Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    program to see how many hours a hard drive has on it?
    I await their reply. In the meantime, I shall try not to lose any sleep over the matter.

Thanks, Patrick.

Ian

Well, Apple's Disk Utility.app does some basic SMART reporting, but I've never seen it actually notify a user of pending failure before a drive actually failed. But it is free.

I just spend my money on a backup drive and keep current backup(s) and carry on and wait for the inevitable drive failure...

- Patrick
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Well, Apple's Disk Utility.app does some basic SMART reporting, but I've never seen it actually notify a user of pending failure before a drive actually failed. But it is free.

I just spend my money on a backup drive and keep current backup(s) and carry on and wait for the inevitable drive failure...

- Patrick
    ======
    Well, DriveDX is also free - well almost.
    It was part of the BundleHunt for $5.00
    I found their regular price of $US 20.- a bit too steep for what it does, but $5.00 (plus the $5.-- BundleHunt fee) was OK since I got 5 other software programs.

As to the 56 hours of run time and 87 power cycles, I was wondering about that as well, but

1. I assume DriveDX reports whatever information it gets from the drive via SMART, then
    2. Both runtime and power up cycles would originally relate to information from spinner drives.
    The Mac has an option where the drive will spin automatically down if not used for a certain number of minutes, so the actual usage while it is spinning and reading/writing would be less than the time the Mac is used.
    Power cycle count is defines per the screen shot below.

But neither of these parameters really apply to an SSD - there is nothing to spin up or down.
    So it begs the question - how do these parameters relate to an SSD, or even do they?

For anyone interested, there is more detail here on what these DriveDX statistics mean:
    DriveDx - Online Help
    Attached Images Attached Images

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Thank you all for your interest which is much appreciated.

Until I hear from DriveDx support, my thoughts are that the 58 hours may reflect the number of hours when the iMac was in "active" use. When "idle", ie on during the night or during the day when I'm out, these hours are not counted. Ditto when switched off (rarely).

In support of my theory, my almost 4 year old iMac running HS and with a 1TB SSD (Early December 2015), is showing 39 months and 172 Power Cycles. I've owned it for 46 months. It also runs constantly.

Ian
    Ian

Thread Information