Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am having horrible kernel_task memory issues. I have an EtreCheck reoprt. Can someone help me unde
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Well, one other strange thing is that Etrecheck thinks there is a runaway process. And it shows 200%+ in "Other" processes. You can open Activity Monitor to the CPU tab, sort by CPU usage and see what is taking up so much CPU. This is the portion of the second report I am looking at:
    CPU Usage Snapshot:
    Type Overall
    System 17 %
    User 21 %
    Idle 63 %

Top Processes Snapshot by CPU:
    Process (count) CPU (Source - Location)
    Other processes 211.31 % (?)
    Google Chrome 48.42 % (Google, Inc.)
    Logic Pro X 16.91 % (App Store)
    EtreCheck 8.27 % (App Store)
    Activity Monitor 3.80 % (Apple)

Top Processes Snapshot by Memory:
    Process (count) RAM usage (Source - Location)
    EtreCheck 1.10 GB (App Store)
    Logic Pro X 808 MB (App Store)
    Google Chrome 389 MB (Google, Inc.)
    Finder 247 MB (Apple)
    Backup and Sync 180 MB (Google, Inc.)
    Note that nothing is really hammering the CPU except that "Other" category, but even so, it is 63% idle. And also, nothing is using a lot of RAM, either. Your original post said the kernel task was taking a lot of memory, but the reports don't support that. Finally, the recently installed section doesn't show All2MP3 or MacKeeper as having been installed in the last month. I'm confused because what you say and what the report is showing don't seem to match very well. What am I missing?
    Jake

Well, I had already uninstalled AllMP3 and MacKeeper so maybe that's why they dont show? All2MP3 was an update, not a new install. On the install, I got elements of MacKeeper on my computer.

I think I'm not being specific enough with my language. Where I see the kernel issue is on CPU tab of Activity Monitor. I'll often have 1-3% idle, and it can tell me it's taking up 400-500% of the CPU%. I'm guessing that's the runaway process. It's not constant but it comes and goes.

I am having horrible kernel_task memory issues. I have an EtreCheck reoprt. Can someone help me unde
    Your Mac's Specs
    Ok, we are making progress. On that CPU tab, if you click on the header for "% CPU" it will sort the items in the list by usage. Do that to get the heavy users at the top and wait for the runaway. See what is taking up the CPU.

The original post referred only to memory, so I'm assuming that is not the real problem, but CPU usage is. Is that correct? (It helps to be clear on what the problem really is.)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and even if you did uninstall it, I think it would still show in the recent installs. I haven't tested that myself, but the logs don't change just because you uninstall something.
    Jake

So, when I'm having that problem, the thing taking up the CPU is kernel_task
    Every time.

Your Mac's Specs
    Jake

There's a small part of me which thinks it might be related to the heat wave....but it has been indoors this whole time and the indoors isn't that hot here.

I just wonder if there's some process which might be setting that off unnecessarily. At some points today, I restarted my machine, and it was SUPER slow starting up and when it finally did, I opened activity monitor and had that problem. This was before I even opened any apps.

Your Mac's Specs
    You could try an SMC reset to see if that makes any difference.
    Jake

I did that last night but it didnt solve the problem.

Your Mac's Specs
    Well, if the fans are running hard at the same time the CPU goes all busy and the machine slows down, it could be a failing sensor on the logic board. Not good news if that's it. You may have to take it to Apple to have them test it.
    Jake

Are there any hard drive tests I can do from home to see if that's it? Can I have that test done in the store or would I need to leave it overnight?

Your Mac's Specs
    It's not a drive problem, I don't think. For some reason the SSD is being slow at writing, but that is not related to the kernel task heavy usage. And you don't want to run anything overnight to "test" the SSD as that wears them out very fast. Apple has diagnostics they can run that aren't available to you. Make a good backup, get an appointment at the Genius Bar and take the machine in for them to test. Well worth the time. If you have AppleCare+ and it's still available, you could be good to go. If not and if they find a hardware problem, you could be out some $$$ to get it fixed.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    late 2012 mini w/SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by oxband View Post

3 - I am not even using a Samsung brew modem. How do I stop that software?
    I wonder if you installed some software to enable tethering from a Samsung phone? (maybe the process name has fooled me - maybe it's a Motorola phone?)

Is still issue persist?

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Make sure you have a good backup strategy in place. Then, try copying some data to an external drive, then delete it from the internal drive. Or, erase/wipe the internal and do a clean install. I really believe it is do to too little space on the internal drive.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

I do have a Samsung flip phone. I just switched to a new phone last week. I can't imagine that did anything but perhaps. What would I search for to get rid of stuff from the computer?

I often have high WindowServer usage, and I was reading that too many items on the Desktop can contribute. I have hundreds on my desktop. I imagine cleaning that up can only help.

Thread Information