Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Hard drive space vanished after OS reinstall
    Hi everyone!

I have a late 2012 iMac and just reinstalled the OS and I'm having a problem that I'm hoping someone can help with.

My current OS version is 10.14.6.

After reinstalling the OS, it doesn't seem like the entire hard drive is...for lack of a better way to put it...there. It has a 3 TB fusion drive but only shows 121 GB now. I'm not an expert by any means but have looked into everything that I can think of and can't figure it out.

I hope someone can help!!

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Welcome to the forum.

Can you post a picture of what Disk Utility is showing you? Was the reinstall also an upgrade, or were you already running 10.14.6?
    Jake

Screen Shot 2019-08-06 at 10.34.33 PM.png

It reinstalled the original OS (I honestly don't recall what version) and then I updated it to Mojave but the issue was there before I updated.

Thanks!

I should add that I can't find any of the files on the drive either. I reconciled that reality but then thought that perhaps they are there somewhere, I just don't know where.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    It reinstalled the original OS (I honestly don't recall what version) and then I updated it to Mojave but the issue was there before I updated.
    What triggered the reinstall? Computers don't normally do a reinstall on their own, so something must have triggered the reinstall of the Original OS. Were you having problems? Were you running Mojave before the reinstall of the original OS? Fusion drives are tricky because the SSD component is connected to the spinning component by software, and if that link gets broken you end up with two devices instead of a one fused device. I don't know how big the SSD portion of a 3T fusion drive is, but 120GB does sound like a number that would be likely. And going backwards from a Mojave formatted APFS drive to an earlier HFS+ formatted drive could very well break that software. What Mac do you have? Is it still in warranty, or do you have AppleCare+ for it? Do you have backups?
    Jake

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    @briandudley

I agree with Jake.

The screenshot you kindly posted shows the SSD portion of the fusion. Can you post a screenshot of what you see when you click on Macintosh HD (and if possible also a screenshot of what is in Container)?

Your Mac is late 2012 so out of warranty and, sadly, considered out of the date range where Apple would normally offer any repairs.

My reading of your first post suggests that it was you that initialed the reinstall of the OS. Is that correct? If so, why? What problems prompted you do do this?

I further agree with Jake that IF you were running macOS Mojave BEFORE you did a reinstall; then reinstalled, say, from the Internet, it is quite likely that the OS was an earlier version - because you said that after the reinstall, you THEN upgraded to macOS Mojave.

That sequence of events, if correct, could cause a complete breakdown of the Fusion drives.

The screenshots I've asked for may help us considerably.

Ian
    Ian

First things first, do you have a valid & working back up of all of your data before you did the re-install? If you have a backup, then there is a way to re-link the Fusion drive following these instructions. However, the instructions are destructive to the data and will require a re-install of the OS and restore of your backup to get your data back in place. If you don't have a backup of your data, then at the risk of losing your data you'll have to open up the iMac, grab the HDD and grab an external enclosure and use that to get to the data and create a backup. Once you have that, then you can go back to recreating the fusion drive and re-installing and all that.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Thread Information