Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Read AND Write access to 'Shared' folder for Standard Account type
    Hi Guys,

I do most of my day to day OSX activities in the Standard account in line with the security recommendations from Apple themselves, however I'm finding it increasingly frustrating to only have WRITE access to the Shared folder on the home HDD when logged in from the Admin account.

In Finder the 'Get Info' menu reveals

'System' Read/Write
    'wheel' Read/Write
    'everyone' Read/Write

In other words all users should have read/write access to anything contained in this 'Shared' folder?

Using some other online tech advise page I navigated to System Prefs --> File Sharing which indicates a different categorisation of user than 'system' 'wheel' and 'everyone'. Instead it shows:

Admin account "Read/Write",
    'Staff' "Read/Write" and
    'Everyone' Read only

Is 'Staff' to be considered the setting applicable to the standard account user? (Am guessing not as I still only have read access to shared)
    Now I was going to give Read/Write priveleges to 'Everyone' but am a little concerned about the security of doing this? When it indicates these settings as being for 'User account's public folder' is this the same as the 'Shared' folder that is auto provided in finder for the HDD ? Is it safe to enable 'file sharing' given that I'm the only one I want accessing the files on my computer (albeit from various user account types) and do I need to do this to give the standard account Read/Write access and resolve this issue?

Regards

Macced

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    You can always add your Standard user account name to the list,,, and give it Read/Write access.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    You can always add your Standard user account name to the list,,, and give it Read/Write access.
    I didn't see the little lock icon in the bottom of that 'get info' menu - thanks for pointing this out: Have now added the standard user and will try it shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Macced View Post
    I didn't see the little lock icon in the bottom of that 'get info' menu - thanks for pointing this out: Have now added the standard user and will try it shortly.

Don't forget that you can Share almost any file or folder on your Mac, And Apple's advice tends to be on the ultraconservative side at times which could make things quite inconvenient, and don't forget you can use an alias to make things much easier for you if you need.

For some of their information check out their page here:
    You can share files and folders with others on your network. You can share your entire Mac with everyone or allow specific users access to only certain folders.
    macOS Sierra: Use File Sharing to share files

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information