Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Any reasons not to install Mojave?

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac
    My iMac (Retina 5K 27-inch 2017) has Sierra. I am thinking about upgrading to Mojave.

I am wondering if the experience of others here suggests there are reasons not to do so.

The thing is, I do not really have a reason for upgrading ... other than that it's there. My first Mac experience was Leopard, on a MacBook Pro, and I've transited through the others (except High Sierra) since then to Sierra. I've liked them all .. and again, I continued upgrading simply because I could.

I've confirmed with RoaringApps that the apps I use are compatible with Mojave.

I will appreciate any thoughts.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    You have ever right to criticise my response, because I am proposing a very good reason why you should

It is this: you have Sierra. You clearly didn’t want High Sierra or you would have done so by now and it’s no longer available anyway.

Catalina is a big, big change not only because it will not run 32 bit apps, but the whole OS has been overhauled.

So my advice is get Mojave now, while you can - it will likely not be available after Catalina is released.

That way, you will have an OS which is up to date and will be supported for at least the next three years.

I agree, not what you asked, but relevant advice in the changing circumstances.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    I have a 2014 Mini, and I have been running Mojave since it was released. I believe it will benefit you to have the installed on your system, even if you choose not to install it.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

There is absolutely no reason for you not to upgrade! If you've confirmed that all of your apps work. The other thing you should check is if you have an old iPhone, the upgrade of macOS will bring with it an upgraded version of iTunes which will make it hard for you to sync to an older iPhone. If you have a recent (iPhone 8 onward) iPhone or no iPhone at all, then you are fine.

Generally, it is always advised to upgrade and stay current on ALL of your software and most importantly the OS. There are security fixes and other things you can benefit from.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

I want to make a Mojave USB Installer and prefer to use one of the applications to do that rather than using the terminal commands.

I previously made USB installers of some of the older macOS versions using DiskMaker X, but there was also Disk Creator and I now see Disk Drill for that task and there are probably others.
    When I made the earlier USB installers, I found DiskMaker X was a bit easier to use than Disk Creator, so I used that.
    But rght now I'm not even sure if DiskMaker X is compatibe or capable to make a Mojave USB Installer so I'm wondering what members here would recommend - preferably something they have experience with.

The other related question is the size of USB Flash Drive required.
    For all USB installers up to and including High Sierra, I used a Kingston DT101 G@ 8GB drive of which I had a few hanging around.
    Most of the articles I read on line about creating a Mojave Installer recommend at least a 12GB (do these even exist?) or a minimum 16GB USB Flash drive. Only one so far stated an 8GB drive is fine.
    What is the consensus on that?
    One site suggests that the software is checking that at least 12GB of storage space is available before proceeding even though the Mojave installer only takes just over 6GB.

And finally, does the Mojave Installer i have on my harddrive have to be in the Applications folder? Right now it's in a separate folder along with the other macOS installers I downloaded.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac
    Thank you all. Your arguments are convincing. I will upgrade.

What I failed to mention is that my hesitation to upgrade is not about Apple. It dates to my decades with Windows (and before that DOS). Then, installing or re-installing operating systems seemed always to be an ordeal. I remember being told by a friend who was an engineer and worked on computers to "Never install Version 1 of anything!" and "If what you're working with is working, don't mess with it!" (All his instructions seemed to end with an exclamation point.) So, old habits dying hard, even now I sort of hold my breath when the AppStore is downloading and installing a new OS. But your reassurances are reassuring.

Raz0rEdge: I do have an older iPhone (6s Plus) but I have never opened iTunes on it, and I cannot remember the last time I opened iTunes on the iMac or MBP. So I think that will be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by stefanmaine View Post
    I remember being told by a friend who was an engineer and worked on computers to "Never install Version 1 of anything!"
    I think that applies to the macOS as well unless one wants to be at the bleeding, sorry I meant leading, edge of the new OS.

Bur Mojave is now at upissue 6, ie 10.14.6, so it should be pretty stable.

Thank you all. Your arguments are convincing. I will upgrade.

What I failed to mention is that my hesitation to upgrade is not about Apple. It dates to my decades with Windows (and before that DOS). Then, installing or re-installing operating systems seemed always to be an ordeal. I remember being told by a friend who was an engineer and worked on computers to "Never install Version 1 of anything!" and "If what you're working with is working, don't mess with it!" (All his instructions seemed to end with an exclamation point.) So, old habits dying hard, even now I sort of hold my breath when the AppStore is downloading and installing a new OS. But your reassurances are reassuring.

