Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Routined quit unexpectedly
    Help needed please. iMac mid 2010 running high Sierra. Replaced hdd and restored from TM backup. But now get the message "routined quit unexpectedly" if I choose ignore it comes straight back up. Does generate a report but I don't know what it relates to. Also since restore the mouse is not working as it should as erratic.
    Before I go through the tedious process of reinstalling again and waiting another 8 hrs to restore I thought I would see if someone can help please.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Welcome to our forums.

I saw your same thread in the Apple Discussions Forum. Looks like someone recommended to startup from Recovery. Did you do that?

Also, when you replaced the hard drive, did you replace the required heat sensor on the drive or other heat sensor compensation such as the kit that OWC sells? If your iMac is the 27" model (you did not say which model you have) that heat sensor is required.

You might also consider doing a clean install rather than restore from Time Machine. If the clean install works okay, there may be a problem with your Time Machine backup.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Welcome to our forums.

I saw your same thread in the Apple Discussions Forum. Looks like someone recommended to startup from Recovery. Did you do that?

Also, when you replaced the hard drive, did you replace the required heat sensor on the drive or other heat sensor compensation such as the kit that OWC sells? If your iMac is the 27" model (you did not say which model you have) that heat sensor is required.

You might also consider doing a clean install rather than restore from Time Machine. If the clean install works okay, there may be a problem with your Time Machine backup.
    Hi yes I did try safe mode but no change.
    I have the 21.5 model and attached heat sensor. Should I not have on this model?
    Will I lose everything I have backed up on TM then?

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    I ran a terminal command to get the man page on routined:
    routined(8) BSD System Manager's Manual routined(8)

NAME
    routined -- A daemon that learns the historical location patterns of a
    user.

DESCRIPTION
    routined is a per-user daemon that learns historical location patterns of
    a user and predicts future visits to locations.

There are no configurations to routined, and users should not run
    routined manually.

BSD November 02, 2016 BSD
    From that I would take it that it is launched by the system at login (per-user). I don't know what it does.
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    I ran a terminal command to get the man page on routined: From that I would take it that it is launched by the system at login (per-user). I don't know what it does.
    Thanks Jake.
    I am now trying to restore from TM backup again to see if any difference.
    If not I will try just a fresh install without TM backup.
    If I choose just fresh install how can I import my photos from my TM backup which is on my external drive.
    Do I need to set up TM with same drive before I can import old library?

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    I don't think a restore for TM will do anything. The routined is a part of the operating system, as far as I can tell, and is launched at log in for every user. So pretty much nothing you do can change the action of routined. Until you sort out WHY it's quitting, I suspect it will just repeat and repeat. Do you have any "helper" software installed (Antivirus, ad blocker, etc.)? It may be that one of those things is seeing routined as "malware" and killing it, leaving you in the situation you described.
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    I don't think a restore for TM will do anything. The routined is a part of the operating system, as far as I can tell, and is launched at log in for every user. So pretty much nothing you do can change the action of routined. Until you sort out WHY it's quitting, I suspect it will just repeat and repeat. Do you have any "helper" software installed (Antivirus, ad blocker, etc.)? It may be that one of those things is seeing routined as "malware" and killing it, leaving you in the situation you described.
    I have done completed another fresh install and updated to high Sierra and it is fine but now in process of restore from TM to see if it occurs again?

Thread Information