Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Some SD Backups not showing up
    I'm now finding out that there is something wrong with the 8 TB external.

I ran Disk Utility earlier, both on the external and then on each volume separately.
    All came back fine - no issues.

A few minutes ago when I went back into Disk Utility to see if that could answer ferrarr's last question, disk utility launched but would not bring up any drives.
    I had to force quit, try it again and again - no dice.
    I then tried to eject all the volumes on the 8 TB, that started (icon changed) but never completed.

So I finally shut down the whole Mac.
    Rebooted and the boot would not complete - after waiting for a couple of minutes, I decided to pull the USB 3.0 cable of the 8 TB external, and the boot finished immediately.
    Plugged the 8 TB USB cable back in, only 2 of the 8 TB volumes showed, then after a while the third one and even later the fourth one.
    So...the 8 TB drive has some sort of problem.

Kent, WA (about 25 miles south of Seattle); up in "God's Country"
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2012 Mac Mini Running OS 10.14.6; Mid 2017 MacBook Air running OS 10.14.6
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    Did you not read my post #7 from 2 hours ago?
    What you are commenting on is not my problem!
    What are you talking about! I was making a supportive comment to post #6 made by MacInWin. How the heck did you think I was commenting on your post #7?
    The KISS philosophy: Keep It Simple, Stupid.
    Attitude reflects leadership, Captain.
    Go along, and we'll get along.

Your Mac's Specs
    I'm now finding out that there is something wrong with the 8 TB external.

I ran Disk Utility earlier, both on the external and then on each volume separately.
    All came back fine - no issues.

A few minutes ago when I went back into Disk Utility to see if that could answer ferrarr's last question, disk utility launched but would not bring up any drives.
    I had to force quit, try it again and again - no dice.
    I then tried to eject all the volumes on the 8 TB, that started (icon changed) but never completed.

So I finally shut down the whole Mac.
    Rebooted and the boot would not complete - after waiting for a couple of minutes, I decided to pull the USB 3.0 cable of the 8 TB external, and the boot finished immediately.
    Plugged the 8 TB USB cable back in, only 2 of the 8 TB volumes showed, then after a while the third one and even later the fourth one.
    So...the 8 TB drive has some sort of problem.
    Almost afraid to comment, as you might bite my head off! If there is no critical stuff on that drive, maybe use Disk Utility to Erase, Format, and Partition the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by honestone33 View Post
    What are you talking about! I was making a supportive comment to post #6 made by MacInWin. How the heck did you think I was commenting on your post #7?
    Sorry,
    I didn't realize Jake needed a supporting post.
    Normally that would be done with either +1 or just a few words.
    I just didn't want this thread heading off on a tangent.

Quote Originally Posted by honestone33 View Post
    Almost afraid to comment, as you might bite my head off! If there is no critical stuff on that drive, maybe use Disk Utility to Erase, Format, and Partition the drive.
    Don't worry about your head - I'm harmless.
    Since I paid for DriveDX, I'm going to run that first to see what it says.
    Besides the two backups which I can do without, the other two volumes have file and folder backups from old IDE drives that I was consolidating.
    I still have the old IDE drives, but since it took a while with various adapters to get files off those drives, I will see if I can back up that info before I erase and reformat.

I never did feel really comfortable using such a large drive since an awful lot of data can get lost if it crashes and there is no other backup.
    But I just couldn't resist the price at the time.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Let's keep this thread friendly and let's not assume what someone else is replying. Remember, we are here to help one another.

Thanks.

Your Mac's Specs
    Sorry,
    I didn't realize Jake needed a supporting post.
    Normally that would be done with either +1 or just a few words.
    I just didn't want this thread heading off on a tangent.
    As Arnie says, No Problemo!

YouTube

And my intentions were to help you, given that you are having issues with seeing those 2 partitions on the 8 TB drive.

Your Mac's Specs
    Don't worry about your head - I'm harmless.
    That's comforting!

Since I paid for DriveDX, I'm going to run that first to see what it says.
    Besides the two backups which I can do without, the other two volumes have file and folder backups from old IDE drives that I was consolidating.
    I still have the old IDE drives, but since it took a while with various adapters to get files off those drives, I will see if I can back up that info before I erase and reformat.

I never did feel really comfortable using such a large drive since an awful lot of data can get lost if it crashes and there is no other backup.
    But I just couldn't resist the price at the time.
    Understand. And I feel the same way about "gigantic" drives.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Let's keep this thread friendly and let's not assume what someone else is replying. Remember, we are here to help one another.

Thanks.
    Yes, exactly. My posts are mainly done to provide information, assistance, etc. As one of my sayings goes, "Go along, and we'll get along".

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    As neither an Admin nor Moderator, I am in no position to interfere; but may I make a suggestion?

When you reply to a specific post, it would avoid frustration or misunderstanding if you either "Reply With Quote" thereby tying the posts together; or address the recipient as @abc or @ xyz. Either method links your post to theirs.

Just a thought

Ian
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    As neither an Admin nor Moderator, I am in no position to interfere; but may I make a suggestion?

When you reply to a specific post, it would avoid frustration or misunderstanding if you either "Reply With Quote" thereby tying the posts together; or address the recipient as @abc or @ xyz. Either method links your post to theirs.

Just a thought

Ian
    I agree, but honestone33 actually did that - I was just getting a bit annoyed that all it was, was a repeat of Jake's reply, neither one of which helped to address my issue.

I often see threads here going totall way off the original topic and I wanted to prevent that.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    I often see threads here going totall way off the original topic and I wanted to prevent that.
    I posted not to take us off track but to correct what I thought was a misunderstanding that could lead to some incorrect actions. And now this thread has gone off track talking about going off track.

Good luck with the drive. The big drives I have (6GB) I keep in one partition. I don't want to be lulled into a false security by thinking I have 3 2GB drives. And it simplifies making backups to have just one partition to backup to a second location.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post

Just a thought

Ian
    But I do that most of the time. In fact, I just did it with yours!

Your Mac's Specs
    I agree, but honestone33 actually did that - I was just getting a bit annoyed that all it was, was a repeat of Jake's reply, neither one of which helped to address my issue.

It somewhat addressed the issue, as you were having problems with seeing those 2 partitions. Thus, I was not taking this thread of the original topic, which is "Some SD backups not showing up". As it is, I also use SuperDuper! for my backups to external devices, and I have never had this issue.

Oh, and for IWT, I did quote the post made by krs here.
    Last edited by honestone33; 09-29-2019 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    I posted not to take us off track but to correct what I thought was a misunderstanding that could lead to some incorrect actions. And now this thread has gone off track talking about going off track.
    I didn't mean your specific post - I was thinking of possible posts picking up on yours and going off on a tangent.
    And it's not so much the posts going off on a tangent, but that one sometimes can't find again what one is looking for because the post with that information is buried in an unrelated thread.
    Yeah, I know - use the search function - but if one doesn't enter the exact search terms, the information won't be found using the forum search.

Your Mac's Specs
    I didn't mean your specific post - I was thinking of possible posts picking up on yours and going off on a tangent.
    And it's not so much the posts going off on a tangent, but that one sometimes can't find again what one is looking for because the post with that information is buried in an unrelated thread.
    Yeah, I know - use the search function - but if one doesn't enter the exact search terms, the information won't be found using the forum search.
    But in this case, it was not buried in an unrelated thread. I quoted MacInWin exactly, and it is clear what he and I were referring to.

Thread Information