have a scheduled CCC BU planned for 1am every day. In which case I would choose "Cancel".

Interesting....

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    I had an issue here with a pair of "Data" volumes showing up, but it was one of my own creation. When I reinstalled Catalina from scratch, I re-created my user from scratch also. I prefer to have my username and home folder with my first name only and first letter capitalized. I have to make a point of making that adjustment when creating the user, and in the past that has never been an issue. But this time, Catalina refused to let me make the first letter of my home folder capitalized. Sooo... after I was set up, I went into the Users & Groups preference pane, unlocked it, right-clicked on my user account, and made the changes there under Advanced Options. Then I rebooted.

Everything seemed fine, except when I browsed my folders on logging back in, I saw 3 things. First was my home folder was still showing in lower case in Finder. Secondly, the home folder had a normal folder icon, not the special "Home" folder icon. I fixed this by simply renaming the folder and voila! Fixed. The third thing is where things get weird and relevant here. I also now had two "Mac HD - Data" mount points. Both had the same capacity (each the size of the SSD capacity, which made no sense!), but one was empty.

So what I had to do was dismount the empty one from Disk Utility (or maybe I did it from Finder?), then right-click on the dismounted one and and selected "Delete APFS Volume". Problem solved. Below is a screen cap of how to view this in Disk Utility, though I don't currently have the duplicated volume. The top arrow shows what you need to click to get the view of the "container" contents.

EDIT: just to emphasize... the screen shot below shows how this should normally look. Obviously don't try to delete the single "Data" volume.

Disk Utility.jpg
    Last edited by Lifeisabeach; 10-21-2019 at 10:34 AM.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Both had the same capacity (each the size of the SSD capacity, which made no sense!), but one was empty.
    Actually, it does make sense if you remember how APFS works. The Container has a certain capacity. Each Volume in the Container can use as much of that space until the Container is full. So if you have two Volumes, both will show a capacity of whatever the Container has available. As one or more Volumes begin to use space, ALL of them will show the decrease. So think of the capacity of a Volume as the remaining capacity of the Container and it makes sense.

When we get stuck thinking in terms of the old "partition" scheme, where partitions were fixed in size, the new scheme gets strange, but if we can shift to thinking in terms of more flexible Containers and Volumes, it does make sense.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Actually, it does make sense if you remember how APFS works. The Container has a certain capacity. Each Volume in the Container can use as much of that space until the Container is full. So if you have two Volumes, both will show a capacity of whatever the Container has available. As one or more Volumes begin to use space, ALL of them will show the decrease. So think of the capacity of a Volume as the remaining capacity of the Container and it makes sense.

When we get stuck thinking in terms of the old "partition" scheme, where partitions were fixed in size, the new scheme gets strange, but if we can shift to thinking in terms of more flexible Containers and Volumes, it does make sense.
    Oh I understood it just fine once I got past the initial "Whaaaaaat the...???!!!" shock. It threw me for a loop but easily fixed once I dug through it all. What's really strange is that while Catalina refused to let me use a capital letter for my username initially, it had no problem letting me use one for my wife's username.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Your Mac's Specs
    I think that a lot of folks who move to Catalina are going to be "shocked" by some of the internal changes. If you just boot it, and use it, the fact that there are two Volumes won't impact you as the OS merges them into one icon on the Desktop and in Finder. Only when you go into DU, or look at a clone on an external drive, will the two Volumes be seen as one. And given that's how it works, the "capacity" issue goes away.

As for upper/lower case names, that one I have no explanation for the action. A glitch, perhaps?
    Jake

As for upper/lower case names, that one I have no explanation for the action. A glitch, perhaps?

I can recall having trouble capitalizing a user's name when setting up various users or some clients, and I think it started around Mavericks time that using a capital for the username was discouraged or just not allowed or just unknown or too akward and invloved to attempt.

If and when it didn't work I just gave up and didn't bother with it anymore and it seemed the OS X was happy with things that way.

And I'm pretty sure I never went through the procedure that is outlined here:
    macOS Sierra Home Folder Capitalization
    macOS Sierra Home Folder Capitalization | MacRumors Forums

But maybe checkout the linked suggestion using Apple's support article of capitalizing the username, if it still works method at:
    Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder
    Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder - Apple Support

It seems that Catalina OS is really clamping down on any user modifications.
    It's almost as if such Catalina OS X users are now the audience in the famous 1984 Apple ad!!!

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Patrick, I created a Catalina system on a USB stick and had zero problem with upper case letters in the account name. No 1984 here.
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Patrick, I created a Catalina system on a USB stick and had zero problem with upper case letters in the account name. No 1984 here.
    Good to hear that there's some latitude and freedom still allowed Jake, and I was pushing the 1984 scene a bit strong I think.

And maybe those who want to capitalize their username can do so by following the apple link if it still works:

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    I seem to dodge most of the bullets, Patrick. I am holding off on Catalina because the changes were pretty big and I'll let somebody else to the minefield clearance for me. As I said, I did install it on a USB thumb drive just to see how it looks and works, but I was missing two drivers, one printer (promised and delivered by the developers) and one scanner (still in the "promised" category).
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    I can recall having trouble capitalizing a user's name when setting up various users or some clients, and I think it started around Mavericks time that using a capital for the username was discouraged or just not allowed or just unknown or too akward and invloved to attempt.

If and when it didn't work I just gave up and didn't bother with it anymore and it seemed the OS X was happy with things that way.

And I'm pretty sure I never went through the procedure that is outlined here:
    macOS Sierra Home Folder Capitalization
    macOS Sierra Home Folder Capitalization | MacRumors Forums

But maybe checkout the linked suggestion using Apple's support article of capitalizing the username, if it still works method at:
    Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder

It seems that Catalina OS is really clamping down on any user modifications.
    It's almost as if such Catalina OS X users are now the audience in the famous 1984 Apple ad!!!

- Patrick
    ======
    The Apple support article on changing the username does still apply. That's exactly what I did. As I said, it's bizarre that when creating the initial user, you can't use any capital letters. When I created my wife's account as a second admin user, it had no objection to me entering a capital letter. This inconsistency is baffling.

I just reinstalled High Sierra on my older MacBook Air as a last ditch attempt to troubleshoot the lockup issue, and I couldn't set a capital letter for my username on that either. So whenever Apple started doing this, it's been a while. I haven't had to manually create a user from scratch on a fresh install in a few years, thus why I've not seen it before. Or maybe I have and just forgot.

------
    ------

Thread Information