Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Supplemental Update to macOS 10.15 Catalina now available for download
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Apple recommends this download for everyone running Catalina. It contains bug fixes and fixes for other problems that have been documented.

Please make sure you have a verified backup. The supplemental update is quite large and will take some time to download and install.

Also, be aware that the Relocated Items folder will once again appear on your desktop.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Yes, I can confirm that. In my case it simply contains a syslog.conf.system_default file of 96 bytes. /Users/Shared/Relocated Items/Configuration/private/etc/syslog.conf.system_default. Probably trashable.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    As usu8al takes much, much longer to install than download. I am surprised Apple did not call the supp OS X.15.1 as at just on 1GB it is an update more than a supplement. Also those waiting for updates would know now may the time to proceed.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    As usu8al takes much, much longer to install than download. I am surprised Apple did not call the supp OS X.15.1 as at just on 1GB it is an update more than a supplement. Also those waiting for updates would know now may the time to proceed.
    Because the update doesn’t really add anything, just fixes issues.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Also, be aware that the Relocated Items folder will once again appear on your desktop.

I'm not affected as my iMac cannot run 10.15.x, but just curious if a new Relocated Items folder would get created, or would any new stuff get added to the older Relocated Items folder, and what happens if the old Relocated Items folder has already beenTrashed and deleted???

Just curious... and maybe something for some users to be aware of and on the lookout for.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Several people have already posted here that if trashed and deleted, it reappears.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Several people have already posted here that if trashed and deleted, it reappears.
    I can confirm it only appears again if Catalina is updated either by a supplemental update or 10.15.1, and so on. It does not appear again after a reboot nor does it do so after trashed and deleted.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    I'm not affected as my iMac cannot run 10.15.x, but just curious if a new Relocated Items folder would get created, or would any new stuff get added to the older Relocated Items folder, and what happens if the old Relocated Items folder has already beenTrashed and deleted???

Just curious... and maybe something for some users to be aware of and on the lookout for.

- Patrick
    ======
    Patrick I think I can answer that question. In post#2 I showed the file path to the relocated item from the Supplemental. I did not delete /Users/Shared/Relocated Items. Nor did I delete it in the first instance of upgrading to Catalina. The new "relocated" item went into the original folder with the addition of /Configuration/private/etc/syslog.conf.system_default. So it did not create a new Relocated Items Folder it put the file in the old one.
    So its fine to keep /Users/Shared/Relocated Items.
    In point of fact there's probably no need to delete these files at all, they're so small and do no harm. For me it was just housekeeping and testing to see if it could be done. My experience has been that it's better to delete the actual file before trying to trash the alias. I tried it the other way around in the first example and it didn't like that.
    You can however move the alias to the same folder as the original just to get it off the desktop.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 2014 OS X 10.15.1, 2012 10.12.6;2 iPhones iOS 13.2.2; iPads 12.4.2; iWatch_1 4.3.2;
    I've been away for a few days. If I download Catalina will the update be included or should I wait for 10.15.1?

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I've been away for a few days. If I download Catalina will the update be included or should I wait for 10.15.1?
    I would definitely wait for 10.15.1 which is already in beta and should be released soon. Make sure you have a verified backup before installing Catalina and that you do not have any 32 bit apps that you can not do without.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 2014 OS X 10.15.1, 2012 10.12.6;2 iPhones iOS 13.2.2; iPads 12.4.2; iWatch_1 4.3.2;
    Thanks. I've just done a CCC backup.

Your Mac's Specs
    16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
    With all the issues we’re seeing, I may wait till Monterey Beach (or whatever version 10.16 is called) to upgrade to Catalina
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Your Mac's Specs
    I donít agree, yes the was the freeze during the installation but I think that has been resolved with the supplemental update. Even if it wasnít just forcing shutdown and restart fixed that issue for me and others.
    The ďrelocatedĒ folder alias on the desktop is apparently intended and not difficult to remove once you know how.
    Any other problems I have seen are common problems with any major upgrade where core native apps have had major changes and need to work in conjunction with mobile versions as well.
    I have been running it on my 2015 12Ē MBP since it was released and nothing I need to do every day has been effected by the upgrade in any way. Browsers (Iím giving Safari 13 a good try as default), email (still using Spark but run Mail in the background to enable Spam Sieve) MS Word, Pages, Numbers, iMazing, CCC, all work as they did before even using Finder to sync iPhone all works flawlessly although I prefer iMazing.
    In short except for the disappearing Adobe Acrobat Pro and two 32bit apps I have not been able to update itís been considerably less difficult than my macOS restore and clean install of Mojave which of course it should have been.
    One thing I would say is that Mojave was a good OS and had I not already committed to iOS and iPadOS 13 (I was beta testing them) I would not have been so keen to upgrade to Catalina so soon. As far as I can see there have been some radical changes in Catalina but not a lot of improvements and yes there are a few bugs yet to be resolved.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Thread Information