Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very slow computer, should i restore?
    I have a MBP thats a mid 2012 with 2.5GHz i5, 8GB RAM, and 500GB HD.

I got it off craigslist 3-4 years ago and it seems its been slowly deteriorating (runs very slow in general, and when starting up from sleep it can take several minutes). I don't think the seller wiped the computer properly, and his old profile was still kind of there, and we brought the laptop to Apple to remove the old profile and try to fix the slowness of the problem and it wasn't fully rectified. I would like to do a complete system restore from a thumb drive that has High Sierra on it. My two main questions are:

1. Could i run into issues from potentially some remains of the old seller's profile being on the drive?
    2. Could this actually help fix the slowness of the computer?

Thanks!

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    Your best option is to install an SSD (Solid State Drive) in place of the platter drive. The best procedure would bew download Mojave, burn to a USB thumb drive of over 8GB using Diskmaker X. Install the SSD. Boot from the thumb drive, erase the SSD and format APFS and then run the Installer.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

As in mechanically remove the HDD and install a SDD? I didn’t think that was possible for these macs, especially ones from 2012?

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Which exact model 2012 MacBook Pro do you have? Is it a Retina model?

It’s not the retina model. 13in

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by bradpitch92 View Post
    It’s not the retina model. 13in
    If it's not the retina model then you can change the hard drive out for an SSD just as Harry suggested. Add some more memory and at the same time, replace the SATA cable. Go to iFixit: The Free Repair Manual for the procedures. Real easy with your model. The difference in speed will be very noticeable.

Ok thanks that's super helpful. Did some quick research and should i clone my HDD to my SDD? I've already transferred all the files i care about to my PC and USB drive, and then i would just transfer them back post SSD installation. There won't be any issues with this right? I want to do this because I feel that some of the data is corrupted and want to cleanly wipe the profiles due to the remnants of the previous user.

Also - Can i upgrade to more than 8 GB of memory? I thought 8 GB was max.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Quote Originally Posted by bradpitch92 View Post
    Ok thanks that's super helpful. Did some quick research and should i clone my HDD to my SDD? I've already transferred all the files i care about to my PC and USB drive, and then i would just transfer them back post SSD installation. There won't be any issues with this right? I want to do this because I feel that some of the data is corrupted and want to cleanly wipe the profiles due to the remnants of the previous user.

Also - Can i upgrade to more than 8 GB of memory? I thought 8 GB was max.
    First, yes you can install more ram into the 2012 13” MBP. It will take 2 - 8GB sticks. Check out Crucial.com, let them scan your MBP and it will list your upgradeable hardware with suggestions.

If you only have a small amount if data/files (MB or GB) that are necessary, then you don’t need to clone. You can just;

1. make the bootable macOS USB installer, How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support.
    2. then install the SSD.
    3. Then startup from the USB installer.
    4 Copy your files/data back to your new MBP.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    If it's not the retina model then you can change the hard drive out for an SSD just as Harry suggested. Add some more memory and at the same time, replace the SATA cable. Go to iFixit: The Free Repair Manual for the procedures. Real easy with your model. The difference in speed will be very noticeable.
    Is it worth it to replace SATA cable? iFixit is selling it for like $60, although i can find it on Amazon for $10-15. Does it need to be brand name?

Will the memory upgrade from 8GB to 16GB be worth it as well? I pretty much just browse internet and do some Office work on it.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    If you’re not doing video, or other intensive work, the 8GB will be fine for mild use.

The HDD drive through off a lot of heat and may have made the cable brittle, I would replace it at this time, but I would personally go with a less expensive brand.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    Why clone the currtent problems to the new SSD?
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

I wasn't planning on cloning (like using time machine backup). Just taking the all the files (like desktop, all photos and docs) and copying them to a PC/USB drive, and then will transfer them back. I wouldn't copy anything from the library or user preference folders though.

Your Mac's Specs
    Okay, good deal. Remember though if you have apps that require activation with a serial number, you will have to re-activate them because the hardware will be different and you're installing to a new drive. Apps such as MS Office and Adobe are especially fussy about activation. So make sure you have all your serial numbers and original images or DVDs. You won't have to worry about documents and photos as they can be copied.

I have had the same issue. My laptop was slowing down a lot. Then I reset my laptop and removed the junk files. Now it's okey and serving me well. You can try that.

What do you mean reset?

Thread Information