Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New iMac, why is it running soooo sloooow?
    Hi, hoping I can get some advice, and hopefully some kind of solution to make my iMac run faster. I bought it a few months ago and figured a new iMac would be fast enough to run things like photoshop and Spotify. it seems to take a while to think about most things... iv screen shotted what I think might help people determine its particulars. but I'm not super techy, so if you require any other information I could try find it.
    Screenshot 2019-09-07 at 08.42.43.png
    Screenshot 2019-09-07 at 08.42.58.png
    Screenshot 2019-09-07 at 08.44.01.png
    Screenshot 2019-09-07 at 08.44.22.png

any help would be massively appreciated. hoping I haven't wasted £1200 on this "new" iMac.

thanks
    Mark

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 21.5" 3.1GHz Core i7 16GB RAM Catalina. iPad Air. iPhone 6S. iPod nano.
    I stand to be corrected but I expect that some of the problem is probably down to having the minimum RAM and a HDD rather than SSD or Fusion Drive.

No comfort to you but I have 16GB and a Fusion Drive in my 6 year old iMac and it still flies with things like Photoshop and streaming.

There are members who have a lot more experience than me who maybe able to point you at a solution.
    Peter - I used to be paranoid but now I just worry all the time

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    The png files are all broken at this end so a bit hard to make any suggestions.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

At first glance I would say it is your hard drive. But it depends on how many programs you are running at any given time and that all comes back to your hard drive and if it is running a swapfile (virtual memory) at the time and the amount of RAM that you have. And no you did not waste anything there are things you can do to minimize it but not totally over come it. Try getting an External SSD for your data files instead of using your internal HDD. You can find a Samsung T5 500 GB at a reasonable price now (at least in the States). Only running one of your programs at a time when you use a program that is resource heavy (watch your Multi Tasking). Limit how many programs that you start when you start your system. Small things all add up.
    Last edited by TJack; 09-07-2019 at 07:29 AM.

Your Mac's Specs
    Apologies, they are refusing to load on the iOS MF’s app for some reason but I see them now on iOS Firefox.
    Really this is a bit odd, despite the 8Gb RAM and HDD you have plenty of storage and a fairly new device although it is a 2017 model and just the i5 Intel Core processor I cannot imagine why you could not run Spotify which is primarily a web based application.
    One of our members has written an excellent article on reasons why your Mac might run slow and I’d suggest reading this article to see if anything there solves your problem.
    Macintosh OS X Slowdown Solutions

Your Mac's Specs
    I might add that having a 1Tb USB HHD connected will not help even though it's empty it's something else for the CPU to manage. Try without it for a while.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by m4rk3y View Post
    Hi, hoping I can get some advice, and hopefully some kind of solution to make my iMac run faster. I bought it a few months ago and figured a new iMac would be fast enough to run things like photoshop and Spotify.
    Since this is a 2017 model iMac...can you please verify if this is actually a "brand new iMac"...or a previously owned iMac that you purchased recently? This makes a big difference in how we approach the question.

Thanks,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Has anyone ever used Novabench?
    A supposed 'free' benchmark tool for the Mac.

If that works reasonably well, it would give an idea if the "slooowness" is really the Mac itself or not
    I mostly use a 2012 MacMini - it has only a 2.5 GHz processor, also has a spinner drive, 500GB and a slow llaptop drive at that,but the Mini zips along quite fast.
    Fast enough that occasionally I even miss the screen changing because I blinked.
    RAM was upgraded to 16Gigs, but when I check I almost never use more than 8.

But then again, I don't use Photoshop and I don't use Spotify, but I do have a very solid FTTH internet connection.

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Since this is a 2017 model iMac...can you please verify if this is actually a "brand new iMac"...or a previously owned iMac that you purchased recently? This makes a big difference in how we approach the question.

Thanks,

- Nick
    it was brand new from a large retailer (curry's PC world).

it does run Spotify, but pretty much every application stalls on opening, photoshop seems to be the worst. so Manny spinny beachballs.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    The slowness is very likely due to the slow hard drive that Apple uses in this model. The 27" models use a 7200 RPM hard drive whereas the 21.5" models use a 5400 RPM hard drive. Graphic memory and system memory should be sufficient even though the system memory is basic.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Here's something that might help narrow down the problem a bit:
    1. Reboot your Mac and login as usual but do not launch and programs yet.
    2. Launch Activity Monitor (in Applications/Utilities) and make sure the CPU tab is selected.
    3. Now launch programs and use them as you normally would. It's a good idea to shrink the windows a bit so you can still see the Activity Monitor window.
    4. As the slowdowns start to occur look at the Activity Monitor window checking for things with high cpu usage. It's not too unusual for a program to have high usage for a moment or two but that shouldn't last long. Make note of the things using a lot of processing time. Post back with that information.

Also let us know which programs are open simultaneously.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    it was brand new from a large retailer (curry's PC world).
    Thanks for the extra info. Very unusual that a brand new computer would be slow like this.

Two more question's. The 3rd image from post #1 above displays the storage devices your iMac is using (internal & external).

1. Is it possible some of the apps you're experiencing slowness with are installed & running from the external drive?
    2. Is the external drive attached to you iMac all the time?

In either case I would recommend disconnecting any external devices...and restarting the computer...then try things again.

- Nick

p.s. Be aware that if external devices are routinely connected & disconnected without being properly removed digitally first...then can cause havoc eventually.
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    Coz it is a bottom of the linbe macder to compete with 'cheapies' and comes fitted with a slow as molasses 5400rpm notebook style hard drive. A 27" model with which you could increase memory via a hatch on the rear, and say a 500GB Blade Drive would have been a far better investment.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Your Mac's Specs
    Did you read the slow macOS solutions article link I sent you?
    Your about this Mac screen shows the external drive is empty but remember spotlight still has to index it so if you’re not using it at the moment try disconnecting it. Checking the activity monitor is a good idea, I really think something is slowing the unit down.
    You can try booting it in Safe mode and see if the problem persists, that will help rule out software issues and clean out stuff like system and font caches. Turn on the iMac or reboot and hold the Shift key down until the login window appears.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

...any help would be massively appreciated. hoping I haven't wasted £1200 on this "new" iMac.
    Rod was nice enough to mention my Web site:

Macintosh Slowdown Solutions
    Macintosh OS X Slowdown Solutions

If it's too technical for you, I'd be happy to help you with this, if you want me to.

For the record...I'm afraid that I don't agree with much of the advice you've received in this thread. You have more than enough RAM installed, and though your hard drive isn't a speed demon, assuming that it isn't failing it should be plenty fast such that you shouldn't be seeing the slowdowns that you are seeing.

First step: If you have any fully interactive anti-virus software installed, especially if it is Sophos, download the company's uninstaller or uninstall instructions, fully uninstall it, restart your Mac...it's almost a sure thing that will fix everything.

Not it? Do this.

Download:

DriveDX - free demo
    DriveDx - the most advanced drive health diagnostics and monitoring utility

Run it. Is your hard drive healthy or failing? If it's failing, that's your problem. You need to back it up and then replace it.

Hard drive healthy? Then...
    Download:

EtreCheck (free)
    EtreCheck

Run it. It might solve your problem on it's own. If it doesn't, post its report here and I can give you further assistance.
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance • http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Thread Information