Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trying to get to Recovery but end up in Internet Recovery
    I forgot the log in password on one of my Macs and I'm trying to get to recovery to reset it but I keep ending up in "Internet Recovery" with the globe.

Mac is a 2018 MacBookAir running ElCapitan.
    I tried this earlier on an older MacBookPro running the same ElCapitan software and it worked fine
    On that I held down Command & R when starting up -eventually ended up in terminal
    Typed the resetpassword command, reset the password - then tested the change - worked perfectly

Then tried the same thing with the same software on the new MacBookAir
    I'm careful to just hold down the command & R key when starting, but the MacBookAir starts up in Internet Recovery
    (Internet Recovery is option-command-R)

When I get to the end of Internet recovery, all I get is a triangle with a big exclamation mark.

Any suggestion how else to get into recovery mode to reset the password?
    I assume just logging into terminal directly doesn't work - yes, just tried that, does not work.
    Last edited by krs; 08-26-2019 at 03:09 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    That model came with 10.14.1 Mojave, so ElCapitan should not run on it. How did you get ElCap installed on it? That may be the problem, as ElCap is not supported on the 2018 MBA.

Now, if it has Mojave on it, to get to the Recovery partition here is Apple's support data: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support
    Jake

Well, I tried it with WiFi off - made no difference
    Then I connected an external keyboard and held down the command_R keys on that - no difference

The Mac keeps starting in internet recovery mode.
    Searching on the net I see other people with the same problem but no solution.
    Most of the people there want to reinstall the OS - my OS is fine, all I want to do id reset the password.

I think in the end I may have to make an up-to-date backup, erase the drive completely, reinstall the OS using a USB installer I have and then copy all the data back.

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    That model came with 10.14.1 Mojave, so ElCapitan should not run on it. How did you get ElCap installed on it? That may be the problem, as ElCap is not supported on the 2018 MBA.

Now, if it has Mojave on it, to get to the Recovery partition here is Apple's support data: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support
    It's actually a 2017 MBa - sorry, my mistake
    But you're right, even the 2017 came with 10.12 not 10.11
    However, I found in practice that occasionally a Mac will run properly on one release older than it was shipped with.
    I had a MacBookpro running 10.6.8 for many years with no problems even though it actually shipped with 10.7

In this case, I just used the 10.11 installer for the 2017 MBa, no patching or otherwise modifying anything.
    Reason I installed ElCapitan was because the user is familiar with it - when we transitioned from 10.6 to 10.11 a few years ago, there were a lot of UI issues.
    Didn't want to go through that again so soon.
    And the 2015, 2016 and 2017 MBa's were minor updates, 2016 officially works with El Capitan, so I took a chance to try that with the 2017 as well.

I see other people on line with the same problem - they can't get into recovery mod, only into Internet Recovery and so far I have seen no explanation/resolution why.

This is getting a bit more confusing

I checked in terminal using diskutil list
    what is installed on the Mac
    I get three partitions
    0: GUID partiton scheme
    1: EFI EFI
    2: Apple HFS HD

Hmmm....I expected to see something like "boot recovery"
    So it seems there is no recovery partition which would explain why it doesn't come up with command-R
    Maybe an issue because I installed ElCapitan on the 2017 MBa

But then I checked a 2012 MB mini which is running the same OS, ElCapitan
    It shows the same three partitions using terminal.
    So the issue doesn't seem to relate to running ElCapitan on a 2017 MBa

BTW - EFI EFI is 209.7 MB
    Don't know what that is, but it doesn'tseem big enough as the recovery partition.

Other than the option to reinstall everything, anything else I can try

Just for the record here is another possible way to reset the password:

If you know the password to another account for that Mac you can use this account to reset your password. Follow these steps to reset your Mac password from another account:

Click on the Apple logo in the top left and choose Log Out.
    Select the account you do know the password to.
    Enter the password for that account.
    Open System Preferences > Users & Groups.
    Click the lock icon in the bottom left of the window.
    Enter the password again.
    Select the account you've forgotten the password for in the sidebar.
    Click Reset Password.
    Fill in the New password, Verify and Password hint fields.
    Click Change Password.

You have now changed the password for that original account, and you can log into that account using the new password.

