Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2007 imac. hd missing from finder.
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 Retina 4k iMac. Mojave. 8GB RAM
    Blog Entries
    could not boot from internal hard drive. was getting a folder with a blinking ?... . I was able to boot from and login from the external drive (backup). the internal drive is not showing up in the finder. does this means its dead? even when I open disc utility its not there.
    Make your Mac/PC more secure:
    -Delete or disable Java, Flash, Silverlight

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    Not showing in DU is bad news. Time for a replacement macgig.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Your Mac's Specs
    Blog Entries
    I have a 2015 imac for my main machine. was keeping this older one just to mess around with. up til now it was working fine. not sure if I should get a new internal hard drive or just trash the entire 2007... . rarely used it was just a spare machine to experiment with... thanks for the fast reply.

its pretty involved don't think I want to do all this for this old mac. YouTube
    Last edited by macgig; 09-25-2019 at 04:54 PM.

I have a 2015 imac for my main machine. was keeping this older one just to mess around with. up til now it was working fine.
    Why not just keep using the external drive and save the hassle of replacing the internal drive??

Actually one that utilizes a Firewire port would be faster than a normal USB drive on that iMac. And that iMac model should have and support Firewire "800" wich would be a lot faster.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Blog Entries
    wow. ssd drives for this are pretty cheap. but installing them looks pretty complicated. OWC SSD Upgrade Kits For iMac 2007

I'll check out the firewire option. thanks.

wow. ssd drives for this are pretty cheap. but installing them looks pretty complicated.

Don't forget you can always have a good Mac tech or independent Apple dealer/service store do the replacement for you, and may be worth the price of them doing so. And I'm sure you have some nearby, and some may even come to your home to do the job.

BTW: I'll bet you don't attempt to do your own Tire changes and mounting yourself when do you need a tire or set replaced.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Blog Entries
    I'm too old and fat to change a tire now. use to do that stuff. I've upgraded RAM, processor, and the hard drive on my G4 sawtooth, but getting inside that mac was easy. the imac is more involved to open up. I bet I can do it, not sure i'm up for the challenge... getting old I guess. I use to jump on this stuff in a heartbeat. lol. 320GB drive is $28 with shipping. cheap.

Your Mac's Specs
    Blog Entries
    local mac place wants $200 to install the drive. no way Im spending that sort of money on this old mac. Id use the external drive or try the install myself first. lol

local mac place wants $200 to install the drive.

Yikes!!! Mac sercice and repair rates must be much higer in your area than they are up around here.

I could never understand why "Jony" Ive and his Apple design crew couldn't have or just wouldn't, incorporate an almost invisible trap door to access the hard drive for any needed replacement or upgrade, especially in the iMac models???

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Yikes!!! Mac sercice and repair rates must be much higer in your area than they are up around here.

I could never understand why "Jony" Ive and his Apple design crew couldn't have or just wouldn't, incorporate an almost invisible trap door to access the hard drive for any needed replacement or upgrade, especially in the iMac models???

- Patrick
    ======
    I've said it before in various ways and in several places. Here's the latest version: Somewhere in the bowels of Cupertino Apple probably has extensive marketing research indicating that most users don't replace their own memory or hard drives. Although some of us, myself, included, would like to do so, there probably aren't enough of us to encourage Apple to reintroduce that feature (and the tech support calls that are sure to follow).

@macgig Since this isn't your primary machine anymore, Patrick's idea of running it from an external drive isn't a bad idea. If you can pick up a small SSD and enclosure cheaply it will likely feel much faster than with the current internal drive.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Somewhere in the bowels of Cupertino Apple probably has extensive marketing research indicating that most users don't replace their own memory or hard drives.
    Probably quite true sly...
    Thank God Apple and the Jony Ive design influence didn't flow over into the automotive designs and eliminate the opening hood idea and concept that covers the engine of most cars!!!

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    I've said it before in various ways and in several places. Here's the latest version: Somewhere in the bowels of Cupertino Apple probably has extensive marketing research indicating that most users don't replace their own memory or hard drives.
    Not just Apple Sly. Most new computers are built the same way. "WARNING" No user serviceable parts inside.

They're all built that way. Manufacturers don't want you to get inside and do any kind of updating. So Apple is not alone with that.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Thank God Apple and the Jony Ive design influence didn't flow over into the automotive designs and eliminate the opening hood idea and concept that covers the engine of most cars!!!
    When was the last time you looked inside a new auto? The dashboard looks like it came from a Boeing 737. Nowadays, all new autos (US and Canada) are "Nanny" built. When we purchased our new Honda the dealer advised purchasing an extended warranty to cover the electronics and software. Yes, software!

You should look inside some of these new autos Patrick. I think Jony had a side job. Maybe that's why he's going into business for himself. LOL

You should look inside some of these new autos Patrick. I think Jony had a side job. Maybe that's why he's going into business for himself. LOL
    Talk about over engineering, check this out that I came across the other day... talk about not getting one's moneys' worth...

Why Don't BMW Drivers Use Turn Signals?
    YouTube

And I thought the reason was just the drivers arrogant attitude...

But hey, any good mechanic can open the hood and replace the car's engine etc. No sense trying to replace the motor by extracting it through its exhaust pipe, or totally dismantling the car to gain access!!

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Blog Entries
    does the 20inch 2007 imac take a SATA or IDE/ATA 3.5 inch internal hard drive? I think its SATA but I'm not sure.
    Last edited by macgig; 09-27-2019 at 03:32 PM.

Thread Information