Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: ibook g4

ibook g4
    i have an old ibook g4 model ID PowerBook 6.5, Power PC G4 (1.2) Boot ROM Version 4.8.7, stuck in bootloop, I have no install CD , no recovery or safe mode, need help, please

ibook g4
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Really need to get yourself an install CD/DVD of some sort...so you can boot from something other than the internal HD. I would suggest Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger) or 10.5 (Leopard). Best place to get this is probably eBay.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

ibook g4
    I wonder what state it's PRAM might be in, and maybe it does not have enough poewr to prevent that Powerbook from booting.

As I recall, I think that's one of the things that could affect those models. But it's been a loooooong time. Just a thought....

That model can run Maximum MacOS: X 10.5.8
    iBook G4/1.2 12-Inch (Late 2004 - Op) Specs (Late 2004 12-Inch, M9623LL/A, PowerBook6,5, A1054, N/A): EveryMac.com

- Patrick
    ======

Ive seen a couple on ebay, it doesnt have to be specifically for this ibook does it, or will any mac os x 10.5 install dvd work
    , ive been trying to download one off the internet to put on usb flashdrive , with no success

I think its a 2009 model at least thats what it says, it was running os x 10.6 and was having problems with wifi , when wifi connected, safari wouldnt search, when i tried to put it in recover, it somehow downgraded to 10.5, when i shut it down for the night and tried to bootup the next morning it went into bootloop. since then, it wont go into recovery or safe mode anymore, i booted into single user mode and ran fsck -fy and it came back as every ok, ive tried to boot hold option, but no other boot shown, ive tried downloading install disc online and burn to usb flashdrive but not sure if im doin it in right format, ive tried booting from open firmware from usb and just get blank screen with circle and line through, i reset prams and booted in vebrose nothing helps, still stuck in boot loop, if any mac os x 10.5 will work , then ill buy one off ebay, just tryna make sure it doesnt have to be specific for ibook, some ive seen says, mac os x 10.for mini, some for mac book pro etc. just dont wanna buy one and it not work

ibook g4
    just dont wanna buy one and it not work

Have you got a good Mac tech in your area that does MB repairs that you could take it to and utilize their talents and resources. I'm sure they could help you out and help you find a fix and solution???

- Patrick
    ======

ibook g4
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by davemathews39 View Post
    Ive seen a couple on ebay, it doesnt have to be specifically for this ibook does it...
    What you want is a full retail install disk...NOT a gray-colored install disk. These gray disks shipped with a brand new computer...and are model specific (not useable by any model).

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

ibook g4
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Try Safe mode, Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support, if it is an intel Mac, (after 2006).
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

ibook g4
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Try Safe mode, Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support, if it is an intel Mac, (after 2006).

It seems they don't have the option and doesn't seem to be available:
    no recovery or safe mode, need help, please
    [post #1]

Seems a bit odd to me... as it should at least be an option with a cold boot.

- Patrick
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    It seems they don't have the option and doesn't seem to be available:
    [post #1]

Seems a bit odd to me... as it should at least be an option with a cold boot.

- Patrick
    ======
    I was thinking that too and it did, until it downgraded to 10.5.8 and now no safe, no recovery

ibook g4
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    I don't see how it could have downgraded, unless the original owner made a 10.5 recovery partition? The drive sounds like it died, you may need a new internal drive, and Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple, still only $19.99. As long as it is an intel Mac.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

ibook g4
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Let's set some things straight:

If it's an iBook, it's not an Intel machine and can't run anything higher than 10.5.8 (Leopard).

The OP says it had 10.6 on it (Snow Leopard) so it obviously is not an iBook. It's probably an early MacBook (he says 2009).

He's talking about a recovery partition which did not exist for Snow Leopard. First macOS with recovery partition was Lion (10.7.X).

So... OP: Which machine do you have? Click on the Apple menu "About this Mac" and copy the info here for us.

ibook g4
    So... OP: Which machine do you have? Click on the Apple menu "About this Mac" and copy the info here for us.

I thought they had already done that, assuming the post #1 was correct.

I just broke my first rule about assuming ... again!!! Dang...

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 09-09-2019 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Let's set some things straight:

If it's an iBook, it's not an Intel machine and can't run anything higher than 10.5.8 (Leopard).

The OP says it had 10.6 on it (Snow Leopard) so it obviously is not an iBook. It's probably an early MacBook (he says 2009).

He's talking about a recovery partition which did not exist for Snow Leopard. First macOS with recovery partition was Lion (10.7.X).

Click on the Apple menu "About this Mac" ????
    Sounds to me that the Mac is impossible to boot up - so there is no Apple menu
    But the model should be engraved at the bottom of the case if one turns the case over

Quote Originally Posted by davemathews39 View Post
    i have an old ibook g4 model ID PowerBook 6.5, Power PC G4 (1.2) Boot ROM Version 4.8.7, stuck in bootloop, I have no install CD , no recovery or safe mode, need help, please
    On 'every mac' I see PowerBooks G4 only going up to "PowerBook 5.9"
    So I don't even know which Mac we're talking about.

Thread Information