Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    hmmmm. Hearing problem re MS Office 2016, can anyone confirm that it works on Catalina?

Application Compatibility Table — RoaringApps lists it as a ??? at the moment.

G

macOS Catalina (10.15) is now available
    Kent, WA (about 25 miles south of Seattle); up in "God's Country"
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2012 Mac Mini Running OS 10.14.6; Mid 2017 MacBook Air running OS 10.14.6
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelza View Post
    hmmmm. Hearing problem re MS Office 2016, can anyone confirm that it works on Catalina?

Application Compatibility Table — RoaringApps lists it as a ??? at the moment.

G
    That would mean it has not been verified to be compatible with Catalina. You'll have to keep checking to see if and when it becomes compatible (will most likely require downloading an update.

Do you have any other third party software? If you do, make sure all of them are compatible before going to Catalina.

By the way, I appreciate the post. I just looked at that link, and so far, VLC, Transmission, LibreOffice, and 1Password are compatible with Catalina. Some other ones I use, SuperDuper!, Tech Tool Pro, EasyFind, Quicken 2017, Onyx, and ApCleaner, are not yet compatible. But except for TechTool Pro (which will most likely be later on), I expect the other ones to be compatible soon.
    Last edited by honestone33; 10-09-2019 at 12:20 AM.
    The KISS philosophy: Keep It Simple, Stupid.
    Attitude reflects leadership, Captain.
    Go along, and we'll get along.

I have some others, VirtualBox, TrainerRoad, VLC, iSkysoft Video Converter, iTube Studio, appCleaner, Cyberduck, Cisco VPN, Docker, Goland, Pycharm, MS Remote Desktop, qBitTorrent, Skype, VNCViewer, WhatsApp, etc

The biggest work critical that I need to work immediately is MS Office though, the others I can imagine will get updates in the first week so can life with waiting for them.

Just hoping someone on here has MSOffice 2016 and can confirm they've upgraded and it works.
    G
    Last edited by georgelza; 10-09-2019 at 12:51 AM.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    I've got a Harmony 950, Harmony Hub, and one of the other hub-based remotes. Until they release an update for the software, which is garbage IMHO, I'm stuck with the following options:

1. Use the IOS-based software to make changes
    2. Use the Windows version of the software
    3. Continue to run the software under Mojave

I'm not especially impressed with their support or software but I like their remotes. My only argument with the 950 is that the IR emitter in that remote isn't especially good. Unless it is pointed almost directly at my receiver the receiver does not change inputs reliably.
    The new app supports the 950. For the hub-based remotes, from reading their support page, it looks like they have no intentions of providing a desktop-based update and instead are sticking with smartphone apps.

Important message: macOS to no longer support 32 bit applications – Logitech Support + Download

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    I have some others, VirtualBox, TrainerRoad, VLC, iSkysoft Video Converter, iTube Studio, appCleaner, Cyberduck, Cisco VPN, Docker, Goland, Pycharm, MS Remote Desktop, qBitTorrent, Skype, VNCViewer, WhatsApp, etc

The biggest work critical that I need to work immediately is MS Office though, the others I can imagine will get updates in the first week so can life with waiting for them.

Just hoping someone on here has MSOffice 2016 and can confirm they've upgraded and it works.
    G
    I can vouch for VirtualBox and App Cleaner. Both appear to work flawlessly for me.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Thanks for that link. I hadn't seen that page. I had seen the page which basically outlined the option to keep using Mojave.

I've had the IOS app on my phone and iPad for several months now. As I mentioned I find their support a bit poor and the site is somewhat confusing. The 950 was working a bit more reliably than it is now but something borked up and I haven't gotten t working to the wife's satisfaction yet.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Just got this from a friend:
    For office you need : office 365 OR office 2019 OR office 2016 v15.35 or later.
    Office 2011 will never work

I'm running office 16.16.14 so all seems good. will take the chance shortly, have the dmg downloaded, going into a long meeting so will start it as I walk to meeting and hopefully have a nice new OS when I get back.

G

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6

G
    Hi georgelza,

I'm assuming from your posts that you have NOT yet upgraded to macOS Catalina? If MS Office 2016 is work critical, and if I'm not being impudent, what's the rush? Why not stay with your current Operating System until the dust settles, so to speak?

