Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    PCs were suppose to make tasks easier?
    Quote Originally Posted by badshoehabit View Post
    I've been caught out with high charges when using my mobile (cellphone) on ships, though I cited ignorance and was refunded. You connect to a maritime network and it's very expensive to either make calls or roam - even if your provider, as mine does, includes international roaming in your package.
    Hi Sue,
    Welcome to this topic.
    I understand that Europe has nothing but satellite phone, is that true where you are at?

Personal Computers were suppose to make our tasks easier?
    Quote Originally Posted by normgtg View Post
    Hi Sue,
    Welcome to this topic.
    I understand that Europe has nothing but satellite phone, is that true where you are at?
    Thats not accurate at all.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBookPro 15", Original iPad, iPad 6, iPhone 5
    I am chartering a motor yacht to cruise the intercostal waterway. I am so ready for Starx satellites.I know marine telephone is expensive, but I will need internet and am planning for backup systems.
    I did costal waterway last year. No cell or wifi coverage most of the time except when we went into port. Was kind of nice, actually as we were pretty busy during the day and tired at night. Relied on ship’s radio for necessary com. For entertainment some movies downloaded in advance and old fashioned card games.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Hi Sue,
    Welcome to this topic.
    I'm with Ashwin on this one. I travel to Europe every year, have never seen a satellite phone. Lot's of mobile cellular, and wifi is everywhere, but not satellite. From what I can tell, satellite is for really remote locations where cellular has not reached. Think desert, jungle, high mountains, really remote locations. I think they still use satellite at Mount Everest base camp, for example, but then put up temporary cell to communicate to upper camps. Ships at sea use satellite, but not as a portable. Most have a satellite receiver/transmitter, dish antenna, and then use Wifi for local connections.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Catalina; iPhone 7 128gb; iPad Mini 2, 32gb
    Hi Sue,
    Welcome to this topic.
    News to me. Phone signal available in Europe in all except the most remote areas. My UK £10 per month SIM-only package includes roaming in most countries, plus free calls and texts back home. Only problem is, as discussed earlier by a few of us, when phone connects to a maritime network. I was in Italy this last weekend and happily WhatsApped to various countries, uploaded to Facebook, navigated with Google Maps and managed my email etc all within my package.

I LOVE modern technology - my phone is my diary, encyclopaedia, notebook, route mapper, bank card, safety net. But I do wish the battery charge would last longer (iphone7)!
    Sue

If the shoe fits, buy it in every colour.

Thread Information