Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

External HDD question
    I recently bought a macbook pro that I use on a daily basis and I even use it when I do my DJing and Karaoke DJing. I have the 256GB SSD model of the Macbook Pro which requires me to have a External HDD hooked up when I DJ and KDJ. The issue that has happened before my 4TB external drive would get disconnect without me hitting the eject button within MacOS. When I would plug in back in disk utility would see the drive but it would not let me access it for like 5 to 10 mins. Nothing is wrong with the drive it just got unplugged without ejecting it. Any way I can get it to come back quick? I tried the mount button within disk utility but nothing so it seems.

External HDD question
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Is it an A/C powered external drive?

How is it connected to the MBP? USB? Thunderbolt?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Its a USB type c drive that uses power from the Macbook Pro and I have it connected via a adapter that has USB type c connection. What happened this past Friday was my adapter fell out a bit and made the drive disconnect.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Is it an A/C powered external drive?

How is it connected to the MBP? USB? Thunderbolt?

I don't really have an answer; I have disconnected external drives inadvertently but I could access them seconds after I plugged the cable back in again.
    Does your external show up on the desktop right away or does that also take 5 to 10 minutes?
    Maybe it's an issue with your adapter - my drives are either FW400, FW800, USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 and they all come back right away after an accidental disconnect.
    I doubt this has something to do with the Mac itself.
    Just for interest - which macOS are you running?

PS: I just see you posted: I tried the mount button within disk utility but nothing so it seems.

So it doesn't mount for 5 to 10 minutes, so obviously it doesn't show up on the desktop for that time either.
    How do you eventually get it to mount? Does it happen by itself or do you have to help?
    Last edited by krs; 10-06-2019 at 05:04 PM.

External HDD question
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    I agree with member krs.

Normally an improperly disconnected Drive will eventually be recognised either spontaneously or become visible in Disk Utility (DU) where the "Mount" option usually solves the problem. Though it may take several attempts.

And the "Mount" option is best directed to the indented portion rather than the Drive name.

However, in your case, the situation may have been worsened if the "adapter fell out a bit and made the drive disconnect" whilst the Drive was being used, then corruption of the Drive and its contents is a possibility.

If you can see the Drive in DU, then maybe it will let you carry out "First Aid" on the Drive. This will try to repair any damage done if it can.

This Link addresses this problem in some depth. Worth a read. It may help: External hard drive not showing up on Mac? Here's what to do

Good luck.

Ian
    Ian

There is a bit of a discussion here on this type of problem
    macbook - External HDD can be seen in Disk Utility but not in Finder - Ask Different

In that it seems the external hard drive never mounts and the problem seems to be related back to either corruption on the HDD or some windows software on it.

As far as I know after about 5 to 10 mins it does show up but the only thing that I tried was hitting the mount button in disk util. Also it does show up in disk util but it grayed out that is not access quiet yet. I am running the latest (At work so can't check). I am going to try it next time not plugged into my USB type c adapter but direct into the right side of my Mac to see if that works any better and for me not to knock about my adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    I don't really have an answer; I have disconnected external drives inadvertently but I could access them seconds after I plugged the cable back in again.
    Does your external show up on the desktop right away or does that also take 5 to 10 minutes?
    Maybe it's an issue with your adapter - my drives are either FW400, FW800, USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 and they all come back right away after an accidental disconnect.
    I doubt this has something to do with the Mac itself.
    Just for interest - which macOS are you running?

PS: I just see you posted: I tried the mount button within disk utility but nothing so it seems.

So it doesn't mount for 5 to 10 minutes, so obviously it doesn't show up on the desktop for that time either.
    How do you eventually get it to mount? Does it happen by itself or do you have to help?

Never had an issue before and it not that old of a 4TB HDD. I can go round and round DJing or KDJing off with without and issue. At one point at home I looked on line and there was a console command I could use to get it back but I was trying to find again as I was using my Windows PC as a back to get my drive to come back.

