Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Reinstalling/fixing corrupted OS
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    honestone33, that result is expected. Spotlight does an indexing of the drive so that when the user uses it to find something it looks in the index database to see where the file was located. You have all indexing disabled, so the index database is empty. Note that that setting does NOT disable Spotlight in the sense of keeping it from running, it just disables it in finding anything. The other two products discussed in this thread, FAF and EF, both work by doing the search when given something to search for. In both cases of those products, there is no pre-searched database so the product has to search the drive/folder, whatever you give it, with what you want searched. And they both don't "complete" the search until the entire drive/folder is searched. As a result of how the three things work, Spotlight is fastest as it is just searching a database, but FAF and EF are more flexible because you can customize the search on demand. I use all three, depending on the search I am doing at the time. Spotlight doesn't slow down the drive at all, particularly on my SSD, as it indexes in the background. The only time users see Spotlight affecting their systems is right after an upgrade or when a new drive replaces a failed one and a backup restored, when Spotlight is rebuilding the index from scratch.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    And as you said, you have all indexing disabled.
    Nope, didn't say that at all. I have Spotlight running and indexed. I said
    I use all three,
    and I do.
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I like method one as too. Good article as well, it mentions the delay in displaying the app list which put some people off initially because they thought it wasn't working. It can take a while but you just need to be patient.
    Oh Boy...having upgraded a few times from a G4 desktop, I see a ton of 32-bit apps.
    This will take a long time to go through them and decide which ones to keep and see if there is a 64-bit app available.

I have at least one I use regularly, Seashore, where the functionality was changed early in their upgrade cycle and I have to use their first version to be able to accomplish what I need.
    I hate that when developers remove some functionality moving forward.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
    Ran the System Report.

Not bad. Only a couple of things that are part of Mojave so I assume they get updated with the OS, plus FF XIV. It seems there is now a 64 bit one of those so updating that now.

Then a backup and I might try Catalina on my old MBP first, assuming it runs on that. It is the last version of MBP that had a DVD drive, not sure of the date at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
    Very strange. I just ran the System Report again to confirm that FF XIV is now 64 bit and several important programs that last night reported as 64 bit now say they are not.

How could that be?

Your Mac's Specs
    Anyone else seen this please?

I canít tell whether Catalina will tun the software if it doesnít give a consistent answer. I suppose I could try installing Catalina on an external drive as a test perhaps.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk4 View Post
    Anyone else seen this please?

I can’t tell whether Catalina will tun the software if it doesn’t give a consistent answer. I suppose I could try installing Catalina on an external drive as a test perhaps.

Could it be that your backup drive was attached for the second run? If it was, SysInfo actually looks into the backup, sees older versions and reports them as 32 bit (because they are). So run SysInfo with no drives attached and you'll get a reading of just the boot drive.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Nope - only the MacBook Air with no external drives both times.

I will try it again but not as confident now, whatever it tells me.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    In my opinion, the only way to remove those "remnants" of 32 bit apps, is to do a format/erase/wipe on the entire drive from an external drive (ie: bootable USB installer or clone). Then reinstall the new OS.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    There were only a couple of 32bit apps left on my SSD before the Catalina upgrade which I deleted using an App Deletion app. I can find no trace of them after upgrade, or Adobe Acrobat Reader Pro for that matter which was 64bit. I covered that in another post.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    There is something wonky about this thread. It shows that it has an unread post, and that there are 4 pages, but when you select page 4, it cycles back to page 3 and there are no unread posts at all. I'm posting this to see if it posts and if it does, where it goes.

EDIT: It got added to the bottom of page 3, with Page 4 still showing. Strange behavior.

Is the site about to crash again?
    Jake

I don't have that problem

I'm still on page 1!

That's because I have the forum set for 80 posts per page.
    I like that because I can easily scroll back to check previous posts as they are, so far at least, all on one page.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    As "krs" pointed out, it depends on how many posts per page you have set. But the forums are running a bit slow tonight, however, that could possibly be on my end only.

But to answer your question Jake, there are no missing posts that I'm aware of and I don't believe our software is about to crash. (fingers crossed)

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    As I post this, it should show as post #44, and as I have 20 posts/page = page 3. What is shown is Page 3 of 4 in non-bold blue - followed by 3 in bold black

However, a "page 4 > Last" are shown as apparently available in non-bold blue; but don't actually exist. I think that's what Jake is referring to?

Ian
    Ian

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    As soon as I typed the above, the system reverted to what it should be - Page 3 of 3 with 3 in bold. Correct.

Strange but not sleep-disturbing!

Ian
    Ian

Thread Information