Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thumbs down Personal Computers were suppose to make our tasks easier?
    Hello, Let me introduce myself: I am an old Communications Engineer, a Ham Operator, a Biomedical Engineer, retired.
    I write technical consulting articles on many subjects, with little or no credit given.
    I work in areas with no internet, waiting for Starx to launch.
    Why is it so hard to tether to my phone for internet service? I've read the blogs, in 2013 there were discussions about tethering to make simplex transfers to my mac pro, but nothing I can find about duplex traffic, using the phone for an internet connection. :

Personal Computers were suppose to make our tasks easier?
    The process works like this assuming you have the hotspot service with your carrier and using an iPhone.

1) Go to Settings->Personal Hotspot
    2) Flip switch

You were shown a WiFi password on that page. Too complicated? Change it to something easier for you to type.

Go to your PC and enable WiFi if not already enabled and search for your Phone's name. The Personal Hotspot will even tell you what the access point will be called. Once found, click on it, enter your password and you are connected.

The iPhone will now have a blue icon indicating that someone is tethered to it and you have Internet connection on your PC.

Don't have hotspot service or an iPhone? Then provide more details about your environment.

Additionally, if you intention is to use a cellular connection as your primary Internet service, you don't want to use the phone as a hotspot (this is meant for temporary purposes), you want to go down the MiFi route where you get a dedicated device that will connect to the cellular network with it's own data plan and create a WiFi access point for all of your device just like any other WiFi router.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

PCs were suppose to make tasks easier?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    The process works like this assuming you have the hotspot service with your carrier and using an iPhone.

1) Go to Settings->Personal Hotspot
    2) Flip switch

You were shown a WiFi password on that page. Too complicated? Change it to something easier for you to type.

Go to your PC and enable WiFi if not already enabled and search for your Phone's name. The Personal Hotspot will even tell you what the access point will be called. Once found, click on it, enter your password and you are connected.

The iPhone will now have a blue icon indicating that someone is tethered to it and you have Internet connection on your PC.

Don't have hotspot service or an iPhone? Then provide more details about your environment.

Additionally, if you intention is to use a cellular connection as your primary Internet service, you don't want to use the phone as a hotspot (this is meant for temporary purposes), you want to go down the MiFi route where you get a dedicated device that will connect to the cellular network with it's own data plan and create a WiFi access point for all of your device just like any other WiFi router.
    Thank you RazorEdge,

This is helpfyl. My phone is a Samsung J3, but I am working toward a setup to go marine taraveling. My moto: KISS and cheap.
    Excuse my mistakes. Very small screen..

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    If by "marine traveling" you mean voyaging out to sea, consider that if you have no cellular connection, even if you are connected to the Samsung (or any phone) on the Mac, you won't have Internet because the Samsung has no cell coverage. If you are on a cruise ship, some of them offer Internet through the ship's wifi at exorbitant rates.
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by normgtg View Post
    Thank you RazorEdge,

This is helpfyl. My phone is a Samsung J3, but I am working toward a setup to go marine taraveling. My moto: KISS and cheap.
    Excuse my mistakes. Very small screen..
    Follow these step-by-step instructions to enable the hotspot functionality on your Galaxy phone. Some carriers include hotspot as part of your plan, and others don't. So before turning it on, check with your carrier what's going to happen in your case. Second, if wherever you are traveling has cellular coverage, then any of these solutions would work, if not, then as Jake said, you're not going to have much luck.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    If by "marine traveling" you mean voyaging out to sea, consider that if you have no cellular connection, even if you are connected to the Samsung (or any phone) on the Mac, you won't have Internet because the Samsung has no cell coverage. If you are on a cruise ship, some of them offer Internet through the ship's wifi at exorbitant rates.
    I am chartering a motor yacht to cruise the intercostal waterway. I am so ready for Starx satellites.I know marine telephone is expensive, but I will need internet and am planning for backup systems.

Your Mac's Specs
    I looked for what Starx might be, didn't find anything in the search that sounded even remotely like a satellite system, so I cannot help you with that. However, the intracoastal waterway, if that is what you meant, will have cellular service depending on where you might be at any given time. You can check with your cell provider to see what their maps say. Bear in mind that the provider maps of coverage are optimistic. You will, as we have said, need to check with your cell provider to see if they offer hotspot support on that smartphone.
    Jake

I looked for what Starx might be, didn't find anything in the search that sounded even remotely like a satellite system, so I cannot help you with that. However, the intracoastal waterway, if that is what you meant, will have cellular service depending on where you might be at any given time. You can check with your cell provider to see what their maps say. Bear in mind that the provider maps of coverage are optimistic. You will, as we have said, need to check with your cell provider to see if they offer hotspot support on that smartphone.
    Yes, on provider. I am working on a backup, cell towers go down.

SpaceX wants to offer Starlink internet to consumers after just six launches

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    The two great computing lies:-

1. Computers save you time.

2. Computers save paper.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Yeah, I wouldn't depend on this Starlink stuff being accessible anytime soon. Even if it is available, the initial cost is likely going to be quite high until they reach certain mass before the prices begin to drop.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    And I'm not sure the speeds through Starlink are going to be that good, frankly. The signals are bound to be very weak, given the distance and frequencies involved. The error rate is going to force a lot of data repeats. I know Musk is innovative, but I think physics is going to get in the way.
    Jake

One of the potential advantages of being out in open waters with satellite connections is that you aren't going to be dealing with line-of-sight issues. However, I agree that the speeds aren't going to match broadband or FiOS speeds. However, from the old Hughes satellite systems from the earlier 90's, the current gen systems are significant faster. The other thing to keep in mind is that you are getting an Internet connection in places that you normally wouldn't, so you have to change your behavior and expectations accordingly.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    In the old Hughes system you used geostationary satellites one way, to receive. Then you used phone lines for transmit. Yes, the tech has improved, but now the SpaceX system has to handle true duplex in a low earth orbit. No "frying pan" antennas, just whatever your phone has in it. We'll see how well it works. Musk is innovative, but I'm still concerned about signal strength, bandwidth, interference from weather, etc.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Mojave; iPhone 7 128gb; iPad Mini 2, 32gb
    I've been caught out with high charges when using my mobile (cellphone) on ships, though I cited ignorance and was refunded. You connect to a maritime network and it's very expensive to either make calls or roam - even if your provider, as mine does, includes international roaming in your package.
    Sue

If the shoe fits, buy it in every colour.

Your Mac's Specs
    Sue, that is exactly right. International roaming only applies to countries, not to maritime providers. The maritime services are all satellite channels and are very expensive. I was on an 11-day cruise, trans-Atlantic, and was very careful to stay way from the maritime services and only use my cell when on dry ground.
    Jake

Thread Information