Can anyone confirm that this will work to reset the log-in password:
    (It's a long exercise so I don't want to do this without some assurance of success)

I should note that I can access the MBa where I want to reset the password because I have never logged out.
    But in future I want to be able to log out so nobody else can access (at least not easily access) that Mac

So:
    1. Run CCC or SD to make a clone on an external drive using USB 3.0 (that takes about 4 hrs
    2. Use Disk Utility to completely erase the internal 500GB SSD of the MBa
    3. Use an install USB flash drive to install the MacOS (Plan is to install ElCapitan again, see note)
    4. When prompted while booting up on the new MacOS install, copy all the data back from the external backup.

That, in the end, should give me what I have now but with no system password set.

Note: I'm debating if I should install High Sierra instead of ElCapitan, but now I have come across conflicting information if MS Office 2011 will run on HS or not.
    A MacWorld article says MS Office 2011 will not run on HS but the Roaring Apps compatibility table shows that MS Office 2011 is fully compatible with up to Mojave.
    I realize I'm going to have to update MS Office eventually, right now is just not the time to do that.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    @krs

I can only really attempt to answer one small part of your post: MS Office 2011 will run on macOS High Sierra and on macOS Mojave; but you will need to re-input your Licence details**. It is, of course, no longer officially supported and apparently lacks one or two additional features associated with the 2019 version and the 365 Subscription version.

**Some people have advised a full uninstall of of Office 2011 before installing it on a new Mac or new OS. I have never found this to be necessary.

My 2011 started on Sierra, migrated to HS, then to Mojave without issue. In my case I chose to keep it on HS and when I got my new iMac very recently (shipped with Mojave), I elected to go with the 365 Subscription version. So, I now have 2 iMacs - one on HS with Office 2011 and the new one with 365.

Ian
    Ian

Thanks for the information, Ian

Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    Can anyone confirm that this will work to reset the log-in password:
    (It's a long exercise so I don't want to do this without some assurance of success)

So:
    1. Run CCC or SD to make a clone on an external drive using USB 3.0 (that takes about 4 hrs
    2. Use Disk Utility to completely erase the internal 500GB SSD of the MBa
    3. Use an install USB flash drive to install the MacOS (Plan is to install ElCapitan again, see note)
    4. When prompted while booting up on the new MacOS install, copy all the data back from the external backup.

That, in the end, should give me what I have now but with no system password set.
    Well, turns out I can't even do step 1
    Both CCC and SD demand the password before they do anything.

So now, I'm just copying the files and folders from the HD directly to an external so that not everything is lost.
    Then I'm going to try to reset the password using a different account on that Mac because years ago I had set up a separate "test" account.
    Hopefully the password on it was not changed.

Still don't understand why I cannot get into recovery mode.
    I tried that on my 2012 Mini running ElCapitan and it goes into Internet recovery as well and eventually ends up with an error message.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Did you have the drive "Encrypted"? To require a password to access, or is it an EFI Firmware password?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Thanks for the comments...

No - drive is not encrypted.
    I also don't think there is a firmware password - I don't even know how to set that, much less the user of that Mac in my family.

I spent a good portion of today on this issue.
    I could copy the user folder to an external drive, but not the system or application folders - they both required a password as well.
    I had a "tast" account on that Mac and was going to use that to reset the password on the main user account. I actually tested that approach on a MacBookpro I had and that worked fine.
    Trouble is that for the MBair, which I'm working on, the password for the "test" account was changed as well, so I could not even log into it.

Then I tried to boot into recovery mode again (even though I had tried that twice already and ended up in Internet Recovery each time) ... but when one is a bit desperate one tries illogical things..... anyway - turns out the globe did not pop up this time - I actually ended up in some recovery mode and after running through the steps, ie terminal and Apple ID & password, I finally did manage to reset the admin password that way.

But now of course the keychain password no longer works.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    But now of course the keychain password no longer works.
    Yes. I’m afraid that resetting the Admin Password does mean losing the old one as it was liked to the old Admin PW.

A new one will now be created.

Life is hard at times. Sorry

Ian
    Ian

What I find annoying is that one can't list the keychain user names/passwords from one of the back-ups.

I can boot into a backup (before resetting the admin password), then get into keychain and then get to the user name/password, but only one user name/password at a time - I would like to get a list of the old keychain user name/passwords but that doesn't seem possible.
    I see on the net that other users were looking for that as well, some tried to write a script to generate such a list, but so far none of the scripts trying to do that actually works.
    The small light at the end of the tunnel is that the user of that Mac didn't use Safari as their web browser - they mostly used FireFox so those user name/passwords are stored in FireFox, not keychain.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    If that were possible, anybody would be able to get any other persons passwords, wouldn't they? I think that's why account ID's matter?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Thread Information