Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

MacBook Password login problem

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro, Mac Mini
    Question MacBook Password login problem
    I recently had a login issue with a MacBook Pro that I am unable to understand and still have not completely recovered from and was wondering if any more experienced users may be able to help.

I have a MacBook set up to use Touch ID as well as the usual login password. There is only a single admin account. I have also set it up to use a Yubikey (duplicated) so that it would not log in unless the key was inserted (and immediately logged out if the key was removed). It is also registered with my Apple ID account.

A few weeks ago, any login attempt was rejected (as if the password was incorrect, although I had not changed anything). My password is also stored in a password manager, so I checked it and carefully re-entered it (making sure caps lock was off), but no success. I was convinced there was a fault (or maybe the Yubikeys had failed somehow – although it was hard to believe both had failed simultaneously). I booted it in Recovery Mode and tested the disk and found no faults.

I was considering erasing the disk and re-installing the OS, but before I did, I decided, just for the hell of it to try and change the password via my Apple ID. Surprisingly this worked… sort of. Entering the new password resulted in the login process starting, but because I had not used the Touch ID for a few days, it demanded the login password again before allowing Touch ID to be used. Entering the same login password at this stage was again rejected. Unfortunately, I cannot proceed past this point without entering this password. I checked and rechecked the password again, and even tried old passwords with no success. Repeating this always results in the password being accepted at login, but rejected by the Touch ID validation process.

The fact that the same password is needed by both and the same password files are accessed suggested a possible memory issue, so I also ran memtest86 several times and again found nothing.

The three obvious questions are: 1) Why would the login password suddenly change (or get scrambled), 2) When the password is reset through the Apple ID, why is it accepted by the login process but not the Touch ID validation, and 3) is there a way to make the Touch ID process recognize the new password or can it be bypassed?

I am just hoping some more knowledgeable people here may have some other suggestions or point out something obvious I have overlooked before I just erase the disk and start from scratch (which I have no problem doing). I don’t like the idea of not knowing what is going on here. Thanks for any possible suggestions.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Welcome to our forums.

You really haven't provided us with specs about your system: Which MacBook Pro, year and model? What version of macOS?

Having said that, I suspect your model MacBook Pro is equipped with the T2 security chip. The YubiKey as you know is a USB security device which provides extra security for logging on/usage, etc. I'm not sure what if anything that has to do with your current problem, but it is suspect.

Personally, I do not advise using devices like the YubiKey because of their possible interaction with the T2. It may have been better to just set up your MacBook Pro with a firmware password instead.

I really don't have a suggestion that may help. If possible, you might be better off making an appointment with an Apple genius bar and see if they can assist. If your machine has Apple Care that is still valid, you can call Apple telephone support, but to be honest, you're probably better off taking it on in to them.

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro, Mac Mini
    Thank you for your reply and useful suggestions. Concentrating on trying to accurately describe everything I completely overlooked the computer details. It is a 16/17 model (A1706) running Mojave. Apologies for that oversight.

I understand your point about the T2 chip. It is something I had not considered, although I can't see a logical reason why that should be an issue either. Although everything did work with the Yubikey (including the Touch ID password validation), I realize the T2 chip does introduce another variable that I hadn't fully considered. Just out of interest, I did also change the password back to the original password through the Apple ID but that didn't help either. It is still a bit confusing, but your suggestion that it is related to the T2 chip sounds logical.

I had also come to the same conclusion as yourself about the use of the Yubikey, so I greatly appreciate the suggestion and will take your advice and not use it in this way again. Thanks again for your reply and suggestions. If I manage to find any further information before completely starting again I will post it here.

Thread Information