Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: ibook g4

ibook g4
    Quote Originally Posted by davemathews39 View Post
    1. option key shows install disk only, it has a little box in the bottom right corner with x in it, when booting from that logo comes up then goes to circle with slash through it.
    2. when booting holding down c, logo appears then after a few seconds it shifts to the right a little then the tiny lines appear as in first pic above, after about 30 sec. disc stops spinning, i let set for almost an hour and thats all it done, disc never starting spinning again, nothing as if it just froze
    3. do not have another mac, only windows pc
    4. i have a 30 gb disk usb disk scan, which i have downloaded a ton of different supposed install disc off the internet and burned using transmac, unetbootin, magic iso, etc. Ive tried downloading everything from mac os x 10.4 thru mac os x 10.6 and none will boot
    Looks like the disk and disk drive is OK, however a circle with a line or slash through it means that the selected startup disk contains a Mac operating system, but it's not a macOS that your Mac can use.
    I guess we already came to that conclusion a while back - I just wanted to be relatively sure that is true.

ibook g4
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    Looks like the disk and disk drive is OK, however a circle with a line or slash through it means that the selected startup disk contains a Mac operating system, but it's not a macOS that your Mac can use.
    I guess we already came to that conclusion a while back - I just wanted to be relatively sure that is true.
    That's pretty much what I suspected a while back when he reported the error trying to boot. Purchasing discs off eBay is always a crap shoot. Hopefully he can get a Tiger or Leopard DVD which should work. Problem though is that both are rather expensive when purchased off eBay.

They are proud of them

ibook g4
    Hopefully he can get a Tiger or Leopard DVD which should work. Problem though is that both are rather expensive when purchased off eBay.

Maybe try contacting a local commercial Mac tech and inquire with them if they could help out and help solve the problem.

PS: I have a felling that some of those later install disks came on a DVD and not all Mac models could read or use them for some reason I can't recall, and one had to get the Install set from Apple that were on CDs that the older models could use.

This old brain is starting to get a bit fuzzy and vague about those details and recalls. But it was quite a few years ago eh...???

- Patrick
    ======

lol, i know that o too well

Thread Information