Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Upgrade or wait for the next OS?
    @IWT
    If/when the person wants to run the Installer, they make a copy and place it in the Applications Folder and activate from there.

Ian, in my experiences, one doesn't have to move or make a copy and they can just run it from wherever it was stored. Even on an external drive, regardless of type.

FWIW: I disconnect all non-related peripherals (drives etc.) when doing an OS X install or upgrade.

- Patrick
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    A saved OS install file can work quite well on its own and just save it or a copy and save the extra DiskMaker X.app creation work.
    Are you saying one could have just copied the install file to a macOS formatted USB flash drive and used that install the OS on all the Macs in the family?
    I was under the impression that doesn't work.
    If that works, what do these disk makers and Disk Creators actually do? There are at least three different ones that I have come across, plus the Apple method via Terminal.

If you only wish to upgrade an existing version of macOS, you can use the installer in its .APP form from anywhere.
    If you wish to erase the HD and do a clean re-install, you will want to use the disk creator method which create a bootable USB drive for a particular version of macOS installer.

If you want to create the bootable disk from the Terminal and know that you aren't going to mess anything up, by all means go for it. Diskmaker X or other similar tools provide a intuitive GUI to do the same action without needing to know the Terminal commands.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    As Ashwin says, the difference is that the apps and processes create a BOOTABLE usb drive, so that if/when the internal drive dies, you replace the drive, boot from the USB drive and run the installer. It's also useful because you can elect NOT to install and drop back to where you can use Disk Utility from the USB to do a check/partition/format of the internal drive.
    Jake

the difference is that the apps and processes create a BOOTABLE usb drive, so that if/when the internal drive dies, you replace the drive, boot from the USB drive and run the installer.

Hmmm... OK, but I and I assume many others have and maintain a bootable backup clone for if and when that situation arises.

But one can always have both I guess. Just in case.

- Patrick
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Hmmm... OK, but I and I assume many others have and maintain a bootable backup clone for if and when that situation arises.
    I would use the bootable Mojave USB Flash drive to do a clean install on the Macs rather than upgrade from ElCapitan where they are all now.
    Might get rid of some extraneous stuff that is still lingering around when they were upgraded from Snow Leopard.

After I make a bootable backup of each one of course
    Last edited by krs; 09-19-2019 at 12:28 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro 17; 8 gigs
    Downloading Mojave but waiting for Catalina
    Quote Originally Posted by sllewk View Post
    By the way my Apple iMac and the MacBook Pro are both expensive toys not workhorses.
    With some dependence on what you do, I would not agree. I'm a freelance contractor/consultant and carried a Mac since the Titanium. Every customer is a sea of Windows, and other than a couple of things that need Windows in a virtual environment, there has not yet been anything I could not do -- and usually do faster with less headaches -- than the rest of the staff. Even odd things; for example I've traveled with the staff and have been the Lone Ranger, being the only one that could get on VPN. They all have corporate-configured Windows with the VPN installed "as it should be", but yet and quite often, it did not work for them. Not to pat myself on the back but I have been in meetings where the facilitator could get his PC to show on the big screen, but it worked for me. Same for collaboration apps (WebEx, etc.) where users can't seem to get their screens to share or the microphones to work.

Back on the Mohave thing, I would have gotten it but not installed it and instead waited for Catalina's first update (I never install the first release) and also waited for things I need to be 64 bit. Also, I always back up, format my drive, and install everything from scratch. I have a checklist of things I might forget, apps that need to be deactivated and such, and a database of serials. I agree with KRS in that things tend to linger.

keith,
    carbon copy clone existing on to an external ssd /hd ....see what works, personal preference and apps. that will allow you to try it and if you dont like erase and keep the external hd /ssd for other uses........
    good luck

