Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

App Store 'Couldn't Connect' - unable to update OSX since format/reinstall
    Hi Folks,

I recently did a fresh install of Mojave 10.14.5 using the DosDude Installer Patch which allows you to download Mojave full 6.x Gb installer for USB installer disk creation. However with it now up and running for almost 2 months I'm looking to keep the Mojave up to date with the latest critical updates, however App store continuously reports 'Couldn't connect' upon opening and then showing nothing on the main screen.

How can I rectify this so the app store can actually connect and find the osx updates to keep my system up to date? NB I run both an Admin account and Standard user account, and the same error msg appears when trying to use app store on both profiles..

In trying to troubleshoot the issue so far, I've changed my firewall settings (were previously set to the highest level including blocking system service initiated requests) to that which you should be able to now see in the attached screenshot where it not for the fact that a standard screenshot exceeds file allowances for this server, and the 'adjust size' option is n/a for me in preview . So, App store should now have incoming/outgoing access (built in software allowed through firewall), yet nothing changes and I still get the same error msg.
    Last edited by Macced; 08-13-2019 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Add screenshot

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    Apple is pretty zealous about protecting it's software and using 3rd party apps to obtain and instal macOS may cause you problems like you are experiencing now. I prefer Diskmaker X which will make a bootable USB installer from the macOS Installer app.

Anyway, let me assume you have an Apple account and that you have used that account User Name and Password to setup your initial installation of Mojave. That should mean other than verification of purchase in the App Store you can download apps in the usual way. If this is true then you have simply made a common mistake. macOS is now updated from System Preferences > Software Update.

All other apps are updated via the App Store.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    You have no way of knowing what the DosDude patch changed. That is why we don't recommend third party approaches to installations. Even if the OS "runs" you don't know what is not running the way Apple designed it to run. Apparently something in the DosDude patch wiped out something the App Store needs to work. At this point I would recommend a clean install using DiskmakeX, or if you have a recovery partition, you can try booting into that and reinstalling the OS from there. You *might* be able to install over whatever the system is you have now, but you might have to do a full wipe/format/install/restore to get rid of the DosDude scat. If you don't have the recovery partition (I sort of doubt it, given the DosDude interference) then about all you can do is to see if you can do an internet recovery.

You can read about recovery alternatives here: Mac startup key combinations - Apple Support
    and here: About macOS Recovery - Apple Support
    and here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Direct download of Mojave is available here; MacOS Mojave 10.14.1 ISO & DMG Files Direct Download - ISORIVER
    Download, reinstall the OS and follow the setup instructions. After you can check if the Recovery Patition works (Command -R at boot). Then use disk utility to run First Aid. If no problems you can leave it at that, especially if you intend to upgrade to Catalina.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    May I just take up a different point, Macced?

When a screenshot or other image you want to post exceeds the size requirements for the Forums, you can easily resize that image in Preview. If it is the case that you are genuinely unable to do this, then that may indicate a further problem with Preview.

The method is to open the screenshot with the Preview app, click on Tools and the choose Adjust Size. Then choose a width around 500-600 pixels as a starter. That will attach easily to your post.

If any part of that process is unavoidable to you, that would imply that Preview is corrupted which just might be a further indication of an OS problem.

Ian
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Apple is pretty zealous about protecting it's software and using 3rd party apps to obtain and instal macOS may cause you problems like you are experiencing now. I prefer Diskmaker X which will make a bootable USB installer from the macOS Installer app.

Anyway, let me assume you have an Apple account and that you have used that account User Name and Password to setup your initial installation of Mojave. That should mean other than verification of purchase in the App Store you can download apps in the usual way. If this is true then you have simply made a common mistake. macOS is now updated from System Preferences > Software Update.

All other apps are updated via the App Store.
    Thanks for pointing this out Rod. I did stumble across this option shortly after posting this thread a couple days ago, however it too seems 'unable to connect' reporting " Unable to Check for Updates make sure you are connected to the internet and in the 'Advanced' I have 'Check for Updates' and 'Install System Files and Security updates' checked'

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    You have no way of knowing what the DosDude patch changed. That is why we don't recommend third party approaches to installations. Even if the OS "runs" you don't know what is not running the way Apple designed it to run. Apparently something in the DosDude patch wiped out something the App Store needs to work. At this point I would recommend a clean install using DiskmakeX, or if you have a recovery partition, you can try booting into that and reinstalling the OS from there. You *might* be able to install over whatever the system is you have now, but you might have to do a full wipe/format/install/restore to get rid of the DosDude scat. If you don't have the recovery partition (I sort of doubt it, given the DosDude interference) then about all you can do is to see if you can do an internet recovery.

You can read about recovery alternatives here: Mac startup key combinations - Apple Support
    and here: About macOS Recovery - Apple Support
    and here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support
    As much as its not a standard 'Apple' product, the DosDude patcher seems not to make any significant changes that would explain what I'm currently experiencing. All it does AFAIK is download the same installer as the app store, but without the need to get it through the App store. The rest of the installation is standard Apple fare. If it did have a problem of the nature you describe then wouldn't they have reported it on the FAQ in the same way they've already openly admitted (per a bolded downloader statement) that only the newer version of the patcher ensures you can appropriately update your OS after the installation. I'll check if the recovery partition works using CMD-R reboot. I'm NOT going through the whole format/reinstall rigmarole anytime soon if I can avoid it.

Your Mac's Specs
    Just another possibility, are you signed into iCloud.

You don't get Mojave Updates from the App Store, but rather System Preferences->Software Update. If you open that, it might tell you that 10.14.6 is available as an update and allow you to download it.

If you don't see things working and have changed the default Firewall and related settings. You should FIRST reset back to the normal state, i.e., disable the Firewall completely in macOS. Your router has a firewall which is MORE than sufficient for your needs.

Report back what you see and post screenshots so that we can see what's going on. Follow Ian's reply above to resize large images so that it can be attached.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Thread Information