Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    macOS Catalina (10.15) is now available
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    It's good to see Apple becoming anglicised and renaming the TRASH as BIN
    Yes indeed. They started this with iOS 13 for iDevices.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    I dove right in with my MacBook Air last night. I was actually surprised to see it was supported (mid-2012 model) because I could have sworn it was previously reported to not be on the compatibility list. I had already weeded out all 32-bit apps on it anyway, so it has largely been a smooth transition. One of my bigger concerns was going to be programming my Logitech Harmony remotes since their software was definitely not going to be compatible, but they released a new overhauled app literally just in time.

I did run into a couple unexpected hiccups with screensavers. I had one that macOS refused to use because the developer couldn't be identified and only offered to delete it. What I had to do was go to the Screen Savers folder in my Library; right-click on the screen saver file; and select "Open" (same process as regular apps from unidentified developers). Obviously only do this if you trust the developer. One other screensaver that is jacked up is Dream Aquarium. The developer posted a beta update for Catalina support, but I can't change any options in the saver because Catalina disallows keyboard input for screensavers. Hopefully he can figure out a workaround.

I'm going to upgrade my wife's Mac mini this weekend, which should go equally smoothly. I'm going to sit on upgrading the iMac at this time thanks to a handful of 32-bit games on there (even though I'm not actually playing them) as well as some apps running under Wineskin that will be dead in the water. I think eventually I'm just going to set it up for dual-booting Mojave and Catalina as well as running Mojave in a VM. To be more practical though, I may as well just get and use the Windows-versions of the 32-bit games and apps that I can't or don't want to run in a VM since I already have Windows set up as Boot Camp.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Quote Originally Posted by pine man View Post

It's good to see Apple becoming anglicised and renaming the TRASH as BIN
    I've noticed some of our TV news people have picked up some bad grammar and pronunciation from their counterparts across the pond.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    @LB Thanks for the info about the Logitech software for programming their remotes. It was one of only three or four 32-bit apps I still use.

Edit: Which remote are you using? All of the info I find for my remote seems to suggest that the Catalna update won't happen until some time in November at the earliest.
    Last edited by Slydude; 10-08-2019 at 09:44 PM.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    @LB Thanks for the info about the Logitech software for programming their remotes. It was one of only three or four 32-bit apps I still use.

Edit: Which remote are you using? All of the info I find for my remote seems to suggest that the Catalna update won't happen until some time in November at the earliest.
    I’m using the Harmony 650. There is some confusion on their site on the matter. The app that is available now replaces the MyHarmony app that required Microsoft Silverlight to work (good riddance to that!) and the download link only gives you the new version if you are on Catalina. Otherwise you get the old version. What’s coming in November is a replacement for the older 7.x software that supports much older remotes.

The new app that I’m using looks a whole lot different, but appears to be fully functional. I don’t know why it’s not supported on older macOS versions. Heck, maybe it does work. I’ll copy it off my MBA and try it out on my iMac running Mojave when i get a chance tomorrow.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    I've got a Harmony 950, Harmony Hub, and one of the other hub-based remotes. Until they release an update for the software, which is garbage IMHO, I'm stuck with the following options:

1. Use the IOS-based software to make changes
    2. Use the Windows version of the software
    3. Continue to run the software under Mojave

I'm not especially impressed with their support or software but I like their remotes. My only argument with the 950 is that the IR emitter in that remote isn't especially good. Unless it is pointed almost directly at my receiver the receiver does not change inputs reliably.
    Kevin Durant

hmmmm. Hearing problem re MS Office 2016, can anyone confirm that it works on Catalina?

Application Compatibility Table — RoaringApps lists it as a ??? at the moment.

G

I have some others, VirtualBox, TrainerRoad, VLC, iSkysoft Video Converter, iTube Studio, appCleaner, Cyberduck, Cisco VPN, Docker, Goland, Pycharm, MS Remote Desktop, qBitTorrent, Skype, VNCViewer, WhatsApp, etc

The biggest work critical that I need to work immediately is MS Office though, the others I can imagine will get updates in the first week so can life with waiting for them.

