Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page




Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 43 of 43

Thread: Catalina

  1. #31
    Catalina
    krs's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 16, 2008
    Posts
    1,058
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    zkrs they seem pretty much the same except for the focus on wording here; "In the Menu Title box enter the exact following text (without italics) Save As… being sure to capitalise the letters as shown and having three full stops after the second word."
    That isn't stressed as much in the second article.
    The process seems to be the same, but the end result is different.
    So either there is a subtle difference or I did actually use some terminal command at the time - but I couldn't find anything on my Mac or via google about doing this using the terminal.
    The difference in the end result is that the way did this, it works in all applications that I have used, and I use a fair number of them.
    In the article it says that the "Macworld method" does not work in Pages, Numbers and Keynotes, I tried all three of those and "Save All..." is an option in all of them - also properly positioned between "Save" and "Duplicate"
    I also don't understand their focusing on the exact text - that sounds to me as if they think this will not work if one only asdds two periods (stops) or four periods.

    But this also has me a bit paranoid now - what happens if I upgrade to High Sierra or Mojave?
    Did Apple bring the "Save As..." (without using the option key) back in those OSs. Can anyone confirm that?

  2. #32
    Catalina
    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Keller, Texas
    Posts
    58,913
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Rep Power
    53
    But this also has me a bit paranoid now - what happens if I upgrade to High Sierra or Mojave?
    Did Apple bring the "Save As..." (without using the option key) back in those OSs. Can anyone confirm that?
    Still the same for High Sierra and Mojave. The Option key must be depressed in order to bring up the "Save As" menu item for Apple applications. However for other apps such as Office 365, the "Save As" is fixed as a menu item.

  3. #33
    Catalina
    krs's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 16, 2008
    Posts
    1,058
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Still the same for High Sierra and Mojave.
    Thanks,

    I decided to install Mojave on an external partition using a flash installer I had made to then see what I can do about a permanent "Save As..."
    Turns out I use it more than I originally thought - I also use SaveAs to change the image format in Preview, from tiff to png, or tiff to jpg, or png to jpg etc.

    Anyway, the installation of Mojave to the 500 GB external partition went fine, when it came to select the country, etc. I decided to stop at that point since I didn't want to wait several hours right now to also move all my data to that external running Mojave.
    So I booted up again holding down the option key, all my backups showed up that were connected to the Mini and so did the external Mojave partition.I booted back into my internal drive with ElCapitan planning to boot into the Mojave external later tonight to then transfer all my data, but for some reason, the partition with Mojave now shows neither on my desktop where I expected it nor in my start-up drive folder in Preferences.
    I wonder if that is ossibly normal because of the change in Apple's file system.
    Both the internal and external driveson the Mini are spinner drives.

  4. #34
    Catalina
    ferrarr's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 21, 2012
    Location
    Pawtucket, RI, US
    Posts
    6,862
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Rep Power
    13
    Catalina
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    Thanks,

    I decided to install Mojave on an external partition using a flash installer I had made to then see what I can do about a permanent "Save As..."
    Turns out I use it more than I originally thought - I also use SaveAs to change the image format in Preview, from tiff to png, or tiff to jpg, or png to jpg etc.

    Anyway, the installation of Mojave to the 500 GB external partition went fine, when it came to select the country, etc. I decided to stop at that point since I didn't want to wait several hours right now to also move all my data to that external running Mojave.
    So I booted up again holding down the option key, all my backups showed up that were connected to the Mini and so did the external Mojave partition.I booted back into my internal drive with ElCapitan planning to boot into the Mojave external later tonight to then transfer all my data, but for some reason, the partition with Mojave now shows neither on my desktop where I expected it nor in my start-up drive folder in Preferences.
    I wonder if that is ossibly normal because of the change in Apple's file system.
    Both the internal and external driveson the Mini are spinner drives.
    I don’t believe El Capitan can read APFS natively, so, it doesn’t know what it is. I don’t even think there is a third party way to read APFS yet.


    Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

  5. #35
    Catalina
    Rod's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 12, 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Posts
    5,452
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    The process seems to be the same, but the end result is different.
    So either there is a subtle difference or I did actually use some terminal command at the time - but I couldn't find anything on my Mac or via google about doing this using the terminal.
    The difference in the end result is that the way did this, it works in all applications that I have used, and I use a fair number of them.
    In the article it says that the "Macworld method" does not work in Pages, Numbers and Keynotes, I tried all three of those and "Save All..." is an option in all of them - also properly positioned between "Save" and "Duplicate"
    I also don't understand their focusing on the exact text - that sounds to me as if they think this will not work if one only asdds two periods (stops) or four periods.

    But this also has me a bit paranoid now - what happens if I upgrade to High Sierra or Mojave?
    Did Apple bring the "Save As..." (without using the option key) back in those OSs. Can anyone confirm that?
    I tried both sets of instructions and I apologise, there is another difference in your instructions krs, the Option key is omitted ie. Command + Shift + S as opposed to Command + Shift + Option + S but I have tried both in Catalina with Pages and they don't work. I still have to press the Option key to get Save As... to appear.
    MS Word on the other hand has the Save As command under File as usual.
    Last edited by Rod; 10-12-2019 at 09:03 PM.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

  6. #36
    Catalina
    krs's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 16, 2008
    Posts
    1,058
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I tried both sets of instructions and I apologise, there is another difference in your instructions krs, the Option key is omitted ie. Command + Shift + S as opposed to Command + Shift + Option + S but I have tried both in Catalina with Pages and they don't work. I still have to press the Option key to get Save As... to appear.
    MS Word on the other hand has the Save As command under File as usual.
    Did you try Preview by chance?

