Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Planning to upgrade to Catalina, back up?
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro (13inch mid 2012), 2.5 ghz , i5, 16 gig 1600 mhz, 1TB SSD, Mojave 10.14.6
    A couple of quick questions. I have Super Duper and a 1 TB WD drive. When I tried to upgrade Super Duper from the program itself, I got an error "Product does not exist!". Any ideas? Is there a better alternative, and does the back-up program also have to be 64 bit?

I also have Time Machine, so I assume that is compatible to restore the OS in the event something goes awry. I did a restore from Time Machine a few years ago and that was a very time consuming process.

I also see that there is a supplemental upgrade to Catalina, is that automatic, or do I have to download that separately?

ken
    Few things in life will clear out the cobwebs more effectively than fighting an 80 MPH wind on two wheels.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    @ken, Carbon Copy Cloner is another clone program. Works well. Supports Catalina.

Yes, the backup program must be 64-bit to run under Catalina (to do the restore). TM should work.

If you download Catalina today, you should be getting the latest version.

One thing about Catalina. It changes the way the system and user data is stored on the HD/SSD. Using the new APFS, it creates a container for the drive, then two Volumes in that container, one for the OS itself and one for the User data. The OS volume is read-only, as a security measure. CCC takes that all into account as it clones, and SD! should do the same, but I don't use SD!, so I can't say for sure. And Catalina deals with the two volumes as if they were one in operations, so you shouldn't have to deal with them as separate, but if you get into Disk Utility you can see both.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    SD is 64bit and backs my OS to up my two Catalina external SSDs.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro (13inch mid 2012), 2.5 ghz , i5, 16 gig 1600 mhz, 1TB SSD, Mojave 10.14.6
    Here in the mountains of North Carolina, internet is not particularly reliable, or particularly fast. My phone is generally a bit faster, but I have very limited data. After 12 hours I'm still about 20 hours from completing the download and I lost the data connection a few times. Is that a problem? I assume the download starts where it left off. Would I be better off starting from scratch if I take the computer to a Starbucks and try from there? I'm the better part of an hour from high speed internet. I'm just a little nervous that all this starting and stopping will corrupt the download.
    Few things in life will clear out the cobwebs more effectively than fighting an 80 MPH wind on two wheels.

Your Mac's Specs
    OK, I found a better spot to download from and finished the download. Should I give up and try again another time? All the starts and stops is giving me the heebee jeebees.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
    If the downloaded installer actually opens then the breaks in download shouldn’t make any difference. If it doesn’t open then it is corrupted

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    I also see that there is a supplemental upgrade to Catalina, is that automatic, or do I have to download that separately?
    It's a separate download. But, do you really need Catalina? Think about that real hard.... with all the glitches being reported, might be a good idea to wait for additional updates. I usually am the first to charge headlong and download a new version of macOS, but I'm waiting this one out and staying with Mojave for awhile.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    It's a separate download. But, do you really need Catalina? Think about that real hard.... with all the glitches being reported, might be a good idea to wait for additional updates. I usually am the first to charge headlong and download a new version of macOS, but I'm waiting this one out and staying with Mojave for awhile.
    It's a bit of a conundrum. The only real problem I have now is coming out of sleep mode. It doesn't. I have to press the power button a few times to wake it up. Occasionally, it actually reboots. I know I'm not the only one and that this has been a problem because there were supplemental upgrades to address this issue. I just get a little nervous (paranoid) every time that happens which is every time it comes out of sleep mode. Do I NEED Catalina? Absolutely not. As a matter of fact, I don't think there are any of the new features I have any interest in. I'm more concerned about stability and security.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Restart the Mac, a couple of times in a row, while doing NVRAM reset, Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support. And then can SMC reset, How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support. Then last boot into safe mode, Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Restart the Mac, a couple of times in a row, while doing NVRAM reset, Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support. And then can SMC reset, How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support. Then last boot into safe mode, Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support.

Thanks, I appreciate that, but I've tried it numerous times, the end result being no change. The only way I've been able to avoid it from happening is to set computer and display sleep at never.

Thread Information