Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Angry Going crazy here (freezes and hangs)
    So...last I posted here was about a year-and-a-half ago. I was having some problems with my power supply. Got that fixed and it hasn't troubled me again. However, right now I'm having constant issues and I'd like to see if anyone has any idea what could be causing them.

I'm running a Mac Pro 3.1 (early-2008) with El Capitan and 24GB of HDD2 RAM. I was previously using a 1TB hard-disk drive, but it ultimately came very close to failing (it was several years old). The computer repair guy was able to copy its contents onto a brand-new 2TB SSD. So, now I'm running El Capitan on a 2TB SSD that is well under half full, with 24 gigs of RAM to boot. Should be super-fast...and it is faster than before...but there have been some ridiculous hiccups lately.

On more than half the occasions that I boot up, iTunes freezes when I attempt to open it. It always works fine when I'm able to get it going.

Quite often, Finder will freeze indefinitely.

Even "About My Mac" freezes often.

When these problems pop up, they cannot be fixed. My only options are to turn off and restart the computer, or to simply not use the affected program(s). (Luckily, these freezes don't keep other apps from running.)

I need this computer to be dependable. I've begun formatting and editing a book I've written on it. I use GarageBand frequently. I often listen to my music on iTunes while doing other tasks. Moreover, I've done enough that this oughta be humming along unless there was some bug copied over from the old hard drive, or something inside the computer is failing. I'm always able to start up and log in, and as far as I can tell, only built-in Apple software (iTunes, Finder, etc.) is affected. It's just extremely annoying. Does anyone have any past experience with these issues? I'm getting tired of having to boot my computer up three times just to run iTunes.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone may be able to provide.

Going crazy here (freezes and hangs)
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Freezing could be due to: failing memory, intermittent or bad graphics card, and possibly even a flaky power supply. Also, you might want to check the SSD even though it's new.

I'm sure our other members who own a Mac Pro will have some more suggestions for you to pursue.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Freezing could be due to: failing memory, intermittent or bad graphics card, and possibly even a flaky power supply. Also, you might want to check the SSD even though it's new.

I'm sure our other members who own a Mac Pro will have some more suggestions for you to pursue.
    Thank you. How would one go about checking the SSD?

- - - Updated - - -

When I go to "About This Mac" and click "Storage" it freezes. I think one time I've been able to look at that tab and verify that it is in fact a 2TB SSD.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Give this article a quick read. If you're already familiar with Disk Utility (in Applications/Utilities). the directions fro checking and repairing a disk are near the bottom of the article.
    ďHard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.Ē
    Kevin Durant

Quote Originally Posted by MCM0313 View Post
    Thank you. How would one go about checking the SSD?
    DriveDX comes to mind.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    You may also want to startup in Safe mode, Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    Iím with sly dude, if you havenít already definitely run Disk Utility, First Aid and see what you get. Iím also a little worried about compatibility of your SSD if About This Mac is having trouble reading it.
    Lastly Iím wondering if reinstalling the Operating System might be necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Update: Have run First Aid on SSD and no problems there.

Your Mac's Specs
    When you ran DU>FA, did you run it on the disk/drive, or the partition?
    Last edited by ferrarr; 09-10-2019 at 09:52 PM. Reason: clarification
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    When you ran DU>FA, did you run it on the disk/drive, or the partition?
    Disk.

I'm always able to start up and log in, and as far as I can tell, only built-in Apple software (iTunes, Finder, etc.) is affected.

I'd try downloading the appropriate MacOS Update xxx Installer and run and install it.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by MCM0313 View Post
    Disk.
    You should startup in Recovery, then run it on. the partition as well.
    -- Bob --

Thread Information