Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Macbook Pro issue with typing: scrambling up & automatically copying texts
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    It seems the problem goes away in Safe Mode. That can only mean there is something you have loaded that's interfering; perhaps a non compatible kext or program. Another thing you can try: Create a test user, give it admin rights and play around with TextEdit for a while as the test user to see if the problem is there. Let us know.

Now I have updated to Catalina yesterday so that might have created the problem, but right after the update I used my Macbook for a couple of hours without any problems whatsoever. Therefore I'm not sure whether the issue is related to the new OS update.

As I reread your #1 post with the quote that's above, I'm a bit confused as you say you got the problem after the Catalina update and then you say the problem disappeared in the same sentence.

So I guess my question now is, is it working properly now or not???

Otherwise, did you try any of the suggestions and did any work???

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Macbook Pro (13'' Mid 2012), 2,5GHZ Dual Core Intel processor ii5, Intel HD Graphics Card,
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    It seems the problem goes away in Safe Mode. That can only mean there is something you have loaded that's interfering; perhaps a non compatible kext or program. Another thing you can try: Create a test user, give it admin rights and play around with TextEdit for a while as the test user to see if the problem is there. Let us know.
    @chscag,

I've created a test user with admin rights, and the problem seems to reoccur there as well.

Len

Your Mac's Specs
    Macbook Pro (13'' Mid 2012), 2,5GHZ Dual Core Intel processor ii5, Intel HD Graphics Card,
    @Patrick,

What I meant in the first post was that my Macbook seemed to work fine the first few hours after installing the Catalina update and after that, the issue started to appear. Therefore, I'm not entirely sure whether the issue is actually caused by the Catalina update but I imagine it potentially has something to do with it since that was the only big change/update I did on my Mac recently.

I have tried every suggestion (except for contacting Apple directly) and none has worked thus far.

Len

Your Mac's Specs
    Sorry but I have run out of suggestions. You can try contacting Apple but they will want to charge you for the tech support call. Instead, if there is an Apple store nearby take the machine on in and let the genius bar do a diagnosis. That service is free but any repairs will be at your expense.

I'm wondering if your keyboard is defective or the keyboard cable? That would be something Apple should be able to detect.

Your Mac's Specs
    @chscag

Interesting turn of events: in trying all kind of different things I turned my fans up to a higher RPM (4000) and thus far (couple of hours), the problem seems to have disappeared. Not quite certain whether this actually fixes the problem and what the actual problem could be (although I'm guessing it's probably an issue with either my battery or motherboard heating up) but I'll give a further update later on.

Len

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Are you using Macs Fan Controller or similar? If so what temps are you getting at normal use?
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Are you using Macs Fan Controller or similar? If so what temps are you getting at normal use?
    @ Rod,

normally around 70-80C and with fans on 4000rpm around 50-60.

However, I'm currently running on 4400rpm and the issue has reappeared.

I'll probably run by an Apple store this week and see if they are familiar with the issue. If not, I'll try and reset my entire Macbook to factory settings to clean it up. Maybe that will work.

Len

Your Mac's Specs
    I'm wondering if your keyboard is defective or the keyboard cable? That would be something Apple should be able to detect.
    The techs at the Apple Store genius bar should be able to run a test on the keyboard and motherboard. If the keyboard assembly turns out to be the culprit, you're looking at an expensive repair since the entire top case would have to be replaced along with the keyboard assembly. I'm not sure if the battery in your model also has to be replaced since it's glued to the chassis. If it's a logic board (motherboard) problem that too will be an expensive repair.

You may be looking at replacing the machine if the repair cost is too high. Something to consider before taking it to Apple.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    As previously posted that's what happened with me. My device was covered under Apple Care otherwise I would have been up for $500.00 + initially but in the end they replaced the whole MBP with a new one.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    Hey everyone,

Been a day or two since I reset my Macbook back to the original factory settings (re-installed Catalina as well) and the problem has vanished. Unfortunately, this meant that I had to re-install a lot of programs (and re-buy some of them), but fortunately everything is running smoothly again.

I'm still in the dark about what caused the exact problem, but the fact that everything's functioning normally again was worth the reset.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

Len

Your Mac's Specs
    Good to hear that things have returned to normal. Very rarely does a glitch show up that can only be resolved by a new install. But in your case, looks like it worked and you avoided a costly repair.

Thread Information