Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Catalina Update Relocated Items - Can't Delete or Empty Trash
    I just completed the Catalina update which created a shortcut on my desktop called "Relocated Items." Inside is a PDF file that states these relocated files could not be handled by the update and were moved to this folder. I moved the folder to trash, and tried to empty trash, but some of the files cannot be deleted. I get a series of error messages (screenshots attached). Thing of it is, there is no "Put Back" option in right click either, so I now have files in the trash I can't do anything with. I tried booting in safe mode to empty trash but got the same errors.

Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 12.08.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 12.09.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 12.09.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 12.09.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 12.09.58 AM.png

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    This is definitely a glitch in the update to Catalina. It was present during the beta updates and appeared again in the final release. Apple will likely deal with this in a future update. I was able to delete my "Relocated Items" each time during the beta and again for the final release. Note that the relocated items folder is actually an alias which is supposed to refer back to the original location. However, it appears it doesn't which is why I believe this is something that Apple will have to take care of.

In the meantime try these suggestions:

Force delete files from Trash

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    My suggestion at this time would be to "Skip" each task and put them back on the Desktop for now.
    As I am just in the process of upgrading to Catalina myself there is little more I can say.
    As soon as everyone has had a little time up with the new OS we will probably see a solution posted somewhere online.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    Well upgrade completed and I too have the "Relocated Items" shortcut on the desktop.
    Using Right click I "Show Original" which turns out to be in Macintosh HD > Users > Shared.
    The entire folder only takes up 1.1MB, the majority of that being the information document about the folder which states;

"Some of your files had been in a location that is now incompatible with macOS security settings. These files were moved to the Security folder for your review.
    If there are any files you want to keep, you can move them to a new location, as long as it is different from their location before the upgrade or migration".

So I moved the shortcut to the same location and will deal with it once there is a little more information available.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    There are several long threads over at MacRumors about this. It was pointed out that since the relocated items folder(s) were actually aliases that they were probably already located elsewhere. As I stated above, I removed the folders during the beta and now also for the final release. No apparent issues have come up after the removal. I should mention that I have Catalina installed on an external SSD not my internal SSD on my iMac.

However, you can deal with those folders anyway you see fit until Apple corrects the problem.

I started an identical post on the Apple Communities forum and a user "alanwsx" offered a solution that worked for me:

Catalina Update Relocated Items - Can'… - Apple Community

1. Reboot and go to Cmd+R recovery mode
    2. disable SIP by `csrutil disable`
    3. Reboot to normal mode and delete that folder, empty trash
    4. Reboot and go to Cmd+R recovery mode
    5. re-enable SIP by `csrutil enable`
    6. Reboot to normal mode

Your Mac's Specs
    Good idea badAjective, it did occur to me after I replied to your first post in this thread that turning off SIP might overcome your problem but I think chscag's suggested link would also work and it's a great article with a lot of other helpful info too.
    As it turns out after moving the shortcut to the same folder as the original last night I thought this morning I would just try trashing the original. On moving it to Trash I was asked to enter my Admin Password, which i did, then I moved the shortcut, then I emptied the trash, no issues, all gone.
    It may be necessary to trash the original first, can't be sure of that now, and give admin permission before trying to trash the shortcut, and most certainly before trying to empty the Trash.
    In any case problem solved, thanks for your reply and well done solving your problem.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 21.5" 3.1GHz Core i7 16GB RAM Catalina. iPad Air. iPhone 6S. iPod nano.
    I would just try trashing the original. On moving it to Trash I was asked to enter my Admin Password, which i did, then I moved the shortcut, then I emptied the trash, no issues, all gone.
    It may be necessary to trash the original first, can't be sure of that now, and give admin permission before trying to trash the shortcut, and most certainly before trying to empty the Trash.
    In any case problem solved, thanks for your reply and well done solving your problem.

Just tried this and it worked a treat as long as you trash the original before the shortcut. Nice one!
    Peter - I used to be paranoid but now I just worry all the time

Thread Information