Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Upgrade or wait for the next OS?
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    It has always been a conundrum Keith ~ should it be no swearing aloud or no swearing allowed?
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

(Whether you make a Bootable Installer is, in a sense, and with no offence to others, irrelevant because you can always initiate the installation process at a later date).

I'm in full agreement with Ian's comments here, and I often wonder why so many always seem to suggest using DiskMaker X.app to create an installer disk and creating the extra work when most users can just use the MacOS installer file that was downloaded from the Apple site.

Just curious, but why suggest a process that most new users don't even need, or to make an OS X install more confusing that it needs to be.

I'd say that Apple got it pretty well as simple as it could be done. Except for when they forgot to tell the user that the installer was downloaded into the Applications folder with a different name than expected.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Patrick, some members prefer to have the installer on a USB, so they can do testing on their Mac(s) without having to boot into the Recovery partition. And it will also install the OS, without discarding it from the Applications folder.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    You're right Bob. I keep the installers around for just that reason. Especially now that some of the installers might not be in a user's purchase history. I ran into that issue recently when I was in the process of resurrecting my 2008 MacBook Pro. The OS version I wanted to use wasn't in my purchased items list in the App Store. It took me a while to get to the version I wanted. In the time it took me to find a workable download that was legit I could have been half-way toward completing the reinstall.

There's also the time and data wasted re-downloading OS versions. Users with metered data plans or slow internet connections are not going to like that option.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    I have it on a bootable USB so that if my SSD dies and I have to get a replacement, I don't have to go through the whole Internet recovery process and can just. boot from the USB and install and get back in the water quicker.
    Jake

@sllewk
    Quote Originally Posted by sllewk View Post
    Hi Bob, you are getting very technical now with "just downloading and not installing "! How on earth would I do that with the OS because with the OS I thought it would be an automatic installation. ...

Just like downloading a new application, but just don't run it which would start the OS installation upgrade process.

Just in case it wasn't made very clear with the extra topics added.

PS: You can just stash it somewhere for use later on if you like and you would have your own copy in case or when Apple pulls it from any download location.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Not quite that simple, Patrick, because the application starts up at the end of the download. So you have to cancel out of the application after it starts up without authorizing it to install. Apparently Keith authorized it to install, which means at the end it was deleted, also as a part of the install process. So to get the installer to save somewhere, he would have to download it again, cancel the installation and then the installer will be in the ~/Applications folder.
    Jake

Not quite that simple, Patrick, because the application starts up at the end of the download.

Thanks for that update and information Jake, I didn't realize that, and neither have I witnessed it so I guess it started sometimes after High Sierra as I still have all OS installer images up to that point and I just moved them to a separate folder where they still remain after they had downloaded. And some of them have been used several times now, including some COMBO Updaters.

I would have been livid if they had started to run on their own and without my admin OK and overwritten any existing OS I had been using.

- Patrick
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    I'm in full agreement with Ian's comments here, and I often wonder why so many always seem to suggest using DiskMaker X.app to create an installer disk and creating the extra work when most users can just use the MacOS installer file that was downloaded from the Apple site.
    I do it because when I do upgrade the macOS, I have six Macs in the immediate family to upgrade.
    Saves me downloading the same file six times from the Apple store.

Your Mac's Specs
    Ah, well, they don't do that, Patrick. The app starts and gets to an initial screen that asks, I think, what you want to do. At that point you can exit and quit the program and the installer is left in Applications. But if you run it from Applications, it will delete the installer once the installation is done. IF you run the install from anywhere else (including a bootable USB drive) it does NOT uninstall.
    Jake

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Ah, well, they don't do that, Patrick. The app starts and gets to an initial screen that asks, I think, what you want to do. At that point you can exit and quit the program and the installer is left in Applications. But if you run it from Applications, it will delete the installer once the installation is done. IF you run the install from anywhere else (including a bootable USB drive) it does NOT uninstall.
    That is quite correct, Jake.

What I was suggesting, and have done it myself, is that the OP or anyone, can download macOS Mojave and stop the process there. The Installer app is in Applications, as you say.

It can be copied to an External Hard Drive (EHD) or anywhere you like. It is then there for the future. If/when the person wants to run the Installer, they make a copy and place it in the Applications Folder and activate from there.

I am in no way arguing against Diskmaker X. I have used it for years. Merely pointing out that it is not a necessity if all you want is to download an OS just in case you might wish to use it in the future.

Ian
    Ian

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Well, it's about as stable as it can get now and it still runs 32bit apps (unlike the about to be released Catalina) and has all of the same apps as High Sierra plus a few refinements such as Dark Mode in Appearance Preferences. Not to mention you got it before Apple removed it from the App Store which it usually does after the release of the latest macOS. Not only that but now that you have downloaded it (albeit it will have disappeared from your Applications Folder) it will now be in your Purchases History on the App Store meaning you can always download it again if you decide to make a bootable USB installer at a later time.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post

Just curious, but why suggest a process that most new users don't even need, or to make an OS X install more confusing that it needs to be.

I'd say that Apple got it pretty well as simple as it could be done. Except for when they forgot to tell the user that the installer was downloaded into the Applications folder with a different name than expected.

- Patrick
    ======
    Starting the installation after downloading or sometime in the future inherently is going to UPGRADE the existing installation of macOS. What happens if you want to do a clean re-install (the reason is irrelevant)? Where are you going to move the installer to? Doesn't it make sense to have the installer ready on a USB stick so that, guess what, you can do a clean re-install or an upgrade.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    I do it because when I do upgrade the macOS, I have six Macs in the immediate family to upgrade.
    Saves me downloading the same file six times from the Apple store.

That's fine I guess but not exactly a normal situation, and quite an overkill to what the OP was asking and really no need to use DiskMaker X.app to create an installer disk for a normal user.

A saved OS install file can work quite well on its own and just save it or a copy and save the extra DiskMaker X.app creation work.

- Patrick
    ======

Ah, well, they don't do that, Patrick. The app starts and gets to an initial screen that asks, I think, what you want to do

That is just as I recall any OS X upgrade installer working Jake, and with the option, at least in my case, possibly an option as to which volume partition to install it on.

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information