Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Multiple OS on same iMac
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac-21.5"(2017):OS Mojave’s:10.14.6 IOS12.4 iPhone 8+ iPadpro v2
    Multiple OS on same iMac
    As time has passed, my use of my old Office for Mac 2011 has dwindled to only 1 real use in the late summer (for my daughter, the teacher) to create lists and name labels using the mail merge function of Word & Excel. As we all know, Mojave is the last MacOS that allows 32 bit apps to be used, in which my Office falls. I do have an older Macbook that runs High Sierra, but its age worries me. So--I am thinking of partitioning my 1 TB HDD on my iMac and installing a spare copy of Mojave there so that I can update my regular OS when the time comes this fall, then be able to run my MacOffice that one time of the year. I've got @ 500 GB available so I am thinking 150 GB (as the base size of MacBook air is 128). All my docs saved to icloud. Any problems I can look forward to ??

Multiple OS on same iMac
    Can you not do this work with Pages or OpenOffice or any other word processor? Does it have to Word? While there might be a little bit of a learning curve or transition, that seems better than trying to come up with ways of running an older OS for an older app.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Multiple OS on same iMac
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    That seems a lot of trouble for a once-a-year use. You could get a small external drive to boot from for that one use. Although booting from an external drive is slow, if you get a small SSD for that purpose it may be acceptable for that one use. A 250GB external SSD is available at OWC for about $90. OWC Envoy Pro EX - External Portable SSD Drive

Or, you could subscribe to the Office365 smallest subscription for Office at $7/month, or $70/year. Compare All Microsoft Office Products | Microsoft Office
    Jake

Multiple OS on same iMac
    Your Mac's Specs
    Jake,
    It all comes down to cost. 2 Yrs @ $70 would buy me a new MacOffice. I did install on USB disk, but slow is being generous. I do have a 128GB stick, but it's USB2, but it would not install there. Even a USB C stick would be part way to buying an updated Office for Mac. Just trying to save $ for such little use

Multiple OS on same iMac
    Your Mac's Specs
    Raz0rEdge,
    It's the mail merge function I need. Pages/Numbers do not provide me with what i need. Hadn't thought about Open Office

Multiple OS on same iMac
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    You've gotten some alternate suggestions to consider...but in regards to the thread title "Multiple OS on same iMac"...you can absolutely do this no problem...and exactly as you mentioned.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Multiple OS on same iMac
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    Jake,
    It all comes down to cost. 2 Yrs @ $70 would buy me a new MacOffice. I did install on USB disk, but slow is being generous. I do have a 128GB stick, but it's USB2, but it would not install there. Even a USB C stick would be part way to buying an updated Office for Mac. Just trying to save $ for such little use
    I don't believe they were referring to USB sticks, more like a USB Disk drive like this, https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Porta...dp/B07JHCLFGN?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Multiple OS on same iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    I don't believe they were referring to USB sticks, more like a USB Disk drive like this, https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Porta...dp/B07JHCLFGN?

+1!!!

Coming in a bit late here, but I was just about to mention the same thing and to reinforce the point.

Both may be "SS" flash drives, but quite a difference as to how each works and utilized, especially as far as speed is concerned.

- Patrick
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    That USB Disk drive is interesting - seems USB flash drives and traditional SSD's are starting to converge.

But for the OP, cost is a significant factor, so I wonder if something along these lines would not work
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B007JPVYFO/...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Not as fast and less capacity, but a lot less expensive.
    However, a MacOS & MS Office should take less than 10 GB, so there is lots of space for data.

Multiple OS on same iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    As we all know, Mojave is the last MacOS that allows 32 bit apps to be used, in which my Office falls.
    Microsoft Office 20ll is obsolete and all support for it from Microsoft ended two years ago.

However, Microsoft Office 2016 has a free update to 64-bit support.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...64-bit-upgrade

Direct download:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=525133

So, if what you want is Microsoft Office, and only Microsoft Office, an economical way to go would be to purchase the now outdated Office 2016 (Office 2019 is current) at the discounted prices being offered for leftover copies, and apply the updater.
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance • http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Quote Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post
    Microsoft Office 20ll is obsolete and all support for it from Microsoft ended two years ago.

However, Microsoft Office 2016 has a free update to 64-bit support.

So, if what you want is Microsoft Office, and only Microsoft Office, an economical way to go would be to purchase the now outdated Office 2016 (Office 2019 is current) at the discounted prices being offered for leftover copies, and apply the updater.
    Great Idea!

But how do I know I get a legitimate copy of MS Office?
    When I google for MS Office 2016 for the Mac, I get prices all over the map on the very first page - even offers for MS Office 2019 cheaper than 2016 like the very first one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Multiple OS on same iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post

But how do I know I get a legitimate copy of MS Office?
    If the price seems too good to be true, it is. It's, at minimum, a grey market version of Office.

The way to go would be to call around and see who locally has a boxed version of Office 2016 they are selling new. Failing that, look for a boxed version being sold as a leftover online. As long as it is new in the box, it's likely legit.
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance • http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Multiple OS on same iMac
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    If the price seems too good to be true, it is. It's, at minimum, a grey market version of Office.
    You see those on eBay and elsewhere. Supposedly they're legitimate but many times they will fail to activate and even if they do, they will fail to update because of counterfeit serial numbers. Even a genuine copy of Office 2013 is still expensive and that version has long been superseded by 2016 and now 2019.

I personally bit the bullet and purchased a copy of Office from the Mac App Store. I'm not in favor of the subscription process but I do need to keep current because of compatibility. If it were not for that, I would use Pages exclusively.

Multiple OS on same iMac
    I personally bit the bullet and purchased a copy of Office from the Mac App Store. I'm not in favor of the subscription process but I do need to keep current because of compatibility.

I don't need it and won't be bothering but I'm a bit confused when I look at the App Store.

They don't even seem to list anything for Microsoft Office, and only separate downloads for word excel Etc. And even then there seem to be restrictions.

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 12.30.00 PM.png

And most of the user comments are pretty bad:

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 12.30.44 PM.png

Bottom line, it doesn't look like I could even buy a copy of MS Office from the Mac App Store if I wanted to. Maybe it's just a Canada App Store thing. But it sure seems confusing for those who do need a legit copy.

Maybe their App Store shows things a bit differently with different options, but I don't know. All I know is I would have to look elsewhere, especially after reading the user comments.

- Patrick
    ======

Multiple OS on same iMac
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    They don't even seem to list anything for Microsoft Office, and only separate downloads for word excel Etc. And even then there seem to be restrictions.
    Not sure which version of the Mac App Store you have, but mine clearly shows Microsoft Office in addition to the Apps that are included such as Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook.

Thread Information