Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Like Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Catalina

Catalina
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Save As has not been removed. Just hold down your "Option" key when you press save. It continues to work for Pages and other Apple apps.

Yes, it's not visible if that's what you mean. But then again, if you've been using Macs as long as you claim, you should know Apple does make changes; albeit sometimes making things less visible and perhaps harder for those who are used to old methods.
    I realize it was never completely removed, but adding the extra operation of having to hold down the option key didn't make any sense to me for a function I think most of us use dozens of times a day.
    But did Apple not bring it back? It's certainly in my 'drop-down' in ElCapitan right now - maybe I just enabled it permanently somehow - can't remember.
    However, it looks as if Dashboard is gone for good.

Catalina
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    for a function I think most of us use dozens of times a day.
    Really? Dozens? I used it maybe once a week, more often less than that. And pressing the Option key to get it to appear was pretty painless. There are a lot of features available with the Option key.
    Jake

Catalina
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Really? Dozens? I used it maybe once a week, more often less than that. And pressing the Option key to get it to appear was pretty painless. There are a lot of features available with the Option key.
    I wonder if we are talking about the same thing.
    My typical use is when I scan an image or otherwise download an image and then modify it in some way.
    I always use "Save As..." to save the modification with some small change to the original image name, like an _s5 added to indicate I sharpened it by 0.5 of the max amount or _hdr to indicate I enhanced it with HDR, _1200 to indicate the picture was reduced to 1200 pixels etc.
    Thus keeping the original and all the various changes so that I can go back to any one of them requires me to go through 8 to 10 of these for a single image.
    Once I'm happy with the final result and I don't need to redo any intermediate steps, I delete all the intermediate images.

So dozens of times a day is not an exxageration - "Save As..." is probably the function I use the most almost every day depending on what I'm doing.

Catalina
    Your Mac's Specs
    What application do you do the editing with? Preview has Save As if you press Option.
    Jake

Catalina
    What application do you do the editing with? Preview has Save As if you press Option.
    Depends what I need to do.
    I use Preview a lot for simple editing, then Seashore for specific tasks that Preview can't do or it's awkward to do in Preview, for HDR I have two special apps, sometimes one works better on a specific image, other times the second one works better, then for fixing camera distortion, I use Adobe Photoshop Elements.

But as I said, in ElCapitan, the "Save As..." option is just a straight drop-down under "File", it shows up between "Save" and "Duplicate", so I don't use the option key for any of that.
    The modifier I use the most is the right-click on the mouse.

PS: I vaguely remember doing something with the terminal to bring "Save As..." back the way it used to be (ie without using the option key)

Catalina
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    I have to say I have not used Dashboard for years, there were very few widgets to choose from anyway but my wife still uses it for a currency converter so I'm glad you reminded me.
    On the other hand I use Launch Pad constantly. I arranged the first page so that all of the apps I use most often are there (just like my iPhone). The ones I use constantly are in the dock.
    I can't believe anyone would rather 1. Open Finder. 2. Open the Applications Folder and 3. Scroll through all applications to find one specific app when I can open Launch Pad from the dock and clearly see, in large icons, the app I want an launch it. It even has a smart search bar which only requires one or two letters to narrow the field down to a couple of alternatives.
    As for Screen Shots Jake, there is a native app for screen shots, it was introduced in Mojave, you can just put in your dock.

Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 1.12.27 pm.png

What you get is this, complete with selection tools and notation.
    Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 1.11.49 pm.png

I still prefer the Command + Shift + 3 or 4 but to do what the above app can do I then have to open the screen shot in Preview.

You can also access the Screen Shot app with Command + Shift + 5
    Not only does it take stills but can also record a movie of the screen or selected window complete with sound.

Here is a helpful little You Tube clip with the features and controls, YouTube
    Last edited by Rod; 10-10-2019 at 01:37 AM.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Catalina
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    On the other hand I use Launch Pad constantly. I arranged the first page so that all of the apps I use most often are there (just like my iPhone). The ones I use constantly are in the dock.
    I can't believe anyone would rather 1. Open Finder. 2. Open the Applications Folder and 3. Scroll through all applications to find one specific app when I can open Launch Pad from the dock and clearly see, in large icons, the app I want an launch it.
    Interesting how people use the Mac.
    I have never used Launch Pad, I barely even know what it is.
    But I don't go through the 1, 2, 3 steps either.
    I either just double-click on the file which then opens in the pre-selected application, or if I need the file to open in a different application, I select "Open with..." and select the application I need in the drop-down.
    Other than that I have all the apps I use normally, including 7 browsers which I don't all use, in the dock sitting hidden on the left side of the screen, so just moving the mouse to the left to bring up the dock and clicking on the icon will launch that app. Apps are also arranged in a logical fashion so I find them right away.
    I currently have 25 apps in the dock, all the ones I use 99% of the time unless I have to do something very unique that requires a special app.

