Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Screen Savers; do you use them?
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Back in the days of Flying Toasters I became interested in third party screen savers for OSX and I still have a healthy interest.
    Does anybody really use them and if so is it just a stock standard native one or custom?

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    I also used to be into screen savers back in the Flying Toaster days...but these days I just use the stock Apple screensaver. I guess back when we were using CRT based displays...I was using them for their "screen saving" abilities. But with flat panel displays...this not needed as much.

Screen saver is still a good tool...in the sense that if you're in a more public situation (at the office for example..or maybe at home..or at the library with a group of people)...if you need to leave your computer for a moment & screensaver is set that you need to enter a password to get out of the screen saver...it prevents unwanted eye's from seeing what you were doing or using your computer while you're away.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    I usually just use the "Login Window or Lock Screen" options, when I'm leaving my computer. Every now and then, after some updates, my screen saver becomes enabled, and I just set the start timer to "Never" again.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    I tend to basically do the same thing Nick does. Back in the day I used the Flying Toaster program as well.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 21.5" 3.1GHz Core i7 16GB RAM Catalina. iPad Air. iPhone 6S. iPod nano.
    Flying toasters - me to but nothing nowadays. We're all showing our age a bit here!
    Peter - I used to be paranoid but now I just worry all the time

Your Mac's Specs
    2015 Retina 4k iMac. Mojave. 8GB RAM
    Blog Entries
    long time ago I used them but not for many years.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    I had a great animated screen saver with sound that I used in my PC Windows days. It was an adaptation from the famous ID Software "Wolfenstein 3D". You could vary the characters from the common guards to the evil scientist and the mad monster. I guess I'm also showing my age!

Your Mac's Specs
    Wow! Thanks for all the replies, it was a fun question motivated by my recent MBP crash. I did not remember to save the screen saver I have been using for years so after everything else got sorted I finally realized it was no longer in my list of options.

I set about trying to find a source to download it from, further complicated by the fact I could not remember what it was called.

Undaunted and onfident I would recognize it when I saw it I set about searching for "Free macOS Screen Savers". I was surprised to find most of the results I got were for clocks. Apparently the current popular trend is Analogue or Digital clock displays. Some are like Apple Watch analogue faces with no numerals and others like huge digital white on black "flip" clocks similar to an old bedside alarm clock I had many years ago and the ubiquitous Drop Clock, a screen saver that uses almost as much CPU resources as my 3D games.

After a little persistence (you can see i have plenty of spare time these days) I found it. Its called Hyperspace and low and behold I even found a 64bit version.

Essentially it is a simulated flight through space, traversing twisting worm holes and sped up nebula and galaxies of brightly colored light against the black backdrop of space. It is truly beautiful and really gives a sensation of forward movement like a flight simulator. It is also highly customizable with some 8 different independent slide controls.

Probably not to everyone's taste but I really like it.

I have my Energy Settings set to go to screen saver after 15 min and Security Settings to require login 5 min after screen saver begins so I get to see it a lot and it might as well be something I like.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I was surprised to find most of the results I got were for clocks. Apparently the current popular trend is Analogue or Digital clock displays. Some are like Apple Watch analogue faces with no numerals and others like huge digital white on black "flip" clocks similar to an old bedside alarm clock I had many years ago and the ubiquitous Drop Clock, a screen saver that uses almost as much CPU resources as my 3D games.

After a little persistence (you can see i have plenty of spare time these days) I found it. Its called Hyperspace and low and behold I even found a 64bit version.

Essentially it is a simulated flight through space, traversing twisting worm holes and sped up nebula and galaxies of brightly colored light against the black backdrop of space. It is truly beautiful and really gives a sensation of forward movement like a flight simulator. It is also highly customizable with some 8 different independent slide controls.
    Found a You Tube video for this Hyperspace screen saver & checked it out...looks interesting:

YouTube

- Nick

p.s. One of the links I found to download it from was "screensaversplanet.com"...maybe there are more decent screensavers for Mac's. Looks like everything is free as well!

https://www.screensaversplanet.com/
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Yeah, I still have screensaver set to activate, but the monitor goes to sleep soon after. Back in the day, my favorite was "Bill Gates Does Windows". Bill was cleaning a large glass window, and it breaks (crashes) - complete with sound effects.

Your Mac's Specs
    Now THAT'S original. Sound effects too! Clocks are a bit boring, I mean if I wanted to know the time I'd just look at my Apple Watch.

Your Mac's Specs
    Ah yes, that's what I use mine for in a way. My laptop is on a table under a covered veranda outside our upstairs bedroom so it's kind of public space in a way. The screen saver kicks in at about 5min and password required which is a non issue nowadays because the Apple Watch logs me in.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    TBH, once we moved from CRT displays to panels, the main reason for having a screen saver went away. So I never use one. Just let it time out to go black to save battery.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Just remembered another one, also with sound effects: Saw. you see the screen "from underneath" and the teeth of the saw "cutting through" it. When the "saw" gets all the way across, that part of the "screen" falls away. Then another "cut" begins until it's all gone.

Your Mac's Specs
    Late '09 iMac; Late '11 MBAir, 2017 iMac from hell!
    Hey Nick!

Thanks for the link to the screensaver site.

On the first page of Mac screensaver, there was a Flying Toaster screen saver! Here's the link.... https://www.screensaversplanet.com/screensavers/?mac=on

Cheers!

Pat
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Thread Information