Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    The one challenge you still will have to address is that the source drive will still have lots of defective files on it, so it will probably require a full format to get to a usable state.
    I was actually thinking of getting it replaced under warranty.
    Seems things are getting worse - left is the DriveDX report two days ago, right is the one right now (after the drive was unplugged for a day so the temp only shows 25C
    Do you think I should try to use it again?
    I have all the files copied, so I can do a complete reformat
    Attached Images Attached Images

Any way to copy data and skipping corrupt data instead of stopping?
    Back to the original topic of discussion, virtually every software is going to come down to the basic OS call to do the copy and that call is going to throw an error when it comes across a bad block or unreadable chunk. There isn't really a way of getting past that error since you don't know where to go when an error is thrown. The error could be one of many things, the most simple one is inode corruption. A file isn't stored linearly on the file system, it is scattered around in bits and pieces and the inodes help keep track of those pieces. If the inode list is corrupted, you can't figure out where to go next and you are notified of failure.

I can't imagine any application getting around that.

However, you could like do this work with a script whereby you would catch that an error was thrown, skip that file and move onto the next file.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    I can't imagine any application getting around that.
    Can you comment on the approach in post #8?
    I realize it's not an application as such, just a single line in the terminal app, but it seems to do what you suggest is quite difficult to do.
    I don't know enough about terminal commands to even decide if that command line posted will work....or not.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    @krs, from the symptoms and the reports, the drive is failing. Drives don't heal, they just continue to degrade. If you can get it replaced under warranty, I would do that. Your Terminal script might work for you to make it slightly easier to copy what you can and looks to be relatively low risk, so I would give it a go, see if it does what you need and if so, you have recovered what you can. Then get it replaced under warranty. I would wipe it clean, obviously, before sending it in for replacement.
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    Can you comment on the approach in post #8?
    I realize it's not an application as such, just a single line in the terminal app, but it seems to do what you suggest is quite difficult to do.
    I don't know enough about terminal commands to even decide if that command line posted will work....or not.
    The command is a recursive force copy from source to destination. The force overwrites the destination files if they exist. The recursive will go down the folders and their sub-folders all the way down to the end.

It is however still prone to failing on a single file.

A crude script would be something like the following:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

# Save the source directory
    SRC=$1

# Save the destination directory
    DEST=$2

# Jump to the source directory
    pushd $SRC

# Find a list of top level directories
    find $SRC -type d -d 1 > /tmp/topleveldirs

for dir in `cat /tmp/topleveldirs`; do
        pushd $dir

# Create the top level directory in the destination folder if it doesn't exist.
        if [ ! -e $DEST/$dir ]; then
            mkdir $DEST/$dir
        fi

SDIRS=`find . -type d -d 1`
        if [ -z $SDIRS ]; then
             # This folder only has files
             for file in `ls`; do
                 cp $file $DEST/$dir/$file
                 if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
                      echo "Unable to copy $dir/$file, moving on...."
                 fi
             done
        else
            find $SRC -type d -d 1 > /tmp/subdirs
            for sdir in `cat /tmp/topleveldirs`; do
                pushd $sdir
                if [ ! -e $DEST/$dir/$sdir ]; then
                    mkdir $DEST/$dir/$sdir
                fi
                SDIRS=`find . -type d -d 1`
                if [ -z $SDIRS ]; then
                    # This folder only has files
                    for file in `ls`; do
                        cp $file $DEST/$dir/$file
                        if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
                            echo "Unable to copy $dir/$file, moving on...."
                        fi
                    done
                else
                     # Time for a recursive function. :)
                fi
            done
        fi
    done
    Something like this. This is a poorly written script, but let me write something a little more robust and post back.

Can you give me a rough idea of folders and the files they hold so I can test it out?
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    @krs, from the symptoms and the reports, the drive is failing. Drives don't heal, they just continue to degrade. If you can get it replaced under warranty, I would do that. Your Terminal script might work for you to make it slightly easier to copy what you can and looks to be relatively low risk, so I would give it a go, see if it does what you need and if so, you have recovered what you can. Then get it replaced under warranty. I would wipe it clean, obviously, before sending it in for replacement.
    Thanks for the feedback - appreciate it.
    Since I already copied what I needed, I have also wiped it clean.
    Will call Staples (where I bought it) and Seagate to see what's involved in getting this replaced.

This is the first time I ever had an external fail on me - and that after only 5 months.
    Previous external drive failures were always the bridge in the external, never the actual hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    Something like this. This is a poorly written script, but let me write something a little more robust and post back.

Can you give me a rough idea of folders and the files they hold so I can test it out?
    Wow !!!

I didn't expect you to put that much effort into this.

The 8 TB drive had seven partitions, from 500 MB to 2 TB
    There were four partitions used, two of the 500 MB ones for backups of two different Macs, a 1.5 TB one for videos I had collected over the years - these were all either mp4's or avi and the last used partition was a mix of files and folders I offloaded from my Mini - items I would only need to look at rarely.
    There were folders nested three, maybe four down, and a mix of pdf's, word documents, excel, ppt. images (jpeg & tiff mostly), video and audio files (mp4 & mp3).
    Pretty much run-of-the-mill, nothing really unique. All of that was around 170 MB

Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    Wow !!!

I didn't expect you to put that much effort into this.

The 8 TB drive had seven partitions, from 500 MB to 2 TB
    There were four partitions used, two of the 500 MB ones for backups of two different Macs, a 1.5 TB one for videos I had collected over the years - these were all either mp4's or avi and the last used partition was a mix of files and folders I offloaded from my Mini - items I would only need to look at rarely.
    There were folders nested three, maybe four down, and a mix of pdf's, word documents, excel, ppt. images (jpeg & tiff mostly), video and audio files (mp4 & mp3).
    Pretty much run-of-the-mill, nothing really unique. All of that was around 170 MB
    OK, that's what I imagined, but just wanted to make sure you didn't have something more funky. I imagine you want things copied from one location to a second, different partitions on the same drive or different drives.

The arguments to the script will likely be the top of the source folder to dig through and the top of the destination folder where you want everything copied. I'll post back when I get that working.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    If you do get another 8TB drive, use folders instead of partitions, it will save you a lot of trouble.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    If you do get another 8TB drive, use folders instead of partitions, it will save you a lot of trouble.
    Why would you say that?
    I don't think it would have made any difference in this case - the drive just started to fail.

In any case, using folders wouldn't work since I'm using three of the 500 MB partitions as secondary backup for three of the Macs.
    I don't think one can use SD or CCC to make a bootable clone to a folder.
    These backups not showing up when I started the Mac with the option key held down were what even suggested there was a problem to start with.

Thread Information