Just hoping someone on here has MSOffice 2016 and can confirm they've upgraded and it works.
    G
    Last edited by georgelza; 10-09-2019 at 12:51 AM.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    I've got a Harmony 950, Harmony Hub, and one of the other hub-based remotes. Until they release an update for the software, which is garbage IMHO, I'm stuck with the following options:

1. Use the IOS-based software to make changes
    2. Use the Windows version of the software
    3. Continue to run the software under Mojave

I'm not especially impressed with their support or software but I like their remotes. My only argument with the 950 is that the IR emitter in that remote isn't especially good. Unless it is pointed almost directly at my receiver the receiver does not change inputs reliably.
    The new app supports the 950. For the hub-based remotes, from reading their support page, it looks like they have no intentions of providing a desktop-based update and instead are sticking with smartphone apps.

Important message: macOS to no longer support 32 bit applications – Logitech Support + Download

------
    ------

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelza View Post
    I have some others, VirtualBox, TrainerRoad, VLC, iSkysoft Video Converter, iTube Studio, appCleaner, Cyberduck, Cisco VPN, Docker, Goland, Pycharm, MS Remote Desktop, qBitTorrent, Skype, VNCViewer, WhatsApp, etc

The biggest work critical that I need to work immediately is MS Office though, the others I can imagine will get updates in the first week so can life with waiting for them.

Just hoping someone on here has MSOffice 2016 and can confirm they've upgraded and it works.
    G
    I can vouch for VirtualBox and App Cleaner. Both appear to work flawlessly for me.

------
    ------

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks for that link. I hadn't seen that page. I had seen the page which basically outlined the option to keep using Mojave.

I've had the IOS app on my phone and iPad for several months now. As I mentioned I find their support a bit poor and the site is somewhat confusing. The 950 was working a bit more reliably than it is now but something borked up and I haven't gotten t working to the wife's satisfaction yet.
    Kevin Durant

Just got this from a friend:
    For office you need : office 365 OR office 2019 OR office 2016 v15.35 or later.
    Office 2011 will never work

I'm running office 16.16.14 so all seems good. will take the chance shortly, have the dmg downloaded, going into a long meeting so will start it as I walk to meeting and hopefully have a nice new OS when I get back.

G

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelza View Post

G
    Hi georgelza,

I'm assuming from your posts that you have NOT yet upgraded to macOS Catalina? If MS Office 2016 is work critical, and if I'm not being impudent, what's the rush? Why not stay with your current Operating System until the dust settles, so to speak?

Better to stick with a fully operational Operating System than take risks with a new System that is still in its infancy

Ian
    Ian

Hi all

Upgrade done,
    OneNote 16.16.14, Word 16.16.14 and Excel 16.16.14 As part of Office 2016 all good.

I do have some icons showing up with "no entry" signs over them, will look and report later.

G

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Thanks for that link. I hadn't seen that page. I had seen the page which basically outlined the option to keep using Mojave.

I've had the IOS app on my phone and iPad for several months now. As I mentioned I find their support a bit poor and the site is somewhat confusing. The 950 was working a bit more reliably than it is now but something borked up and I haven't gotten t working to the wife's satisfaction yet.
    You aren't kidding about their support being poor. Just the fact that their software required Microsoft Silverlight was weak. And dragging their feet on doing a proper Mac app for so long despite MS announcing they were discontinuing Silverlight in... let's see... 2012! And Apple firing warning shots about deprecating 32-bit support for over 2 years now. It's shameful. Wanna know what else is crazy? The old app couldn't be quit using CMD-Q. Not even assigning the key commands in the keyboard preferences panel would do the trick... no surprise there since it wasn't a Mac-native app. Now, you'd think they'd have the command working in the new app since it's Mac-native, but nooooo.... the keyboard command isn't there, BUT! You can add it via the Keyboard prefs. It's crazy!

Anywho, I tried running the new app on Mojave but no dice. It firmly requires 10.15+.

------
    ------

Thread Information