Better to stick with a fully operational Operating System than take risks with a new System that is still in its infancy

Ian
    Ian

Hi all

Upgrade done,
    OneNote 16.16.14, Word 16.16.14 and Excel 16.16.14 As part of Office 2016 all good.

I do have some icons showing up with "no entry" signs over them, will look and report later.

G

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    Thanks for that link. I hadn't seen that page. I had seen the page which basically outlined the option to keep using Mojave.

I've had the IOS app on my phone and iPad for several months now. As I mentioned I find their support a bit poor and the site is somewhat confusing. The 950 was working a bit more reliably than it is now but something borked up and I haven't gotten t working to the wife's satisfaction yet.
    You aren't kidding about their support being poor. Just the fact that their software required Microsoft Silverlight was weak. And dragging their feet on doing a proper Mac app for so long despite MS announcing they were discontinuing Silverlight in... let's see... 2012! And Apple firing warning shots about deprecating 32-bit support for over 2 years now. It's shameful. Wanna know what else is crazy? The old app couldn't be quit using CMD-Q. Not even assigning the key commands in the keyboard preferences panel would do the trick... no surprise there since it wasn't a Mac-native app. Now, you'd think they'd have the command working in the new app since it's Mac-native, but nooooo.... the keyboard command isn't there, BUT! You can add it via the Keyboard prefs. It's crazy!

Anywho, I tried running the new app on Mojave but no dice. It firmly requires 10.15+.

------
    ------

Your Mac's Specs

G
    From the link mentioned above:

Application Compatibility Table — RoaringApps

you will see that VLC is already compatible. I don't use any of the others in your list, so you'll need to check them out on that page one by one.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifeisabeach View Post
    I can vouch for VirtualBox and App Cleaner. Both appear to work flawlessly for me.
    Thanks for that, regarding AppCleaner. In visiting their website, there is no indication if it being compatible with Catalina:

AppCleaner

Yet, on that other site, it says it is. Again, thanks for verifying that it is.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    Hi georgelza,

I'm assuming from your posts that you have NOT yet upgraded to macOS Catalina? If MS Office 2016 is work critical, and if I'm not being impudent, what's the rush? Why not stay with your current Operating System until the dust settles, so to speak?

Better to stick with a fully operational Operating System than take risks with a new System that is still in its infancy

Ian
    That's EXCELLENT advice, and one I have always gone along with. As it is, given that Micromat will (most likely, based on prior history) not have a version of Tech Tool Pro for Catalina ready for a couple of months, I suspect by the time that happens, the .2 release of Catalina will already be available. Just like last year, I will then most likely wait until the .3 release of Catalina. By that time, almost all of the bugs in Catalina will have been worked out.

ye, noticed after posting that that VLC is listed

G

Quote Originally Posted by honestone33 View Post
    From the link mentioned above:

Application Compatibility Table — RoaringApps

you will see that VLC is already compatible. I don't use any of the others in your list, so you'll need to check them out on that page one by one.
    - - - Updated - - -

I can confirm, tested myself, both App Cleaner and Virtual box worked, so not a link that says yes, I've done the upgrade and confirmed this now.

G

Quote Originally Posted by honestone33 View Post
    Thanks for that, regarding AppCleaner. In visiting their website, there is no indication if it being compatible with Catalina:

AppCleaner

Yet, on that other site, it says it is. Again, thanks for verifying that it is.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    I don't know what everyone's experience has been with running macOS in a VM, but I did a little reading and experimenting today. I've never gotten VirtualBox to install OS X in a vm even though Apple has allowed it since 10.7, but I knew Parallels and VMWare supported it. I found an article detailing how to get macOS on VirtualBox by first starting with an install under a free trial VMWare Fusion (link below for anyone interested), but the process is rather convoluted. I started to try it, but with all the hoops to jump through, I wound up just doing a full install of Mojave under VMWare Fusion and it went smoothly with no hoops to jump through. I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy it. VirtualBox is just too much of a hassle for this.

MacStrategy | Article | Virtualising OS X 10.11 El Capitan

------
    ------

Thread Information