Raz0rEdge: I do have an older iPhone (6s Plus) but I have never opened iTunes on it, and I cannot remember the last time I opened iTunes on the iMac or MBP. So I think that will be okay.
    My guess is that that engineer lived in a world where he wasn't connected to anything and just lived with the apps he had locally. We live in a very connected world today and the world outside your computer is changing at a dramatic pace. So it's best to keep up.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac
    As discussed here, I upgraded to Mojave yesterday. I am delighted to report that it went smoothly. I gladly (gratefully) give Apple that: Upgrading from one OS to another is a simple process.

One comment: When I open an app whose linked icon is NOT on the dock (say, from Launchpad), that app's icon sits at the end of the dock while the app is open. That has always been the case: Icons of apps not on the dock, sit, when opened, between two vertical black lines at the end of the dock, next to Downloads and Trash. The difference is that now, when I close the app, its icon remains on the dock, whereas in previous OS versions, closing an app whose icon was not normally on the dock, removed the icon. Now, I have to right click the icon, select Options>Remove from Dock. The icon even stays in place through a Restart.

I suppose to some that is a Feature. But for those for whom it is a nuisance, I wonder if anyone here knows of a way to undo it.

Thank you.

As discussed here, I upgraded to Mojave yesterday. I am delighted to report that it went smoothly. I gladly (gratefully) give Apple that: Upgrading from one OS to another is a simple process.

One comment: When I open an app whose linked icon is NOT on the dock (say, from Launchpad), that app's icon sits at the end of the dock while the app is open. That has always been the case: Icons of apps not on the dock, sit, when opened, between two vertical black lines at the end of the dock, next to Downloads and Trash. The difference is that now, when I close the app, its icon remains on the dock, whereas in previous OS versions, closing an app whose icon was not normally on the dock, removed the icon. Now, I have to right click the icon, select Options>Remove from Dock. The icon even stays in place through a Restart.

I suppose to some that is a Feature. But for those for whom it is a nuisance, I wonder if anyone here knows of a way to undo it.

Thank you.
    I'm with you on this one, apps on my Dock are the ones I care about and want to use frequently. Any other app I can happily launch from Spotlight or Finder and don't need it lingering around and making my Dock shrink.

You can revert back to the behavior you like by going to System Preferences->Dock and unchecking the option that reads Show recent applications in Dock.This will remove that section between your permanently pinned applications and Downloads and Trash icons. Now icons for apps you starts outside of those pinned will show up at the end of the line and will disappear when the app is quit.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    You can revert back to the behaviour you like by going to System Preferences->Dock and unchecking the option that reads Show recent applications in Dock
    Absolutely right. I did this from the start when I got macOS Mojave. And I removed the option on my iPad Pro as well. It's a love it/hate it facility. I suppose Dark Mode is as well. No problem with that at all if you can turn off/disable a feature.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac
    apps on my Dock are the ones I care about and want to use frequently
    That was my thought, too. Thank you for the fix.

It's a love it/hate it facility. I suppose Dark Mode is as well.
    Yea, I don't quite get the point of Dark Mode. But as long as it's an option, that's fine.

I will say, the default Desktop background was a little unsettling: a seemingly bigger than life desert dune reaching out at me made me uncomfortable. I changed it, to the solid blue I'm used to.

Ironically, back from my terminal days, I normally used a black background with white/gray text. So I was using "Dark mode" before it was the hip thing to do. That being said, I do like the Dark Mode functionality of Mojave once all the apps adapted to it.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    I find the "recents on the Dock" useful as I find that depending on what I am doing I tend to use and reuse an app so having it on the Dock temporarily is handy. When I don't use that app for a while, it gets replaced by whatever I am using frequently at the time. So as I shift attention to various projects, the most recent app is there, handy, but not permanently. Just what I want.

Dark mode? Meh. Hard on the eyes.
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    I find the "recents on the Dock" useful as I find that depending on what I am doing I tend to use and reuse an app so having it on the Dock temporarily is handy. When I don't use that app for a while, it gets replaced by whatever I am using frequently at the time. So as I shift attention to various projects, the most recent app is there, handy, but not permanently. Just what I want.
    Is that functionally any different than "Recent Items" under the  that list the last 15 applications one used?

Thread Information