Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Reinstalling/fixing corrupted OS
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    I must admit I had a feeling that Spotlight probably does stuff "under the hood" that i wasn't aware of. I was under the impression (rightly or wrongly) that the Finder was dependent on it as well. Whatever the case I would be loath to disable the system indexing system if, for no other reason, because I don't know exactly what it does or what might be dependent on it.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Kent, WA (about 25 miles south of Seattle); up in "God's Country"
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2012 Mac Mini Running OS 10.14.6; Mid 2017 MacBook Air running OS 10.14.6
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    @honestone33

You may have some problems getting DiskMaker X to work properly unless you have recently enabled your Spotlight to work as DiskMaker X relies on it as it tries to find the OS X Install program with Spotlight as you might have read at the developers sight.

And so, yet another reason for enabling Spotlight and letting it do its thing. It seems a lot of software uses the Spotlight database.

Just wanted to mention the fact in case you ran into problems as DiskMaker X tries to find the OS X Install program with Spotlight's database.

- Patrick
    ======
    You are incorrect. As I have mentioned previously, I always make a copy of the latest Mac OS installation file to another location. And in fact, for the latest one (OS 10.14.6), I don't even have it inside my Applications folder.

In any event, after downloading and installing the latest version of Diskmaker X for Mojave, and then plugging in a USB Flash Drive into a port on my hub, I launched Diskmaker X. It then first asked to find the applicable Mac OS Installation file, and it initially opened my Applications folder, expecting to find it there. But I "navigated" to the location of that file. Diskmake X then asked if I wanted to use the USB Flash Drive I had plugged in, and I said yes. It then proceeded to create the bootable Mojave installation on the USB Flash Drive. And of course it works.

Thus, there is no defect in the program. It does what one would expect from an application. Where did you get this notion that Diskmaker X relies on Spotlight?
    Last edited by honestone33; 10-05-2019 at 06:33 PM.
    The KISS philosophy: Keep It Simple, Stupid.
    Attitude reflects leadership, Captain.
    Go along, and we'll get along.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    How is that a defect in Spotlight?
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post

Well Sly, I guess that leaves at least both of us scratching our heads in bewilderment???

But I wonder if DiskMaker X provides a means of manually looking for the installer file instead of relying on a spotlight search find it??? I've never tried it as I don't need it with multiple bootable volumes readily at hand.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    I've never had an application inform me that I needed to have Spotlight enabled. If that was the case, why then would Apple allow it to be disabled, like I have always done?

Your Mac's Specs
    Well Sly, I guess that leaves at least both of us scratching our heads in bewilderment???

But I wonder if DiskMaker X provides a means of manually looking for the installer file instead of relying on a spotlight search find it??? I've never tried it as I don't need it with multiple bootable volumes readily at hand.

- Patrick
    ======
    You did not answer my question above, regarding "Where did you get this notion that Diskmaker X relies on Spotlight?".

And I just stated above that DiskMaker X does provide a manual way to finding the installation file. As it is, I suspect it has always behaved that way, ie, the way I described it (ie, not immediately finding that file) is the way it normally works.

Also, based on your statement above, "I've never tried it as I don't need it with multiple bootable volumes readily at hand.", it looks like you have never used Diskmaker X. Hence, how can you say that it depends upon Spotlight (which obviously it does not)?

Finally, I also have 2 other bootable backups for each of my Macs on external SSDs, but based on Rod's post #28, he makes an excellent point about having a bootable installer on a USB Flash Drive. It's an excellent contingency in case a bootable device has issues (like he apparently once did with CCC).
    Last edited by honestone33; 10-05-2019 at 06:35 PM.

Gheese...

You did not answer my question above, regarding "Where did you get this notion that Diskmaker X relies on Spotlight?".
    Again, yes, just as I posted in my #30 post!!!

In case you missed it:
    You may have some problems getting DiskMaker X to work properly unless you have recently enabled your Spotlight to work as DiskMaker X relies on it as it tries to find the OS X Install program with Spotlight as you might have read at the developers site.
    And you could have checked at the developers site:
    As soon as you launch the application, it tries to find the OS X Install program with Spotlight.
    DiskMaker X

Luckily, it seems that it also provides alternate methods.

Amen.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Gheese...

Again, yes, just as I posted in my #30 post!!!

In case you missed it:

And you could have checked at the developers site:

DiskMaker X

Luckily, it seems that it also provides alternate methods.

Amen.

- Patrick
    ======
    Good god!!! Talk about having difficulty reading! I did see that, and you specifically stated "unless you have recently enabled your Spotlight to work as DiskMaker X relies on it as it tries to find the OS X Install program with Spotlight ". That says it needs Spotlight to find the Installer file. Definition of rely:

rely (verb) American English definition and synonyms | Macmillan Dictionary

Look at #2 in that link.

Fortunately, the developers of the program do not have tunnel vision, as they provided a logical (and expected) method of getting the file.

Additionally, I have used DiskMaker X in the past, without Spotlight turned on, and it worked the same.

I might try to copy the Installer file to my Applications folder and launch DiskMaker X to see if it automatically selects that file in the Applications folder. If it does, that would also say Spotlight is not needed.
    Last edited by honestone33; 10-05-2019 at 08:35 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
    Must do that before Catalina is released in case I need to go back to Mojave.

No idea if my software is 32 bit. I know how to check on iPad but not on Mac.

I assume a 32 GB memory stick is enough?

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    @Nighthawk4 A 32 GB stick will be more than enough. In fact, an 8 GB stick should be sufficient.

This article gives you two methods of finding 32-bit apps on your Mac. Personally, I prefer the first method.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    Regarding DiskMaker X and Spotlight, after I copied the latest Mojave Installer File into my Applications folder and launched DiskMaker X, here is what the program responded with:

Screen Shot 2019-10-06 at 11.03.29 AM.png

I do not have Spotlight turned on, so it seems that DiskMaker X first tries to find the installer file inside the Applications folder. That would say that it does not depend on Spotlight.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
    Thanks

Your Mac's Specs
    Running Diskmaker now. I setup the Accessibility as advised in the PDF and it found the Installer file in Applications.

Not sure if Spotlight is on or not.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk4 View Post
    Running Diskmaker now. I setup the Accessibility as advised in the PDF and it found the Installer file in Applications.

Not sure if Spotlight is on or not.

First, as I stated above, I ran DiskMaker X when the latest Mojave installation file was not in the Applications folder, and when it was. The main difference was that DiskMaker did find that file when I had it in my Applications folder, and thus I suspect that is the first (and only) place it searches some kind of Mac OS Installation file. And i have Spotlight basically "disabled".

Secondly, there is a Preference Pane for Spotlight, and here is what mine looks like:

Screen Shot 2019-10-06 at 4.43.41 PM.png

Notice that in the Search Results pane, I have nothing checked. Also, when I look at the Activity Monitor, Spotlight is not using any CPU percentage.

It does seem to be "active', but in a very limited fashion. I actually just clicked on the Spotlight Icon near the upper right hand corner of the screen, and even with the Applications folder open, and with DiskMaker X being there, when I typed DiskMaker in the Spotlight search box, it said "No results found". But of course the file is there.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    I like method one as too. Good article as well, it mentions the delay in displaying the app list which put some people off initially because they thought it wasn't working. It can take a while but you just need to be patient.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Thread Information