Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Time Machine Backup
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017).Processor 1.8GHz intel core i5.Memory 8gb 16000MHZDDR3.Graphics intel HD
    Time Machine Backup
    Most prob this question has been asked before.
    Regarding backing up my MacBook Air 2017 with using the built in time machine. My son is nagging me to make a backup to an external hdd with time machine.
    Just one item bothering me it will backup to an external but does it also take up space on the internal hdd or does every thing goes to the external hdd.
    Thanks
    David
    Passwords should be like a tooth brush renew every three months

Time Machine Backup
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    A "backup", is a copy. So everything will stay on the MBA internal, you will have backup copy of it, "just in case".
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Time Machine Backup
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017).Processor 1.8GHz intel core i5.Memory 8gb 16000MHZDDR3.Graphics intel HD
    Ye Thanks. Will the time machine install anything else to alter the internal storage.
    Many Thanks.
    David

Time Machine Backup
    Your Mac's Specs
    No, Time Machine comes with macOS. However, if you enable Time Machine, it does put "snapshots" on the drive, IF SPACE PERMITS. If you don't want the snapshots on your Mac, do not turn on TM, just use the "Back Up Now" option, and use it when you want.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Time Machine Backup
    Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks
    David

Time Machine Backup
    Your Mac's Specs
    -- Bob --

Time Machine Backup
    Your Mac's Specs
    Tanx once again
    David

Time Machine Backup
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Some info regarding Time Machine local snapshots:

If you are using High Sierra or Mojave and your hard drive is formatted to APFS, you have no choice as to whether or not local snapshots are made and placed on your hard drive. I'm not sure how many snapshots are made until the system starts deleting them as I usually do not allow more than one snapshot to remain. I delete them with a terminal command.

By the way, Carbon Copy Cloner will do the same thing unless you manually turn off local snapshots from options.

Time Machine Backup
    Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks for your thoughts, Regarding Turn off local snapshots, How to turn off in options. All new to me.
    Would you say that Carbon Copy would be easier to understand for a new beginner.
    Thanks.
    David

Time Machine Backup
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Tomos, the snapshots issue is somewhat overblown. What happens is that when you turn on TM it makes a full backup. Then every hour it makes an incremental backup of what has changed. If it cannot find the backup drive for any reason, it stores that increment in a snapshot of your system. When the backup drive reappears, that snapshot is transferred to the backup and erased. Snapshots only become an issue if you turn on TM and then disconnect the backup drive, but leave TM on. There are a couple of ways to deal with it. One is, as chscag suggested, is to leave TM off and just make backups manually. That way no snapshots are made at all. The other is to get something like TimeMachineEditor and set TM to back up when you want it to. That is what I do. The drive is always attached, but TM is off. Then TME runs a backup for me at midnight and noon. I end up with ONE snapshot because as soon as TM is turned on for that one backup it makes a quick snapshot. I can live with that.

If you use CCC, it, too, makes snapshots. You can turn that off.

Bottom line is that good practice is to keep the backup drive attached and find a way to make automatic backups so that you don't forget until you have a problem and it's too late.
    Jake

Time Machine Backup
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    I'm with Bob (ferrarr) re post #4.

If you click on the Time Machine icon in the top menu bar and, from the drop down, select Preferences. When in Preferences, uncheck the box "Back Up Automatically".

This not only purges your Mac of existing snapshots, but means that you can manually click on the Time Machine icon and choose "Back Up Now". This will do just that, in the process of which, it creates one snapshot. This will be deleted and replaced the next time you do a manual Back Up - of course you now have to remember to do the manual Back Ups.

Jake uses TimeMachineEditor - I just try to remember!

This is covered in the link Bob posted, of which this is a sample:

"If you want to delete local snapshots manually, turn off Time Machine temporarily:
    Open Time Machine preferences from the Time Machine menu in the menu bar. Or choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Time Machine.
    Deselect ”Back Up Automatically” (or click the Off/On switch, depending on what you see in Time Machine preferences).

Wait a few minutes to allow the local snapshots to be deleted. Then turn on Time Machine again. It remembers your backup disks." - You don't need to turn TM on again unless you want to repeat this process regularly. Leave it that way and do manual BUs as I mentioned above.

Ian
    Ian

Time Machine Backup
    Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks Everyone .
    David

Thread Information