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Quote Originally Posted by tlmurray View Post
    Back on the Mohave thing, I would have gotten it but not installed it and instead waited for Catalina's first update (I never install the first release) and also waited for things I need to be 64 bit. Also, I always back up, format my drive, and install everything from scratch. I have a checklist of things I might forget, apps that need to be deactivated and such, and a database of serials. I agree with KRS in that things tend to linger.
    Tim, this is what I suggested back in post #14. Unfortunately silewk accidentally continued the instal process and is now happily using Mojave according to him, which is great.
    I also went on to detail the reasons i like DiskMaker X but my real reasons are based on the value of a BOOTABLE installer in a small portable form providing repair, restore, install and erase functions.
    I recently had a macOS (Mojave) corruption issue on my MBP which was also passed on to my bootable clone (CCC) on external USB HD. I was unable to access the Recovery Partition neither on the internal SSD or the clone.
    I tried Internet Recovery and Time Machine options all without success because I did not effectively have an unaffected OS to boot from.
    Then I remembered I had a Bootable installer on a USB thumb drive that I had saved from High Sierra, created with DiskMaker X.
    I successfully booted the MBP from the thumb drive and tried to install a copy of High Sierra. No go! Naturally, the device stated I could not install an earlier macOS. So no other option than to erase the SSD.
    That done I performed a clean instal of High Sierra, set it up as per previous, logged into the App store and downloaded a fresh copy of the Mojave Upgrade installer.
    I then went online and downloaded DiskMaker X and created a new bootable thumb drive of Mojave over the old High Sierra version.
    Lastly I ran the Mojave installer I had downloaded from the App Store.
    Now I had an empty MBP running a fresh version of Mojave.
    Luckily my personal data on the CCC clone was mostly undamaged so I was able to drag and drop my folders back onto the MBP. I chose to download fresh copies of most of my third party apps (this is where a Password Manager really shines) and within a week I was back to where I was was before the disaster, fresh CCC clone to boot.
    Could I have done this with any other form of backup? In my case the answer is no.
    Could I have created a bootable installer using Terminal or other application? Yes, I could have but DiskMaker X is the one that I am most familiar with, is free and poses the least chance of user error.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    The above was months ago and (touch wood) no further problems. Obviously I would love to know what happened given that I use the best VPN I can find full time, AdGuard and mostly DuckDuck Go as a search engine its hard to imagine an outside cause but who knows?
    As one of our members wisely says, "It's not a matter of if your device will fail but when." (I might be paraphrasing there).
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Wow, gosh and good heavens Saturday must be a very busy day for you

I couldn't keep up that routine and I'm guessing that most of our members would consider your dedication as being overkill.

That said I do wholly endorse your Backup strategy and many of the other points you make.

In passing, I note that your two Macs are not running the latest version of macOS Mojave which is 10.14.6 Any reason for that?

Ian
    Ian

I couldn't keep up that routine and I'm guessing that most of our members would consider your dedication as being overkill.

I wouldn't even if I could, but I could certainly make the time to do so if would prove beneficial, but I dare say, some of those tests are stressing that Mac beyond normal use which I wouldn't think was very good for its longevity.

In passing, I note that your two Macs are not running the latest version of macOS Mojave which is 10.14.6 Any reason for that?
    Ian, I'm suspecting but the poor guy doesn't have enough time left over to update his specs with all that maintenance being performed.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    honestone33, consider this: All that maintenance work is hammering your SSD(s). SSDs fail because of excessive reads/writes. You are actually shortening the life of your SSD(s) with reads/writes you really don't need to do. I know you live near Microsoft, but macOS isn't Windows and doesn't need "maintenance" like that. I run OnyX about once every six months, never check the SSD with anything, never run memory tests and don't do any of your Saturday routine. I wouldn't say what you do is just overkill, it's more harmful than useful activity. Just. Say. No.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    honestone33, the Microsoft comment was a weak attempt at some humor. But seriously, you are over stressing the SSDs enormously with all that work every Saturday. I remember "back in the day" you had to "true" tires to get them round. That truing shaved off some tread to reduce the high spots so that the wheel would not wobble. Now you don't need to do that because the tire manufacturers are better at getting them round in the first place. What you are doing is essentially "truing" the tires of the Mac every Saturday. Every. Saturday. Shaving life off the SSDs.

But it's a free country (so far) so you do whatever you want. Technology is significantly different from when you started this maintenance routine and what you are doing is not beneficial, but if it makes you feel better...
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by honestone33 View Post
    Finally, I always say that maintaining a Mac is like maintaining an automobile. If one neglects to do such necessary (and in some cases, beneficial) maintenance, issues will certainly arise. I make every effort to avoid such issues, both for our automobiles and my Macs.
    Yes....but time marches on....
    I used to regularly change points, the ignition coil and sprk plugs on the automobile as well, but no more.
    Points and coil have disappeared and last time I asked my mechanic about changing spark plugs, he looked at me as if I had lived under a rock for the last ten years.

Thread Information