Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Thread: back up

back up
    have imac late 2015 w / 2 external ssds and one tb hd (used for time machine ) drive 1 is boot drive to which i have added new apps. and the second ssd is a clone of the boot drive.....have added apps. to boot but dont know how to update clone drive with new applications ........
    thanks
    dennis

back up
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    What clone app are you using?
    How often does the clone backup the boot drive? Most clone apps will give the option to copy only the new/updated files folders to the destination cloned drive.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

back up
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    @Dennis, I'm a little confused by your post, but I think you have said that you have an iMac that may or may not have an internal drive, and which has two external SSDs as well as a terabyte hard drive (presumably a spinner drive) that you use for TM. You have at some time in the past cloned one SSD to the other but now have made changes to the one and want to know how to get those changes to the other. Assuming that is correct, why not use whatever you used to clone it in the first place to do it again?

And why is there no drive inside the iMac (assuming I understood that correctly)?
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    @Dennis, I'm a little confused by your post, but I think you have said that you have an iMac that may or may not have an internal drive, and which has two external SSDs as well as a terabyte hard drive (presumably a spinner drive) that you use for TM. You have at some time in the past cloned one SSD to the other but now have made changes to the one and want to know how to get those changes to the other. Assuming that is correct, why not use whatever you used to clone it in the first place to do it again?

And why is there no drive inside the iMac (assuming I understood that correctly)?
    the OBVIOUS solution, never occured to me !!!!! thanks.......used ccc so ill do it again
    To answer your question there is a drive in the imac w/ sierra for booting if something goes wrong with hardware, its just too slow, india purchased and apple didnt see fit to ship ssd imacs to this market so i went with externals........

back up
    Your Mac's Specs
    OK, that clarifies it. You can set CCC to do that clone on a schedule. If there is nothing to clone, it finishes in seconds. If it has some work to do, it will work until done. SO if you want to keep the two in parallel, set it up for the automatic clone. I have mine set for midnight (actually 12:15am just to get away from exactly midnight). I leave the Mac on all the time and CCC does its thing automagically.
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    What clone app are you using?
    How often does the clone backup the boot drive? Most clone apps will give the option to copy only the new/updated files folders to the destination cloned drive.
    Thanks for the reply ...dont have ccc on timed back up, the internet here is never dependable so all apps that can be put on a timer are used as needed ccc, time machine etc to avoid any possible glitches that sudden drop offs may initiate

back up
    Your Mac's Specs
    ??? CCC does not require or use the Internet. If the backup drives are attached to the Mac, CCC will run the backups perfectly.
    Jake

Jake thanks for the heads up......keeps the operating system as trim as possible......backup on session end

Thread Information