Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

POP Up Ad Virus in Safari

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 21.5" (Mid 2010) - 1 TB HD - 8GB Ram
    Apparently, I have managed to get a pop up ad virus in Safari. Almost every time I click on a legitimate link in one window or go to a new web site, a new window opens either with some ad, a warning that Flash player is corrupt or needs updating, or "Your system is corrupted with 3 viruses". Very annoying.

I am using a mid-2010 iMac running the latest OS allowed - version 10.13.6. No jokes, please. I'm 73 and my computer needs are minimal. It is serving me just fine for now, except for this issue.

Here's what I've tried so far:
    1. Checked Safari Preferences/Security to make sure "block pop up windows" is selected
    2. Ran Disk Utility
    3. Ran Onyx
    4. Reinstalled the OS

My question: Is there any way to get rid of this virus without having to spend money to do so? Any other suggestions?

If not, what is a reasonably priced good piece of software that you recommend?

Your help is most appreciated. TIA

Ralph

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    It's not a virus.

You will need to get a content blocker for all browsers you are using, Ghostery, AdGuard AdBlocker, or uBlock Origin will all block "most" of those popups.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Download "Malwarebytes" and scan your computer. I had the same issue and the problem was that adware was downloaded onto my computer. Malwarebytes should be able to take care of the issue entirely.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    Three rules.

1. Ignore
    2. Ignore
    3. Ignore.

Do as ferrar suggests and block nthese scams.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Hi Ralph and welcome to our Forums.

First off - stop worrying

We need two approaches here. Get rid of this annoyance. Stop it happening again.

Getting rid of it:

1. Disconnect all WiFi and/or Internet connection to your Mac. No Ethernet cable, no WiFi.

2. Close down all open apps, particularly Safari

3. Reboot the Mac

4. When fully and completely rebooted, hold down, and keep holding down the Shift Key whilst opening Safari

5. With Safari now open, Click on the Develop icon on the top menu bar. From the drop down menu, choose "Empty Caches".

6.Quit Safari

7. Reconnect WiFi or Ethernet to iMac.

8. Open Safari whilst holding down the Shift Key. The nuisance should be gone.

As for prevention, I use Adguard. This is a pay-for app but very good at blocking tracking and spurious notifications such as you got.

You might also like to down load the Free versions of Malwarebytes or DetectX Swift app. These will scan your iMac on demand to seek out and remove any malware.

That should do for the moment.

Ian
    Ian

Folks have been giving you advice as if the pop-ups are coming from going to particular Web sites. While that is the most common source of pop-ups, it seems likely to me that isn't what you are experiencing. I think that you got a bit of adware (which is not at all a "virus," but which is definitely very annoying) in the form of a Safari extension pushed onto your machine when you visited a particular Web site. If nothing above has helped, this is what I suggest that you try:

In Safari,
    Safari menu --> Preferences --> Advanced tab --> check Show Develop Menu In Menubar

In Safari,
    Safari menu --> Preferences --> Extensions tab --> delete all extensions you haven't put there yourself intentionally (if none, delete all and leave blank)

In Safari,
    Develop Menu --> Empty Caches

Quit Safari.

Apple menu --> System Preferences --> Network --> Advanced --> DNS tab
    Remove all DNS servers (on the left) that your ISP didn't tell you to put there, leaving only those your ISP recommended.
    If your ISP didn't give you guidance on this, remove all of the DNS servers there and use only OpenDNS:

Just for the sake of being complete, I recommend that you download and run:

DetectX Swift
    DetectX – sqwarq | security for your mac

Relaunch Safari, and see if things are better.
    Last edited by Randy B. Singer; 09-05-2019 at 08:46 AM.
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 21.5" (Mid 2010) - 1 TB HD - 8GB Ram
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcanis View Post
    Download "Malwarebytes" and scan your computer. I had the same issue and the problem was that adware was downloaded onto my computer. Malwarebytes should be able to take care of the issue entirely.
    I just tried Malwarebytes and, crossing my fingers, it seems to have gotten rid of the problem. Let's hope it remains that way. Thank you, Arcanis!

To all others, thank you for your suggestions. They are greatly appreciated. I will keep this thread in mind should my issue returns.

Thread Information