Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    macOS Catalina (10.15) is now available
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    I'm not quite ready to call it Vista, yet. Just disappointed that MA didn't work, didn't give any reason for not working. That experience now argues against a nuke/pave installation, just an overlay. But my printer drivers are still 32 bit and I need them for business purposes, so I'll wait. No more experimenting.
    Welp, I'm ready to call it Apple's Vista, at least as far as nags are concerned. Despite going through this last week on my iMac after first installing Catalina, I am now once again being prompted to update my Apple ID settings. I literally just spent the past 5 minutes alternately clicking "Continue", "Continue" once again; enter my iCloud password; and enter my iMac's user account password. Over and over and over. This is insane.I had an app I was using the other day that I had to acknowledge "Yes, I want it to access my Downloads". "Yes, I do want it to access my Desktop". "Yes, I do want it to access my external drive". Aaaaaarrrrghhhh!!

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 21.5" 3.1GHz Core i7 16GB RAM Catalina. iPad Air. iPhone 6S. iPod nano.
    I think Vista is a bit strong, I seem to have been relatively lucky with Catalina so far.

After a couple of days fiddling, and courtesy of updated printer drivers from Canon, I only have one outstanding issue left - when I print onto the surface of a disc it misses it completely and prints on the tray!! I suppose it would be easier to just write on the disc.
    Peter - I used to be paranoid but now I just worry all the time

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    So, I experienced only one issue and it was with Reminders not syncing to Catalina.

Trying to solve the issue, Sunday I erased the drive and installed Catalina. When I used MA to get all my info/data/files/etc from Time Machine, it worked, but ended with an error stating that one of my User accounts couldn’t be created. It then asked me to create a password for the admin account (which is the account it told me was not created). I gave it the same password as I was using, and it finished and everything was working. Except for Reminders still weren’t syncing.

So I erased the drive again On Monday, and just did a clean install of Catalina. Then I copied the files and data I needed. Reminders is still not syncing, and I noticed that iCloud has lost all my Reminders Lists as well. They only exist completely on my iPhone. So yesterday, I started a ticket on a call into Apple Support, and I should be getting a call Bach either today or tomorrow.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Apple is already testing 10.15.1 and recently released a supplemental update to Catalina. Many of the reported problems - nags, reminders, notes, mail, - are being looked at. I don't know whether Apple will get them fixed all in one update though. We will have to wait and see.

In the meantime.... Hasta La Vista Baby!

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by pine man View Post
    I think Vista is a bit strong, I seem to have been relatively lucky with Catalina so far.

After a couple of days fiddling, and courtesy of updated printer drivers from Canon, I only have one outstanding issue left - when I print onto the surface of a disc it misses it completely and prints on the tray!! I suppose it would be easier to just write on the disc.
    Maybe a bit strong, but it's easily their weakest release since Lion. It's been largely smooth for me, though the nags get old after a while, even if I understand why they exist. I wish I could just dial back the security a little myself. My only other main issue for me is the undetectable "Relocated" folder. There's a symlink in it that I can't trash because macOS has it flagged as required by the system (brought up in another thread). The hoops I will have to jump through to actually get rid of it is just inexcusable. I also had to re-add much of the music track artwork in my wife's user account. I didn't need to for myself, but did for her. This in particular is a widespread problem for others.

There are just so many issues other people are reporting, though much of it is growing pains (loss of 32-bit support, which I get sucks for some people, but that's progress). On the other hand, someone here did a nuke and pave, but when migrating their user data over, it got jumbled. Something this critical is inexcusable. I just had to buy a new MacBook Air (literally just an hour ago) due to what now appears to be an unresolvable hardware or firmware issue I developed right before Catalina came out that is getting worse, and I will have no choice but to manually migrate bits and pieces over to the new MBA. "Just works", my eye.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Your Mac's Specs
    I just had to buy a new MacBook Air (literally just an hour ago) due to what now appears to be an unresolvable hardware or firmware issue I developed right before Catalina came out that is getting worse, and I will have no choice but to manually migrate bits and pieces over to the new MBA. "Just works", my eye.
    I believe I mentioned it another post.... Catalina includes a firmware update for certain devices. The only one I know of is the Mac Mini. Folks have reported that even when going back to Mojave, the firmware update sticks. Maybe you got caught up the same way.

@pine man

You should be able to correct the alignment with whatever app Canon provides for direct-disc printing and they used to use Canon CDLabelPrint you can find here:
    Canon Cd-labelprint Mac Os X 10.9 - download

Or whatever other app they use these days.

I guess I'll have to check my own Canon PIXMA MX 922 some day as I haven't used its direct-print to disk option.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    What's baffling to me is that many of the bugs being reported did not appear for me in the betas. Some of the bugs seem to be associated with software that I don't use on a regular basis and therefore may not have fully tested during the betas.