Thanks for the info. I am going to see if I can find that command again and try the external HDD on the non adapter side to see if that makes it any better.

There is a bit of a discussion here on this type of problem
    macbook - External HDD can be seen in Disk Utility but not in Finder - Ask Different

In that it seems the external hard drive never mounts and the problem seems to be related back to either corruption on the HDD or some windows software on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trilback View Post
    ...........as I was using my Windows PC as a back to get my drive to come back.
    Does that mean that the external was originally created using Windows?
    Or am I reading something into your post?

Next questions are:
    1. What format and scheme is the external (you can check that in Disk Utilities)
    2. And if it is formatted for the Mac, then you needed some utility to be able to read the external with Windows - what was that utility?

External HDD question
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    What is the format of the drive? NTFS, exFAT, HFS+? I believe if it is HFS+, which is Mac OS Extended (Journaled), it would connect (be seen) faster?

As I have had this issue before, but I donít remember how long ago, or what I did to fix it.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

It's in exFAT incase I need to use it on my Windows PC too.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    What is the format of the drive? NTFS, exFAT, HFS+? I believe if it is HFS+, which is Mac OS Extended (Journaled), it would connect (be seen)
    faster?

As I have had this issue before, but I donít remember how long ago, or what I did to fix it.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    - - - Updated - - -

I formatted it to exFAT on my Mac

Does that mean that the external was originally created using Windows?
    Or am I reading something into your post?

Next questions are:
    1. What format and scheme is the external (you can check that in Disk Utilities)
    2. And if it is formatted for the Mac, then you needed some utility to be able to read the external with Windows - what was that utility?

External HDD question
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    I cant suggest anything more than has already been said other than to try and find a more secure connection that will not be accidentally disconnected. What comes to mind is a powered USB hub.
    The reason I suggest that is because it may take a more conscious effort to disconnect a hub and even if it were disconnected accidentally the EHD would not have an interruption to its power supply.
    Because it is ExFat corruption to the data may be more difficult for macOS to repair and probably explains the time lag when reconnecting.
    Lastly I would suggest making a copy of the EHD even if you have all of the tracks saved in other places I'm sure you would rather keep them in the same order as you have them.
    A backup is always a good idea, like having a "master" to use in an emergency.
    Last edited by Rod; 10-07-2019 at 12:07 AM.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

I have had xFAT formatted externals connected to my Mac, but nothing nearly a large as a 4 TB drive.
    The biggest was a 32GB flash drive and that popped up on the desktop pretty much immediately.

Have you always had this problem with this drive or is it something recent?
    It's possible there is some corruption on the drive that causes the delay - I would check the drive both with a Mac and a Windows utility.

And like Rod said - a more secure connection would help.
    What about no cable at all that can be disconnected? Get a wireless drive.
    They just are a tad expensive compared to a wired one.
    https://www.amazon.ca/Western-Digita.../dp/B06X6H1LY6

External HDD question
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    I'm not clear on why an adapter is being used, and certainly there shouldn't be a good reason to use one. If you are truly using an adapter, into which the cable is plugged into, I would tackle this first. Adapters can be very problematic so eliminate that. You didn't indicate which exact MBP you have, but if it is one that has USB-C ports, then get a USB-C cable. If it doesn't have a USB-C port, then use a cable that is USB-C on one end for the drive, and USB 3.0 on the other end for the Macbook. Make sure you get a cable from a reputable manufacturer. There is a huge issue with USB-C cables not being made to spec properly. I would recommend going with Anker... you can definitely count on them.

If that doesn't work, eliminate exFAT as being the issue. You can get 3rd party drivers to either read/write NTFS-formatted drives on a Mac, or HFS+-formatted drives in Windows. Paragon's products are widely considered to be the best options here.

I should also ask... what exact model external drive are you using?

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Ľ Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Thread Information