Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us: Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Letter i and number 8 not working (only sometimes)
    2014 Macbook pro 15 retina. the letter i and number 8 not working, but only sometimes.. No rhyme or reason, can be not working one click, then without doing anything they work again....... 5 mins later, not working.

i've tried resetting SMC and PRAM.. again, they will only work intermittently.

Does this indicate i need a keyboard replacement or would a reinstall of OSX maybe fix it?

Any ideas?

When those two keys stop working, do the other keys function as they should? Have you spilled anything on this MBP? When did this start? What version of macOS? Does it happen with specific apps or every app? Does holding down the i or 8 key when it isn't working suddenly release a barrage of them when they do start working?
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Mojave; iPhone 7 128gb; iPad Mini 2, 32gb
    First aid first. Shut down then upend the MBP and gently tap a corner to dislodge debris and dust. Then take a clean soft brush and try to get behind the keys as much as possible. If you have a can of compressed air, try whooshing that into the recalcitrant keys.
    Sue

If the shoe fits, buy it in every colour.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    When those two keys stop working, do the other keys function as they should? Have you spilled anything on this MBP? When did this start? What version of macOS? Does it happen with specific apps or every app? Does holding down the i or 8 key when it isn't working suddenly release a barrage of them when they do start working?
    Thanks for your response.

All other keys work perfectly fine. No spillage at all. They started not working intermittently about 2 weeks ago, although as write, they both seem to have just stopped working in the last 2 days. Can't nail t down to any specific app. no barrage on hold down, just nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by badshoehabit View Post
    First aid first. Shut down then upend the MBP and gently tap a corner to dislodge debris and dust. Then take a clean soft brush and try to get behind the keys as much as possible. If you have a can of compressed air, try whooshing that into the recalcitrant keys.
    Hi Sue,

Thanks for your reply.

Did the first aid, no luck..i will try the tapping corner thing. i'm not too sure what a recalcitrant key is?

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    You missed out on the free Apple Keyboard Replacement program by one year. Models from 2015 on are covered. However, you might want to contact Apple or make an appointment at an Apple Store to see what they can do for you.

It does sound like you need to replace that keyboard which is not an easy task and requires replacing the entire top case along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    You missed out on the free Apple Keyboard Replacement program by one year. Models from 2015 on are covered. However, you might want to contact Apple or make an appointment at an Apple Store to see what they can do for you.

It does sound like you need to replace that keyboard which is not an easy task and requires replacing the entire top case along with it.
    Ok Thanks..

keyboard replacement seems to be the way to go.. i can't see Apple replacing it for free if it's not at least 2015, sadly.

Thread Information