Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Like Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Problems with macOS Catalina Installation
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    We have already got a post on the "Relocated Items" folder shortcut on the desktop after upgrading, see here; Catalina Update Relocated Items - Can't Delete or Empty Trash
    I have this problem too but not in any big rush to fix that yet.

In the final stage of Installation after clicking "skip/set up later" for Screen Time monitoring and Security settings etc the installer moved onto the "Setting Up Your Mac" window and after 20min I still had the little spinning progress wheel next to setting up your Mac.

I decided to do a little search for this issue and found plenty of incidences on Reddit forums where all the people who posted stated that the only way to get out of the loop was to force shutdown and reboot.

So 30min having now passed and no progress I bit the bullet and followed their suggestion.

All good, I was greeted by some update notifications and apart from that everything is working as hoped.

If anyone has found another solution to this issue I'd love to hear about it.
    Last edited by Rod; 10-08-2019 at 05:20 AM.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

No glitches for me during the update. Everything went smoothly and I also got that relocated folder with just 2 directories, no files. Moved that to the trash and emptied without any issues.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Ashwin, do you have multiple user accounts on your Mac? I have multiple accounts and noticed one of the folders was from the other account, so I'm wondering if that was why it couldn't delete?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

I do have multiple user accounts on my machine, my account and an admin account used by the company to manage the system. I have to imagine that the files that were relocated (and in my case they were) were from the system folders, not specific to each use. One of the folders I had was /Library/System/CoreServices and I can't remember the second one but it was under /Library/System as well. But they were moved into my local folder (and owned by me), thus I could delete them. If they were still owned by Root, I would have had to resort to the command line to remove them.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    I haven't tried to trash the files so far, had other things to do. I'll give that a shot tomorrow.
    Launchpad is a bit odd, my second "page" only has 3 apps on it, the rest are full except the last page.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    I don't know if this is a problem, but full screen windows, now have to be swiped the opposite way. I used to swipe from left to right, to get back to the Desktop. Now I have to go from right to left, to get back to the Desktop.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    We have already got a post on the "Relocated Items" folder shortcut on the desktop after upgrading, see here; Catalina Update Relocated Items - Can't Delete or Empty Trash
    I have this problem too but not in any big rush to fix that yet.

In the final stage of Installation after clicking "skip/set up later" for Screen Time monitoring and Security settings etc the installer moved onto the "Setting Up Your Mac" window and after 20min I still had the little spinning progress wheel next to setting up your Mac.

I decided to do a little search for this issue and found plenty of incidences on Reddit forums where all the people who posted stated that the only way to get out of the loop was to force shutdown and reboot.

So 30min having now passed and no progress I bit the bullet and followed their suggestion.

All good, I was greeted by some update notifications and apart from that everything is working as hoped.

If anyone has found another solution to this issue I'd love to hear about it.
    I had the same issue on my MacBook Air. I don't know of a solution, or how there could be one since you have no opportunity to interact in any way with the process until this point. The only thing to consider trying is, rather than an "upgrade" install, instead do a clean install and then migrate your user data and apps from a backup.

Edit: to be clear, the problem I'm referring to is the lockup of the system when it prompts you about Screen Time.
    Last edited by Lifeisabeach; 10-08-2019 at 04:03 PM. Reason: added note for clarity

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    As already pointed out in another thread, the relocated items folder(s) are aliases not the actual folders themselves. So far everyone that has deleted them have not encountered any issues. And as I told Rod in another thread, this is something that Apple will have to correct in a future update.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    Only problem encountered is removing the red '1' on System Preferences icon.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    Only problem encountered is removing the red '1' on System Preferences icon.
    Check the Apple Account preferences panel. It wants you to verify your Apple ID password to complete set up. I had to do this four or five times before it finally went away.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    I don't know if this is a problem, but full screen windows, now have to be swiped the opposite way. I used to swipe from left to right, to get back to the Desktop. Now I have to go from right to left, to get back to the Desktop.

Gee, am I really that out of date, but since when has any MacOS version incorporated window swipe??? Or am I misunderstanding something about the latest macOS version??

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Patrick, you haven't been keeping up with the Trackpad Gestures preferences. It's a revelation when you do. Personally I'm very mouse oriented so I never really make full use of Gestures either but the Three Finger swipe has actually been around for years. I revisit the setting every year or so and I'm often amazed at what can be done with "pinching" and multiple finger actions problem is I just cant remember them all.

Patrick, you haven't been keeping up with the Trackpad Gestures preferences.

Thanks Rod.

I keep forgetting that some Macs with trackpads, and the portable laptops have an additional input method, and especially considering I'm an avid, compulsive third-party Mouser.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Gee, am I really that out of date, but since when has any MacOS version incorporated window swipe??? Or am I misunderstanding something about the latest macOS version??

- Patrick
    ======
    I believe it became available with the Magic Mouse, which is what I’m using. I used to swipe from left to right on the mouse, and the current full screen window would swipe off the screen in the same direction. It does work in both directions, and the Desktops (Spaces) are numbered. So Desktop # 1, would be the first and so on, left to right. I usually have three or four apps open to full screen and swipe between them. Since Catalina, whenever I sign in and they windows are reversed.

Oops, I forgot to mention, it works with Mission Control.
    -- Bob --

Your Mac's Specs
    I too occasionally use it with Mission Control myself, usually if I'm away and cant be bothered getting the mouse out, but like Patrick I'm also a compulsive 3rd party mouse user.

Thread Information