    After I had installed Mojave on an external partition, I just finished transferring all the data from a back up.
    Unfortunately the back up was labelled wrong and I got all the data from a family member, not mine, so I may have to repeat that whole exercise in the next few days.
    But I did set up the permanent "Save As..." with Mojave and tested it with Preview and with Powerpoint which were the only two applications that person had used on their backup.
    When I tried to launch Pages, a message came up that I needed some additional files which were not there - so I didn't pursue that.
    But at least the "Save As..." works with Preview which is one app where I use that function constantly, so that is great.
    The keyboard short cuts I have used are Shift-Command-S; which makes sense to me since that is the key combination for "Save As..."

    Although I only used Mojave for less than five minutes, I already noticed one functional difference compared to ElCapitan.
    When I launch Dashboard it is there as expected, but to switch back to the desktop which used to work just touching the Escape key, one now has to use the mouse and click at the bottom right arrow.
    On the shortcuts, Show Desktop and Show Dashboard are assigned to F11 and F12, however F11 and F12 are volume up/down keys on my Mac keyboard and they work as such.

  7. #37
    Catalina
    krs's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 16, 2008
    Posts
    1,058
    Rep Power
    12
    I just double checked "Save As..." with Pages on ElCapitan just to be sure, and "Save As..." is definitely there as a permanent item, ie no need to hold the option key.

    However, Pages keeps bugging me to install a "free" update, I'm currently using 5.6.2
    I hope Apple didn't decide that using the keyboard shortcut to make "Save As..." permanently visible was a bug and the fixed that in the update.
    Also just tried it with Text Edit - works with that as well.
    I have thus far not found any app where this did not work (on ElCapitan I should add)



    5.6.2

  8. #38
    Catalina
    Rod's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 12, 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Posts
    5,452
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Rep Power
    14
    Yes, sorry krs, no go on Preview either. It seems like although it works on El Capitan due to some "fix" by Apple it no longer works on later OS's. It is a bit odd you must admit, even the author of the article remarks on that. Entering a keyboard shortcut shouldn't result in the creation of a new menu item, it just does.
    Still pressing one key (Option) is a lot easier than 3-4 keys.
    Having said that though it is a pity that this is not a feature of all macOS. If it turns out to be a bug, it's probably one they shouldn't have fixed. I use it a lot with MS Word where it is a built in feature of the app.
    Last edited by Rod; 10-13-2019 at 01:32 AM.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

  9. #39
    Catalina
    krs's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 16, 2008
    Posts
    1,058
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Yes, sorry krs, no go on Preview either. It seems like although it works on El Capitan due to some "fix" by Apple it no longer works on later OS's.
    It actually still works on Mojave for Preview, I just tested that earlier tonight.
    Couldn't try it on Pages where the Macwold article said it didn't.
    But they also threw in the option key.

    It is a bit odd you must admit, even the author of the article remarks on that. Entering a keyboard shortcut shouldn't result in the creation of a new menu item, it just does.
    Yes, I was just thinking about that earlier tonight. Like you said - it makes no sense that this should work.
    But it also made no sense for Apple to remove it.

  10. #40
    Catalina
    Rod's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 12, 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Posts
    5,452
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Rep Power
    14
    Well, all I can say is it's not working on Preview in Catalina.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

  11. #41
    Catalina
    krs's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 16, 2008
    Posts
    1,058
    Rep Power
    12
    I read somewhere that Apple rewrote a lot of the software for Catalina, so it looks as if they fixed that useful bug.

    I just did a bit more testing of this on ElCapitan, and one needs to use exactly Save As... and Shift+Command+S in keyboard shortcuts or this won't work.

  12. #42
    Catalina
    Slydude's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 16, 2009
    Location
    North Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    14,520
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Rep Power
    25
    Save As is available in Preview under Catalina if you hold down the option key. I haven't tried any of the fixes yet for other programs.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

  13. #43
    Catalina
    krs's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 16, 2008
    Posts
    1,058
    Rep Power
    12
    I started a separate thread about "Save As..." for different macOS versions in general rather than have this subject for older macOSs buried in a Catalina thread
    The "Save As..." option in various macOS versions

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. macOS Catalina (10.15) is now available
    By ferrarr in forum macOS - Operating System
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 11-01-2019, 08:03 PM
  2. Catalina TV/Music/etc
    By danielgmac in forum macOS - Operating System
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-09-2019, 04:39 PM
  3. catalina
    By denniscampbell in forum macOS - Operating System
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-30-2019, 07:02 PM
  4. macOS Catalina Q & A
    By Slydude in forum macOS - Operating System
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-25-2019, 12:51 PM
  5. A First Look at macOS Catalina
    By OneMoreThing... in forum RSS News
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-20-2019, 05:07 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •