Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Flash Drive does not show in Finder Sidebar
    Quote Originally Posted by usagora View Post
    But we didn't have to explain it . . . OP figured it out on his own

Sort of... and to their credit for discovering ...
    I must have INADVERTENTLY clicked on "Hide".
    It should have been more obvious and not disappear like a Cheshire cat unless being prodded accidentally or randomly by the mouse to wake it up and make it visible.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    It should have been more obvious and not disappear like a Cheshire cat unless being prodded accidentally or randomly by the mouse to wake it up and make it visible.
    That's your opinion, and you are entitled to it. I, on the other hand, don't want the sidebar cluttered with toggles that I use ONCE and then never change again, which is how it works. As the OP said, he changed it and either didn't realize or forgot he had done so. So the toggle showed up as he rolled the mouse over it, then disappeared again when not needed. Sweet!
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    They make some great wine in Canada Patrick. You should indulge a bit more; that might remove some of that "Apple grumpiness" that you seem to be plagued with.

The crashes I have seen recently are more related to not waking up after it goes to sleep. Apple issued a fix for it recently. I had seen it once or twice, had to hard reboot to get it back. Is that a crash? I don't know, but it's got the same effect.

Maybe calling it a FREEZE might be more appropriate, but regardless, it seems the fix is the same to get any sort of recovery.

A good question nevertheless.

- Patrick
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    That's your opinion, and you are entitled to it. I, on the other hand, don't want the sidebar cluttered with toggles that I use ONCE and then never change again, which is how it works. As the OP said, he changed it and either didn't realize or forgot he had done so. So the toggle showed up as he rolled the mouse over it, then disappeared again when not needed. Sweet!
    However....
    If you are concerned about clutter, just below that disappearing Show/Hide toggle, I have a total of 14 (!!!) eject symbols, one for each external volume I have connected to the Mini; if anything, that is a lot more clutter than showing either a single "show" or "hide".
    Not terribly consistent.

I suppose we can discuss the ins and outs of the Mac's UI all day.
    In general, I find the macOS has been slowly going 'downhill' since Lion - for me SnowLeopard was the last really solid macOS release.

I'm actually looking for the next "really solid"macOS to move all the Macs in the family to - thinking that might be High Sierra, but the jury is still out on that.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    They make some great wine in Canada Patrick. You should indulge a bit more; that might remove some of that "Apple grumpiness" that you seem to be plagued with.

Not really "Apple grumpiness" Charlie, but maybe some room for some "Apple OS improvements" preaching, especially as I think of many users such as my cousin and some others that I have helped who barely manage to operate their Macs and wonder why some features are not a lot more obvious after being shown how to fix or change things.

PS: My next batch of wine being done at a local wine-brew is using Merlot grapes from California. The last batch came from Australian grapes. And yes, Canada does produce some nice wines, but not much surplus juice for us wine u-brewers.

And yes, I have my official "wineing" button:

il_794xN.1156552752_5m8v.jpg

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post

If you look at the side bar when you open any folder - at the very top there is an entry "Devices" and when you move the mouse to the right of that, the word "Hide" and "Show" are revealed.
    I looked; didn't find that in any Finder window I opened. Preferences doesn't seem to have a box unchecked for Devices either.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Quote Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
    I looked; didn't find that in any Finder window I opened. Preferences doesn't seem to have a box unchecked for Devices either.
    Finder > Preferences > Sidebar; then check away to your heart's content. Everything you want/don't want to appear in Finder's Sidebar

Ian
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    Finder > Preferences > Sidebar; then check away to your heart's content. Everything you want/don't want to appear in Finder's Sidebar

Ian

Unless one has some volumes that have been unmounted etc.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Quote Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
    My point was that I cannot get my Mac to show me a Devices heading in the Sidebar as mentioned in the earlier post. I know where to locate Finder Preferences, as the above post indicates. I do get the mouse-over behavior described for the other headings.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    toMACsh, I think it's called "Locations" and not Devices. There is a Locations section in Finder/Preferences/Sidebar. (At least there is in Mojave, which is what I am running.)
    Jake

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Jake is absolutely correct. Up to, and including, macOS High Sierra, it was headed "Devices". In macOS Mojave, it is headed locations - as in this screenshot:

S1.jpg

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    I Can tell you stories of Windows and issues that go back to Windows 1.0 and forward. The interface on 1.0-3.0 was pathetic and so bad I hated it with a passion. I realise Mac OS 1.0 on the first Mac 128 was lacking in a few things but compared to early Windows it was to me wonderful.

The only issue with Mac system and then Pre OSX Mac OS was shared Memory so when one app crashed it took the whole thing down. Windows up to NT was the same way and crashed daily. I was starting to fix computers back then and got calls with people in the middle of an important project crying, my Print Spooler keeps crashing and I can not print and need this done now.

A kind friend gave me my first Mac which was a Mac Plus as I was too poor at the time to buy one and I loved it compared to Windows. The first windows that did not crash all the time and worked well was Windows 2000 and later XP but they (especially XP) had issues also. When 10.2 Jaguar came out I tried it, fell in love with the OS and interface and left Windows behind except for repairing it.

And for some who do not know me well, I am a Windows Tester and Insider. I do it to help out and seen some of the worst bugs that I have ever seen in an OS, Beta or not.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac
    toMACsh,

"I looked; didn't find that in any Finder window I opened. Preferences doesn't seem to have a box unchecked for Devices either"

I am using OS Sierra, and, as others have explained, that may be why you aren't seeing it.
    But I may not have been clear.
    The window I am talking about with the "show" and "hide" options is not at Finder>Preferences>Sidebar or any other Finder>Preferences window.
    Try this: With "Finder File Edit View Go ..." at the top of your Desktop screen, click on GO, then Documents. There, you should see in the sidebar, "Favorites" and below that "Devices".
    To the right of the word "Devices," move your mouse slowly back and forth. Doing so should cause "show' or "hide" to appear (depending on which is now chosen).
    I hope this helps.

devicesi.png
    Last edited by stefanmaine; 09-02-2019 at 02:36 PM.

@dtravis7
    I am a Windows Tester and Insider. I do it to help out and seen some of the worst bugs that I have ever seen in an OS, Beta or not.

Can I assume that being a Windows Tester and Insider is pretty well the same thing as being an Apple OS BETA Tester, other than the OS involved???

And are you an Apple OS BETA Tester as well???

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 09-02-2019 at 02:56 PM.

Thread Information