Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    thanks for all the replies.

before I try anything, would you say that the machine should be able to run photoshop without any problems?
    it is the latest version of photoshop from creative cloud.

I also wonder if the machine would run better with the previous OS?

thanks
    Mark

New iMac, why is it running soooo sloooow?
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    You’re welcome Randy, no point in reinventing the wheel. I am of the same mind as you, there is nothing wrong with the configuration. Photoshop should not be too much to handle. On its own anyway.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by m4rk3y View Post
    thanks for all the replies.

before I try anything, would you say that the machine should be able to run photoshop without any problems?

It should be able to run Photoshop just fine. Besides, you mentioned problems with opening other applications too, so it's logically not a Photoshop problem.

A different version of the Mac OS will make no difference whatsoever (assuming that everything is okay with your current installation; but I highly doubt that this is an OS-related problem).

NO MAC made in the last 10 years, of any configuration, should be acting the way yours is unless there is something wrong with it. You need to troubleshoot and track down that problem and fix it.

The solution will likely be very simple. You just have to meet me halfway and do the things that I suggested, in the order that I suggested them.

Trust me, I've dealt with this problem more times than I can count, and I've never yet been unable to figure out the problem and suggest a workable fix. That's why I created an entire Web site to deal with this sort of problem.
    Last edited by Randy B. Singer; 09-08-2019 at 07:37 AM.
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance • http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6

If so far nothing obvious can be found to explain the slowness...I would recommend looking more closely into to what moderator Slydude mentioned in post #11 of this thread. If this iMac has a "rogue" application or activity running...best to launch the Activity Monitor utility app...click on the "CPU" tab...and look thru the list to see if something is using up an unexpected amount of CPU resources.

If nothing can be found there...then things may come down to the fact that this is an entry level 2017 iMac...with a slower "spinner" hard drive. Looking at the CPU benchmarks for this 2017 iMac...the CPU numbers aren't tremendously better than my 2011 MacBook Pro:

- 2017 21" iMac = 12356
    - 2011 17" MacBook Pro = close to 10,000

The last thing I would mention is...how many apps or activities are going on simultaneously on this iMac? If too much is going on at the same time...this could be over-taxing the iMac's CPU, GPU, and RAM.

HTH,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    I'm sure this is covered on Randy's page too but I am in favour of checking CPU use with Activity Monitor. If something or somethings are using up large amounts of the CPU resources they can be forced to quit from the AM interface which is an easy way to eliminate possibilities.
    The other thing high on my list is "Login Items". Many new apps like to install helper tools or run in the background all the time. You can safely remove pretty much all of these items as they start up when you launch the app anyway.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Hi, hoping I can get some advice, and hopefully some kind of solution to make my iMac run faster. I bought it a few months ago and figured a new iMac would be fast enough to run things like photoshop and Spotify. it seems to take a while to think about most things... iv screen shotted what I think might help people determine its particulars. but I'm not super techy, so if you require any other information I could try find it.

any help would be massively appreciated. hoping I haven't wasted £1200 on this "new" iMac.
    If you system is clean from any malware etc.. I suggest to install more RAM. Before you do that try to backup and then format, reinstall all. If still slow only with Photoshop, I'm pretty sure installing more RAM will help. Also booting from a 500GB SSD, which non expensive today, will fly even with photoshop since I did it with one of my customer.
    Last edited by pigoo3; 09-12-2019 at 02:23 PM. Reason: removed photos

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    One of the difficulties witrh the 21`.5" model is Apple considers them to be non-user upgradeable and memory comes pre-installed with only 8 or 16GB options. To increase memory requires a full tear down of the iMac to access memory. The 27"model still com es with the rear hatch and is easy accessible.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Quote Originally Posted by RamiK View Post
    If you system is clean from any malware etc..
    Though worth checking, Malware is almost never the cause of a recent slowdown on a Macintosh.

I suggest to install more RAM.
    Unless a user has an abnormally small amount of RAM installed in their Macintosh (e.g. they have one of the older Macs that came with only 2GB of RAM), adding more RAM is never the answer when a Mac user experiences a recent slowdown.

Before you do that try to backup and then format, reinstall all.
    That is excellent advice for a Windows user. Mac users should almost never need to do a full erase and re-install of all of their software. That is not a Macintosh solution.

If still slow only with Photoshop,
    The original poster stated that he was having problems with multiple applications.

Also booting from a 500GB SSD, which non expensive today, will fly even with photoshop since I did it with one of my customer.
    Yes, switching from a rotating disk hard drive will speed up a Mac, especially loading apps. However, if any particular Mac used to run fine, but now has become slow, unless the hard drive is failing, adding an SSD is not a solution to a recent slowdown.
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance • http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Thread Information