Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Mac Pro 2010 firmware update screen high sierra
    Hello MacForums,

This is my first post, first of many hopefully.

I've purchased a 5,1 2010 macpro that is in pretty good condition but it came loaded with Mojave and CUDA core GPU won't run on Mojave so I've backloaded highsierra but now its stuck.

The USB install drive worked and it now says that a firmware update is needed... the challenge is when I follow the instructions on screen (with usb drive still inserted) it just loops me back here in about an hour.

I should clarify that when I follow the instructions i mean it won't let me click the triangle inside the circle icon on the screenshot, i have to click shutdown from the apple top left.

So here is a screenshot of what I see, is there a secret keystroke I am missing or can someone point me to a tutorial that does include all the steps vs skipping over big chunks of the reinstall?

As a bit of background I've been using an iMac as my production machine for an Ai we are building and wanted to use the CUDA cores so I bought a geforce 1060.

The research I found says the 5,1 will support pcie 2 and not three so, hopefully I don't need that metal thing someone mentioned in another post.

IMG_0806.jpg

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Welcome to our forums.

Firmware updates are the scariest updates to contend with. I have been thru several of them which appeared to be more like a "controlled crash" rather than an update.

I don't know much about the Mac Pro so can't offer any good advice. However, Apple has instructions on how to recover from a firmware update that may have failed or somehow did not work as it should have. Try to find those instructions to see if they are of any help.

In the meantime we have several of our members who are very familiar with the Mac Pro and hopefully they will respond to your post. Stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Welcome to our forums.

Firmware updates are the scariest updates to contend with. I have been thru several of them which appeared to be more like a "controlled crash" rather than an update.

I don't know much about the Mac Pro so can't offer any good advice. However, Apple has instructions on how to recover from a firmware update that may have failed or somehow did not work as it should have. Try to find those instructions to see if they are of any help.

In the meantime we have several of our members who are very familiar with the Mac Pro and hopefully they will respond to your post. Stay tuned.
    Thanks for the quick reply!!!

is there a subforum for users of specific hardware that I should know about? Like MBP go here, iPad go here?

Second question but can you point me to info about this METAL driver that I'm hearing about, I'm curious if it applies to my situation and my Neural net training pretty much crippled my iMac so its crazy slow and I need to get the MacPro running soon.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    Try MacRumours for nhose type of forums.

If this is a true 5.1, and not a 4.1 hackintoshed, then it should run Mojave no problem. Hacks are done changing kexts etc. and can be the very devil to remove.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thread Information