Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    upgrade to mojave ( for lightroom) and APFS implications
    Hi,

New here so go easy with me as we all have to begin somewhere.

I am about to upgrade my 2017 iMac 5k, which has a 1TB SSD , from Sierra to Mojave as lightroom will not be fully supported from November 2019 if you are on Sierra so I will not get any updates to lightroom from Adobe.

My question is this:

When I update to Mojave do I need to disconnect my external hard drive that has my photos on, as well as another external SSD drive that is used exclusively for time machine?

If I do and reconnect them after the update to the OS will it still recognize them ok? Will the Time Machine be ok as a back up as I have read that you must perform a back up before changing the OS?

I think that I am correct in saying that the installation of Mojave will convert the Macintosh HD drive to APFS. Will I then be able to run my external hard drives as Mac OS extended ( journaled )

I am finding it all a bit confusing as I came to computing late in life and to Mac even later and don't want to lose any of my lightroom catalog settings that are on the Macintosh HD ( SSD )

If there are any articles / videos on this subject if you can advise me then that would be great.

Thanks in advance

Bernard Smith

Melbourne
    Australia
    Last edited by bernard smith; 09-26-2019 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bernard smith View Post
    Hi,

I am about to upgrade my 2017 iMac 5k, which has a 1TB SSD , from Sierra to Mojave as lightroom will not be fully supported from November 2019 if you are on Sierra so I will not get any updates to lightroom from Adobe.

My question is this:

When I update to Mojave do I need to disconnect my external hard drive that has my photos on, as well as another external SSD drive that is used exclusively for time machine?
    To make it easier for the installer to just hit the SSD, you can unplug all the external drives so that it defaults to the right place. Otherwise, you might have to specifically choose the drive marked Macintosh HD which is the SSD, so avoid the confusion.

If I do and reconnect them after the update to the OS will it still recognize them ok? Will the Time Machine be ok as a back up as I have read that you must perform a back up before changing the OS?
    Yes, once you reconnect, those drives can be used just as they were normally before. The time machine backup is good before the upgrade, but if you are feeling uncomfortable about the upgrade, it might make sense to do a Carbon Copy Clone copy of your current drive which can be used to restore your back back to exactly where it is right now.

I think that I am correct in saying that the installation of Mojave will convert the Macintosh HD drive to APFS. Will I then be able to run my external hard drives as Mac OS extended ( journaled )
    Correct, Mojave uses APFS for your internal drive and this transition is transparent to you and the apps you will use after the conversion. This conversion of the internal drive has no bearing on how you format/use external drives. macOS Mojave continues to support HFS (macOS Extended), ExFat, FAT16/32 and other filesystem types it supported in the past.

I am finding it all a bit confusing as I came to computing late in life and to Mac even later and don't want to lose any of my lightroom catalog settings that are on the Macintosh HD ( SSD )
    If there is a way of specifically backing up the lightroom info onto a USB stick or something, you should do so just for your own sanity's sake. But know that the upgrade of the OS is good about leaving your applications and their data be happy.

If there are any articles / videos on this subject if you can advise me then that would be great.

Thanks in advance

Bernard Smith

Melbourne
    Australia
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Thanks Ashwin ... much appreciated

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Hi,

My question is this:

Thanks in advance

Bernard Smith

Melbourne
    Australia
    In my opinion, after you download the new OS, and it asks you to upgrade, that is when I do a Time Machine backup. Then I proceed with the upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    What hasn't been said is that macOS Catalina (macOS 10.15.X) will be released in Mid October. I'm not recommending you wait and update to Catalina because I don't know how many apps you have that will not qualify to run under Catalina. Catalina will not run any 32 bit app. If all your apps are 64 bit then you might consider waiting and update to Catalina instead of Mojave.

What Ashwin stated above about the procedure with Mojave holds true for Catalina as well.

Hi Ashwin

I have done the upgrade to Mojave from Sierra and all is working well with one exception.. Time Machine.

I have started a TM back up and it's taking for ever. Its been running for an hour now and has done only 16MB of 18.4 GB

Is it usual for it to take so long . Is it because it is the first back up on Mojave?

By the way the upgrade went really smoothly...

Thanks again

Bernard Smith

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    If you want, you can restart your Mac, and Time Machine will know where it was and go back to it. It may be because it is gathering info and organizing data.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Hi Ashwin

I have done the upgrade to Mojave from Sierra and all is working well with one exception.. Time Machine.

I have started a TM back up and it's taking for ever. Its been running for an hour now and has done only 16MB of 18.4 GB

Is it usual for it to take so long . Is it because it is the first back up on Mojave?

By the way the upgrade went really smoothly...

Thanks again

Bernard Smith
    Time Machine makes incremental backups and each of those are usually quick because they are small. However, when you upgrade the OS, it's all new stuff, so it's going to take longer to figure out what has changed (likely everything) and get it backed up.

I would let it run for however long it wants to get the backup done.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    To make it easier for the installer to just hit the SSD, you can unplug all the external drives so that it defaults to the right place. Otherwise, you might have to specifically choose the drive marked Macintosh HD which is the SSD, so avoid the confusion.

Yes, once you reconnect, those drives can be used just as they were normally before. The time machine backup is good before the upgrade, but if you are feeling uncomfortable about the upgrade, it might make sense to do a Carbon Copy Clone copy of your current drive which can be used to restore your back back to exactly where it is right now.

Correct, Mojave uses APFS for your internal drive and this transition is transparent to you and the apps you will use after the conversion. This conversion of the internal drive has no bearing on how you format/use external drives. macOS Mojave continues to support HFS (macOS Extended), ExFat, FAT16/32 and other filesystem types it supported in the past.

If there is a way of specifically backing up the lightroom info onto a USB stick or something, you should do so just for your own sanity's sake. But know that the upgrade of the OS is good about leaving your applications and their data be happy.

All installed now,.. running a treat .. thanks for all your help. I will not install Catalina until I see if it brings any advantages for photographic work flow and even then only when it has been out a while and the bugs have been removed..

- - - Updated - - -

Great help .. and all is hunky dory right now... cheers again

All installed now,.. running a treat .. thanks for all your help. I will not install Catalina until I see if it brings any advantages for photographic work flow and even then only when it has been out a while and the bugs have been removed..

- - - Updated - - -

Great help .. and all is hunky dory right now... cheers again
    Reasonable enough approach. If things are stable with Mojave for you now and since you just upgraded, you should stick with that for the next 6+ months and then consider upgrading to Catalina.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    Reasonable enough approach. If things are stable with Mojave for you now and since you just upgraded, you should stick with that for the next 6+ months and then consider upgrading to Catalina.

There really should be a "sticky" for each of the various OS Installs.

Every year, the forums go through almost the same or similar threads time and time again.

Just a repeated thought...

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Too many Stickies Patrick, and then we'll have nothing to do since everyone's questions will be answered.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Too many Stickies Patrick, and then we'll have nothing to do since everyone's questions will be answered.

True I guess, at least to a point, and actually, if every member knew how to use an Internet search correctly, there would be no questions to ask of the forum. Or very few.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    And to add to what I wrote above.... Most folks don't read the Stickies we already have.

Thread Information