Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Like Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    ye, noticed after posting that that VLC is listed

G

Quote Originally Posted by honestone33 View Post
    From the link mentioned above:

Application Compatibility Table — RoaringApps

you will see that VLC is already compatible. I don't use any of the others in your list, so you'll need to check them out on that page one by one.
    - - - Updated - - -

I can confirm, tested myself, both App Cleaner and Virtual box worked, so not a link that says yes, I've done the upgrade and confirmed this now.

G

Quote Originally Posted by honestone33 View Post
    Thanks for that, regarding AppCleaner. In visiting their website, there is no indication if it being compatible with Catalina:

AppCleaner

Yet, on that other site, it says it is. Again, thanks for verifying that it is.

macOS Catalina (10.15) is now available
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    I don't know what everyone's experience has been with running macOS in a VM, but I did a little reading and experimenting today. I've never gotten VirtualBox to install OS X in a vm even though Apple has allowed it since 10.7, but I knew Parallels and VMWare supported it. I found an article detailing how to get macOS on VirtualBox by first starting with an install under a free trial VMWare Fusion (link below for anyone interested), but the process is rather convoluted. I started to try it, but with all the hoops to jump through, I wound up just doing a full install of Mojave under VMWare Fusion and it went smoothly with no hoops to jump through. I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy it. VirtualBox is just too much of a hassle for this.

MacStrategy | Article | Virtualising OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    LIAB, I did the same thing with Parallels, but cannot discover if 32 bit apps will run in the virtual machine under Catalina. I have two conflicting answers, yes and no. So I'm holding off until the developer of the printer drivers I need gets the 64-bit versions out. I did get an email saying they are working on it, so I am moderately optimistic.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    LIAB, I did the same thing with Parallels, but cannot discover if 32 bit apps will run in the virtual machine under Catalina. I have two conflicting answers, yes and no. So I'm holding off until the developer of the printer drivers I need gets the 64-bit versions out. I did get an email saying they are working on it, so I am moderately optimistic.
    I didn’t get a chance to try out 32-bit apps yet in the VM but will sometime tomorrow. That and Wineskin-wrapped apps in the VM.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifeisabeach View Post
    I didn’t get a chance to try out 32-bit apps yet in the VM but will sometime tomorrow. That and Wineskin-wrapped apps in the VM.
    Ok, so I was able to run a 32-bit game (GNOG by Double Fine) in a Mojave vm under VMWare Fusion 11.5 on Catalina. This same game definitely will not run under Catalina. It ran very sluggishly, but my MBA isn't well specced for something this demanding. I tried running a couple Wineskinned apps but never got their UI to open up. But that may be due to my system getting sluggish from all the overhead from the VM. It's silly anyway to run a Windows app using Wineskin in a macOS vm.... may as well just use a Windows vm to run the app.

------
    ------

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    It's silly anyway to run a Windows app using Wineskin in a macOS vm.... may as well just use a Windows vm to run the app.
    I agree. Right now I'm holding on for CodeWeavers to come out with a new version of CrossOver that supposedly will be able to run Windows 32 bit apps from Catalina. I'm not entirely certain they will succeed in doing so. Using WINE to wrap Windows apps to run from macOS is hard enough, but with the 64 bit restriction it's even more difficult.

My other option is to run VirtualBox and install my copy of Windows 7 or ReactOS (a Windows clone).

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I agree. Right now I'm holding on for CodeWeavers to come out with a new version of CrossOver that supposedly will be able to run Windows 32 bit apps from Catalina. I'm not entirely certain they will succeed in doing so. Using WINE to wrap Windows apps to run from macOS is hard enough, but with the 64 bit restriction it's even more difficult.

My other option is to run VirtualBox and install my copy of Windows 7 or ReactOS (a Windows clone).
    I need to take a harder look at ReactOS sometime, especially if it’s “lighter” than Windows and more suitable for a vm. I’m planning to upgrade my iMac this weekend (current model with plenty of RAM) so I’ll report back on how well it handles more apps in a vm.

I saw CodeWeaver’s current results and it’s looking promising, although I agree getting parity with the current compatibility may never happen.

------
    ------

some strange programs not showing compatible atm...
    iPhoto, GarageBand,

for the non apple stuff I'll contact the vendors and see/hear.

G

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    The iPhoto app and older version of GarageBand are 32 bit and no longer supported by Apple. iPhoto has been replaced by Photos and there is a new version of GarageBand in the Mac App store. Both are 64 bit and will work with Catalina.

ye, but you'd think this is Apple controlled, installed Apps. App would have removed them, similar to how they removed iTunes and replaced with Music/Podcast and TV.

G

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelza View Post
    ye, but you'd think this is Apple controlled, installed Apps. App would have removed them, similar to how they removed iTunes and replaced with Music/Podcast and TV.

G
    Two different things, one set, is included with OS, the other(s) are not.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

... ye but I did not install Garage band or iPhoto, as such I see it as shipped and maintained by Apple.
    but guess I"m expecting to much.

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    That would depend on what OS you run in that VM. So if you run Mojave or previous version of macOS on a VM in Parallels on Catalina, you can still use those 32-bit applications within that VM. This might be a viable solutions for those that want to stick with 32-bit applications that will not be upgraded until they find alternatives.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifeisabeach View Post
    I need to take a harder look at ReactOS sometime, especially if it’s “lighter” than Windows and more suitable for a vm. I’m planning to upgrade my iMac this weekend (current model with plenty of RAM) so I’ll report back on how well it handles more apps in a vm.

I saw CodeWeaver’s current results and it’s looking promising, although I agree getting parity with the current compatibility may never happen.
    Alrighty, upgrades are complete here. With Mojave running in a VM under VMWare Fusion, 32-bit apps and games will run, albeit sluggishly at least when it comes to games, but that's to be expected. I couldn't get any of my Wineskin-wrapped Windows apps to run, but it'd make more sense to run those Windows apps in a Windows VM anyway so no loss for anyone but the most extreme Windows haters out there.

I had a mixed bag of issues. On my wife's Mac mini, Music somehow failed to import the artwork for much of her music, even though that artwork is embedded in the m4v/mp4 files. On my iMac, I don't appear to be missing any artwork. I don't get why this happened, but it's an easy fix... remove the albums that are missing artwork and re-import. Other issues... I had to reinstall a couple apps even though they were compatible (Private Internet Access and Steermouse). There may be more that I'll find over time that will need reinstalling. Otherwise, it's gone well. There are a LOT more requests to authorize apps to do different things ("app" wants to access your Downloads folder; "app" wants to access your Documents folder; "app" wants to access an external device (my USB drive). These were all necessary and triggered by normal use, but man oh man it was getting annoying.

I have to say that I LOVE being able to sync and manage my iDevices via the Finder. I've always hated having to make a special effort to open iTunes just to sync, especially since my iMac is in a room upstairs. No more! A couple things to be aware of. You'll have to plug in your iDevice into the Mac and check the settings to be sure you are set to "Show this iPhone" when on Wi-Fi" and "Automatically sync...". Once done, and after doing an initial sync, you will need to reboot your iDevice and the Mac for the device to show up wirelessly in Finder. After this point, anytime you charge your device from any source (including a wireless charging base), it will automatically sync to the Mac.

------
    ------

Thread Information