Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Like Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Safari 13.0.1 Problem

Your Mac's Specs
    27" iMac (late 2013) El Capitan. iPad Mini.
    Safari 13.0.1 Problem
    Since loading Safari 13.0.1 a few days ago, I have had problems opening certain websites. The progress line in the address bar hangs about a quarter of the way in and goes no further. This only applies to 4 sites that I have encountered so far. The sites open without problem in Chrome. A reload cures the problem for about a day, then it recurs. The sites I have noticed are, youtube, thesun.co.uk, timeline.co.za, pinterest.com. I am running a 27" iMac, late 2013 loaded with Mojave 10.14.6. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Safari 13.0.1 Problem
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    I know there was also a Supplemental Security update for macOS Mojave (10.14) that was released yesterday. Maybe try System Preferences > Software Update? It will require a restart then test again?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Safari 13.0.1 Problem
    Do those sites timeout eventually or does it just continually want to load? If it does timeout, do you get an error? If so, what error? Have you tried clearing the cache/data from Safari to see if it will do anything?
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Safari 13.0.1 Problem

Your Mac's Specs
    No, they don't seem to timeout at all. I haven't left them for more than about 10 to 15minutes, so no error. Ive just reloaded again, so everything seems to be working, but if it's like previous times, tomorrow will be the same. Will try clearing the cache and see if it helps.

Safari 13.0.1 Problem
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    @Alanw, you might check your DNS settings. Hanging like that is a symptom of a slow or faulty DNS. You can add a reliable DNS server like 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 to the DNS list to see if that helps.
    Jake

Safari 13.0.1 Problem
    If a site doesn't load for some amount of time, all browsers tend to put up a TIMEOUT or some related message. It's odd that your Safari is trying to load a site for that long without doing so. Let us know how you fare with the cache clearing.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Safari 13.0.1 Problem

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    If a site doesn't load for some amount of time, all browsers tend to put up a TIMEOUT or some related message. It's odd that your Safari is trying to load a site for that long without doing so. Let us know how you fare with the cache clearing.
    Thanks for the replies. As I said, my reload has solved the problem for now, but I have also cleared the cache and history. So will wait to see if it recurs.

Safari 13.0.1 Problem

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    @Alanw, you might check your DNS settings. Hanging like that is a symptom of a slow or faulty DNS. You can add a reliable DNS server like 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 to the DNS list to see if that helps.
    Thanks for that suggestion. Don't know anything about playing about with the DNS as I'm not that proficient. If that is the problem, I wonder why it only cropped up after the Safari update.

Safari 13.0.1 Problem
    I would also suggest that if the DNS was an issue, it would present itself with other browsers and system wide, it wouldn't be isolated just to Safari.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Safari 13.0.1 Problem
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Ashwin, it could be, but it really depends on not only the DNS but the various blockers and add-ins. I was seeing a lot of the same thing the OP had, sites stalling with about an inch on the progress bar, added those DNS entries (as suggested at another site) and all the issues went away. I think the DNS issue is that when the desired site has links, if those links aren't current in the DNS server database, it has to do a search up the chain for an update. Those links can be embedded in advertising and have more links in the links in a chain. So if you block the ads, the problem usually resolves that way, too. And given that different browsers handle ads differently, that can make a difference in the effect of the DNS.
    Jake

Safari 13.0.1 Problem
    Jake, definitely a plausible explanation. I was initially going to suggest that the OP use Web Inspector to see which of he various queries is hanging and go from there, but that stuff can be a little confusion. Additionally, Safari doesn't enable the web developer tools by default so I didn't want to go down that route. But that would be a good way of verifying your explanation as the culprit.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Safari 13.0.1 Problem
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    Jake, definitely a plausible explanation. I was initially going to suggest that the OP use Web Inspector to see which of he various queries is hanging and go from there, but that stuff can be a little confusion.
    You have shown a remarkable capacity for understatement.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Safari 13.0.1 Problem
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Changing the DNS or preference order or even adding a new DNS is simple in comparison.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Safari 13.0.1 Problem

Your Mac's Specs
    So far, so good. It looks as though my Safari problem might be solved as after 12 hours I am still able to open the troublesome websites. I cleared the cache and history, so this may have been the cause. Thanks to all for your suggestions and interest.

Safari Update issues
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanw View Post
    So far, so good. It looks as though my Safari problem might be solved as after 12 hours I am still able to open the troublesome websites. I cleared the cache and history, so this may have been the cause. Thanks to all for your suggestions and interest.
    I'm not sure if this is applicable or not, but after the last Safari update 13.0.1 I couldn't get on the Internet. This had happened once before. I went to Safari preferences and make sure nothing was checked in the wireless proxies. Sure enough SOCKS was checked. Once I unchecked it, I was back on the Internet.

Thread Information