Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Upgrade or wait for the next OS?
    I wouldn't say what you do is just overkill, it's more harmful than useful activity. Just. Say. No.

+1!!! And yikes, I missed the fact that SSDs were involved, so thank Jake for catching that detail and take and follow his advicei.

- Patrick
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by honestone33 View Post
    Case in point: the other day, my wife mentioned to me that when she used the Auto setting in our 2005 Mercedes for the Heater/Air Conditioner, the air flow was slow.
    I don't really want to continue this comparison to automobile maintenance considering this is a Mac forum, but a number of items you mention are repair tasks, like replacing the fuse, not maintenance tasks. I distiguish between the two per my next post.

Going back to the original post by honestone33, I actually don’t do any true maintenance on any of the six Macs in the family.
    I try to get users to occasionally empty the trash, both on the system and in Apple Mail, but that is more to make more storage available if they beed it.
    Looked at Onyx once and decided it wasn’t necessary
    Tech Tool Pro I consider a tool to “fix” problems if they occur, not something I have used for years now
    I run malwarebytes or ClamXav when someone thinks they have malware on their Mac - only malware I ever find is Windows malware which does nothing more than use up disk space.

And then of course I do regular backups, but that in my mind is not really “maintenance”. it does nothing to make the Mac run better or faster, all that is an insurance policy ‘in case’
    But I don’t remember to ever have to use a backup because the Mac or hard drive failed.
    I sometimes use it to boot into an older macOS when the user can’t find photos after a macOS upgrade because Apple changed the software - like going from iPhoto to Photo.

I suppose a spinner drive could possibly give some warning before it fails - noisy, slow, that type of thing.
    One wouldn’t see that with an SSD.
    Recovering data, if need be, from a spinner is also a lot easier than doing the same from an SSD.
    But that is also beyond maintenance tasks.

I wonder in general what true maintenance other people do - when I think about it, I don’t do any!

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Yes, I'm afraid I agree with the general consensus of opinion. Your devotion to Maintainence is admirable but probably unnecessary at that frequency. I take the "If it ain't broke don't fix it,"attitude to Maintainence although I accept that some things are cumulative and may go unnoticed so I occasionally run Onyx to empty caches and stuff and I usually do a clean instal of the next upgrade but not updates. I prefer to use monitoring to alert me to performance changes and only take action where indicated.
    Taken separately many of the things you do are exemplary but are only really necessary occasionally.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    I have had drives fail. In fact, I once had the boot drive fail (mechanical failure), and while restoring from my backup, the backup drive died (also mechanical failure). I lost everything, permanently. So now I do two kinds of backups to two different devices once each day and copy my "important" files from the backup to a third drive. One of the backup drives is a RAID array, so technically I have up to four backups of some data. None of that is "maintenance" but protection.

I don't do ANY "maintenance" on an SSD drive. I see no reason to do so, and no benefit from it. Doing disk "maintenance" is nothing but wear and tear on the drive, hastening failure. Given that is NOT what I want, I baby the drives, demanding as little from them as I can. I have a couple of drive utilities, don't use any of them. The technology of SSDs does not thrive with lots of reads/writes done to it, so anything that does that I avoid.
    Jake

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    @honestone33,

As you go to a great deal of trouble and clearly care for, and look after, your Macs and other possessions, may I ask you a genuine question?

Do you keep your Macs running 24/7 (with the display turning off after a set time); or do you shut them down daily; or after each session on them?

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    (and other mechanical devices)
    honestone33, the difference is that the Mac is NOT a mechanical device, and an SSD is even more, not mechanical, but electronic. Maintenance may make sense on a mechanical device, but not on an electronic.

But hey, you have dodged the bullet so far, keep doing what you are doing and keep dodging those bullets, if that is what makes you happy. Just be aware that what you are doing is actually counter-productive.
    Jake

I have a 2009 27" iMac that is running 24/7 except when I'm going away on vacation for a week or so. It only reboots when there is an update, but comes right back after that. I've done no, that is ZERO, routine maintenance on this thing for it's entire lifetime. The only thing I did was to replace the HDD with a SSD from a hardware perspective. I keep the OS and software I use updated. But beyond running Time Machine, I don't do anything else.

So while you are going through a pretty exhaustive routine, understand that the machine is just likely to fail after all that or work without any issues without any of it.

If it makes you feel good, by all means do it, but don't equate that with any actual outcome.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    21 inch iMac/Mojave. iPhones 5c&8
    Update or Wait = remember? By golly we have shot off at a massive tangent here! I report that the download and (Accidental install) went very well thanks to all for the advice given so freely. Everything is working well, not that I notice any difference at all but in the back ground no doubt, the iMac does feel "up to date". Thanks one and all for your input it is greatly appreciated.

Very best regards from Keith in Derby England.
    You failed to prepare, now prepare to fail.
    Growing old is Inevitable -- Growing up is Optional!

Your Mac's Specs
    Macs and SSDs have mechanical moving parts inside them, more so in Macs than SSDs.
    Wrong. There are zero mechanical moving parts in an SSD. It is entirely electronic, made of integrated circuits and memory chips. Nothing else.

As for mechanicals in the Mac, if it has an SSD the only mechanical part is the on/off button, the keyboard keys, and the fan, or fans, that blow cooling air. No other mechanical components at all. None. Zero. No spinning drive, no CD drive, nothing mechanical other than the on/off, keyboard and fans.

Don't believe me? Look at the pictures from ifixit.com as they show repairs of Macs with SSDs. MacBook Air 13" Early 2017 Repair - iFixit
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by honestone33 View Post
    Looks like I need to play "language police".

Wrong. For SSDs, here are some photos showing the inside:

Photos of the inside of an SSD - Google Search

And an associated video:

YouTube

While there are no moving mechanical parts, there are still mechanical parts. The integrated circuits, memory chips, etc. are all made out of various materials, and they are soldered onto the circuit board (which is mechanical). So, those parts are mechanical.

Then of course there is the connection hardware/circuitry for connecting the SSD to the main circuit board inside the machine (another mechanical part).

For Macs, yes, all the things you mentioned. But then there are all the ports used for connecting peripherals. And there are many, many sensors mounted within the machine. Yes, they are electrical, but they are also mechanical parts, along (again) with the need to mechanically connect them.

When I replaced the (slow) 1 TB drive inside my Mac Mini with a Samsung 840 Pro 256 gig SSD, I of course needed to make various connections. Such connections are definitely mechanical.
    So are you suggesting your extensive maintenance routine every week is responsible that these 'non-moving" mechanical parts don't fail?

The only mechanical parts you mention that have a real potential of failure are the connectors and I didn't see you mention that you lubricate those as part of your maintenance routine.

Looks like I need to play "language police".

That would be the recommended thing to do, but please do so correctly and accurately.

- Patrick
    ======

Yeah, this thread ended about where I thought it was headed and so we are done!
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Thread Information