I hardly ever use the screen shot keyboard commands simply because I use that feature so seldon that I can't remember the key combination when I need it.
    So I use "Grab" and selection to pick the area I want to take a screen shot of.

Catalina
    Your Mac's Specs
    I can't believe anyone would rather 1. Open Finder. 2. Open the Applications Folder and 3. Scroll through all applications to find one specific app when I can open Launch Pad from the dock and clearly see, in large icons, the app I want an launch it.
    Rod, different strokes for different folks. I have Finder set for the list view, so when I open the Applications folder things are in alphabetical order. I type the first letter of what I want, the list jumps to show those apps that start with that letter at the top and I click on what I want. No shifting to the LaunchPad, just a nice, clean launch. When Apple put LaunchPad out there, I wondered why anyone would ever want to have that monstrosity on the screen.

Just different views on life, I suppose.
    Jake

Catalina
    Your Mac's Specs
    Yes, it's always amazed me at how many different ways there are to do the same thing. I believe the top level folders in list view and although I used to use the single letter input, like typing B for the apps beginning with B in the list I still found the display on the MBP a bit small. For the same reason I don't usually open the file I want from, say, documents. I prefer to open Word and go to recent or search the larger display. Alternatively I might open it direct from Spotlight.
    Back when I did regression testing and provided phone support for field workers using new software it never ceased to amaze me how just when we thought we had covered all the bugs someone would find a different way of doing something that no-one had thought of causing a screen freeze, crash or unexpected outcome.
    That's always been one of the things I likes about Macs, you can do almost anything the way that suits your needs or preferences.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Catalina

Thanks for the reminder Jake, I keep forgetting that option is available. But why does one have to even use it when it could be permanent.

Any way to make it a standard option???

EDIT: Son of a gun... it seems there's been a way for some time and I can't believe I never thought of it:
    Save As ~ Any way to make it a standard option
    How to enable the Save As option on your Mac - Macworld UK

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 10-10-2019 at 08:21 PM.

Catalina
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Thanks for the reminder Jake, I keep forgetting that option is available. But why does one have to even use it when it could be permanent.

Any way to make it a standard option???

- Patrick
    ======
    Not that I am aware of, Patrick. If everything was made visible, the menus would run off the bottom of the screen. I don't know how Apple decides what gets the honor of being visible in default. I suspect some focus group somewhere makes the call.
    Jake

Catalina
    @Patrick - I have had the option "Save As..." visible for years on ElCapitan.

Is that what you want to make permanently visible?

Catalina
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    @Patrick - I have had the option "Save As..." visible for years on ElCapitan.

Is that what you want to make permanently visible?

Yup.

Unfortunately, I can't get the hint suggestion I posted to work. At least, not in Maverics. I may look ito the problem again tomorrow.

EDIT: Son of a gun... it seems there's been a way for some time and I can't believe I never thought of it:
    Save As ~ Any way to make it a standard option

- Patrick
    ======

Catalina
    I just looked at the Macworld UK link you posted.

They state that their permanent "Save As..." "fix" does not work in Pages, Numbers or Keynotes, but works on other apps.

I just tried the one I have (on ElCapitan) with Pages, Numbers and Keynotes, and it works with all of those - and every other app I have ever used.
    So there obviously is a way to bring back "Save As..." permanently.
    I'm going to do some digging on my Mac - maybe I was smart enough to document that somewhere...but I wouldn't count on that

I still think I did a very simple terminal command, but I wouldn't swear to that.

PS: Is this any different than theMacworld UK article?
    I think that may be the way I actually did it (no terminal commands)
    Bring back the Save As command to your Mac's File menu - CNET
    Last edited by krs; 10-10-2019 at 11:37 PM.

Catalina
    Your Mac's Specs
    Catalina
    zkrs they seem pretty much the same except for the focus on wording here; "In the Menu Title box enter the exact following text (without italics) Save As… being sure to capitalise the letters as shown and having three full stops after the second word."
    That isn't stressed as much in the second article.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Thread Information