Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Upgraded to 10.14.6 ......
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro (13inch mid 2012), 2.5 ghz , i5, 16 gig 1600 mhz, 1TB SSD, Mojave 10.14.6
    ........ to help with the issues of not coming out of sleep mode. I still seem to have the same issue. When I open the computer, the keyboard will light up, but nothing else happens. I have to press the the power button often 2 or 3 times before it powers up. It doesn't occur every time, but most frequently if it's been sleeping overnight or after an extended period of time.

ken
    Few things in life will clear out the cobwebs more effectively than fighting an 80 MPH wind on two wheels.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Make sure you also download and install the supplemental update to 10.14.6. That was issued just this past week and may solve your problem.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    What other steps have you tried?

Have you reset the SMC? How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support
    Have you reset the VRAM? Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro (13inch mid 2012), 2.5 ghz , i5, 16 gig 1600 mhz, 1TB SSD, Mojave 10.14.6
    Supplemental update? Damn, and update to the update? Since I'm unaware of it's existence, I'm going with probably not

Thanks Bob, I reset the SMC, VRAM, a couple of months ago when this started after updating to 10.14.5.

Let me look for the supplemental supplement to the updated supplemental supplement.

ken
    Few things in life will clear out the cobwebs more effectively than fighting an 80 MPH wind on two wheels.

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    You should see a red dot on the System Preferences icon when an update (or an update to an update) is available.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
    You should see a red dot on the System Preferences icon when an update (or an update to an update) is available.
    Exactly. Once the update file is installed the Software Update preference pane will only show that dot if their are further updates available.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    Dowloaded the update, installed, no change. Nothing I can't live with, but a little annoying.

When you press the power button to wake it up, does it drop you to the login prompt quickly or is it doing a restart?
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    When you press the power button to wake it up, does it drop you to the login prompt quickly or is it doing a restart?
    Neither. Generally, here's the sequence. I open the lid, the keyboard is lit. I wait (I tend to be impatient) for a couple of minutes. Nothing happens. Pressing any key or the trackpad has no effect. I press the power button, quickly because I try to avoid a hard reboot. Then, the keypad backlight goes off. Again I wait, 30 seconds to a minute. Again, nothing happens. Finally, when I quickly press the power button again, it immediately wakes up and is ready to rock, like the good old days. ;-)
    Last edited by hempomatic; 08-12-2019 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Forgot a step in my explanation

Thank you for the extra info, it looks like the system is indeed trying to wake up when the lid is opened but something is preventing it. When you press the power button with the lid opened, you are putting the MBP back to sleep and the second power button press is waking it up and thus you are able to use it.

Can you try booting into safe mode and once booted up and stable, go ahead and close the lid. Wait for a moment and then open the lid and see what happens without pressing any keys or the power button. If the machine wakes up properly and allows you to continue using it, then some app that you are running is causing issues and we can continue to isolate. If the machine doesn't behave in safe mode, then we can check other things.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    Thank you for the extra info, it looks like the system is indeed trying to wake up when the lid is opened but something is preventing it. When you press the power button with the lid opened, you are putting the MBP back to sleep and the second power button press is waking it up and thus you are able to use it.

Can you try booting into safe mode and once booted up and stable, go ahead and close the lid. Wait for a moment and then open the lid and see what happens without pressing any keys or the power button. If the machine wakes up properly and allows you to continue using it, then some app that you are running is causing issues and we can continue to isolate. If the machine doesn't behave in safe mode, then we can check other things.
    OK, to further clarify, this happens ONLY if the computer is off for several hours or more, but it doesn't happen every time. In the morning after being off overnight, it occurs 80% of the time. If after being off for a few hours perhaps 50% of the time. If it's sleeping for an hour or less it occurs less than 10% of the time. I've been considering the computer sleep setting in system preferences as a potential culprit. It's presently set for 3 hours. To prove theory I was going to put it to "never" or just a minute or two. As a matter of fact, I'll try that NOW ! ;-)

I was also thinking about just living with it because I'm so afraid of screwing something up until Catalina is released. Unfortunately, I don't see any reason to upgrade to Catalina because it simply doesn't address anything I care much about, other than potential security upgrades.

Also, when this began, I thought it could potentially be a program that was left running. I quit ALL programs running before putting it to sleep. That didn't seem to change the frequency.

ken
    Last edited by hempomatic; 08-12-2019 at 02:20 PM.

I was also thinking about just living with it because I'm so afraid of screwing something up until Catalina is released. Unfortunately, I don't see any reason to upgrade to Catalina because it simply doesn't address anything I care much about, other than potential security upgrades.

I sure wouldn't expect or rely on installing OS Catalina to fix the problem.

Maybe deleting one of the associated energy saving preference pane files may help and let the system build a new one with a restart.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    I sure wouldn't expect or rely on installing OS Catalina to fix the problem.

Maybe deleting one of the associated energy saving preference pane files may help and let the system build a new one with a restart.

======

You lost me there. What "energy saving preference pane files" are we talking about ?

As far as Catalina fixing the problem, I think it was more hoping rather than expecting based on the massive upgrade just sort of sweeping up the flawed code.
    Last edited by hempomatic; 08-12-2019 at 03:38 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    "plist" files, usually in your Home (user) > Library > Preferences folder. Something like systempreferences.plist.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    "plist" files, usually in your Home (user) > Library > Preferences folder. Something like systempreferences.plist.
    Thanks Bob, but I can't find anything like that. Like I said, no big deal, and extra 30 seconds a day won't kill me.

ken

Thread Information