The one bug I can think of that's here for me now and wasn't in the betas is that relocated items issue. It's here for me now and I don't think I saw it at all in the betas.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Just out of curiosity (I didn't participate in the beta) did the beta create the two volumes like the release does? One with the system, the other with the user data? From what I've read, the Relocated issue comes from some system files from third party software that Catalina doesn't know what to do with (orphaned? 32-bit?) so they get stuffed into the Relocated folder. Then because the files are on the System Volume, which is read-only, the user cannot delete the file until they go into the Recovery mode and get to the file on the System drive. At least, that's what I've read.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    If I remember correctly the betas did indeed create the two volumes but I don't remember the relocated items folder being on the desktop. I'm working from memory so I could be wrong.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    The one bug I can think of that's here for me now and wasn't in the betas is that relocated items issue. It's here for me now and I don't think I saw it at all in the betas.
    I got it in beta 1 and it continued throughout the betas and it appeared in the final gold release.

And yes, I agree with Sly, the betas also divided the container into two volumes. When I first saw it, I thought it was an error with my drive. I do like that feature as it provides additional security for an already secure operating system. One strong reason why there are no viruses that can attack macOS.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    I like the two drive design as well, but I find it curious that Apple chose to put them together again in Finder in Catalina. At least that's what I have heard, as I cannot get a good install on a USB thumb drive so far. I would think they would just step up and say what they have done, that the System drive is simply not available to users anymore as a security measure. System wizards would figure a way around that eventually, of course, but the average user would just say "OK" and move on with life.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I believe I mentioned it another post.... Catalina includes a firmware update for certain devices. The only one I know of is the Mac Mini. Folks have reported that even when going back to Mojave, the firmware update sticks. Maybe you got caught up the same way.
    No, it's definitely pre-Catalina. Interestingly, I had the issue start right about the same time AdGuard had to update their "AdGuard for Safari" app for compatibility with Safari 13. AdGuard would frequently stop responding, forcing me to force-quit it. It's a known issue as far as it locking up, but entirely coincidental to my MBA locking up entirely. Unless it was unusually sensitive to whatever is going on. Basically, the MBA is locking up hard some time after going to sleep. It can happen in as little as 15 minutes, sometimes it takes a couple hours. It happens when booted into Windows too, so it's not a macOS issue. It doesn't seem to happen when plugged in to power. I've tried the usual troubleshooting steps, including resetting PRAM and SMC. No effect.

So check this out. On the new MBA here, I clean installed Catalina to it, then re-created my user and am slowly copying all my files back manually. Now you know that issue with the Apple ID preference panel constantly wanting my name and password to "update" the settings? I was asked once; I entered it; and done. On the old MBA, my iMac, and on my wife's Mac mini, we had to do it several times before it stopped asking (day of installs). Today, my iMac started asking for it again, over and over before I gave up.

------
    ------

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 21.5" 3.1GHz Core i7 16GB RAM Catalina. iPad Air. iPhone 6S. iPod nano.
    Patrick

You should be able to correct the alignment with whatever app Canon provides for direct-disc printing and they used to use Canon CDLabelPrint you can find here:

That is what I used to use but it was only 32bit so I started using a different Canon app found within Image Garden, which appeared to be 64bit, and it worked fine until I catalina'd my mac and it transpired that it was a 32/64bit app. You can manipulate the positioning within the app but not far enough to get it properly in the centre. I expect they'll issue a new one soon but in the meantime I can use the same software on my wife's PC to do the occassional disc print.

Thanks for your interest and advice.

Peter
    Peter - I used to be paranoid but now I just worry all the time

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Well that was painful. Since the nuke-and-pave went so well on the new MacBook, I decided to do the same on my iMac with manually copying apps and files back over. That nag to enter my passwords to update my Apple ID never went away, and I had an odd graphic glitch during part of the login process. And of course that "Relocated" folder with the symlink that can't be deleted. This took basically all day due to the much larger base of apps and data. I've done this a few times over the years since it is a good way to clean out the cruft, but it is tedious. But all is well now. Well mostly. Even though I had put the iTunes library files back in place, Music decided this time to lose all the artwork. I decided to just rebuild that library from scratch. Oddly, I have one game (Pro Pinball Remastered) that worked fine on the upgrade-install of Catalina, although there was a minor glitch in trying to access a menu item. Now, there are severe graphical anomalies and I can't even see the menus or launch the game. Very odd, but the developers appear to have abandoned it, so there's no hope of a fix.It actually works fine on the MBA (aside from one issue where the menus don't work when in full-screen), so maybe it's just a driver issue that Apple needs to fix.

Anyway, with all the under-the-hood changes and given the issues I and others have had (minor as they may be), it seems this is the best approach to get a fully functional system... but it's not for the faint of heart.

------
    ------

Thread Information