Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Quarantined mail

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac OS 10.13.6 with 8Gb memory
    Quarantined mail
    I have recently been receiving messages from Waitrose Mail saying they have quarantined messages that possibly contained a virus. Several of these have been sent multiple times.

I have asked Waitrose (actually John Lewis) if there is any way I can block the regularly occurring ones. They say I should consult Apple about my anti-virus software, change my password (which password?) and go back to them.

This all sounds very confusing. I am always very careful about opening attachments on suspicious e-mails, and it certainly doesn't look as if I have a virus.

Is there anything simple I can do to block these e-mails?

David

Quarantined mail
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    David

I have serious doubts that these emails you are getting are from Waitrose.

For a start, you don't, indeed can't, send them "messages". Moreover, there are currently no viruses in the wild which affect/infect Macs. There most definitely is Malware, Phishing emails, RansomWare and so on; but you would be the recipient of these - not the sender.

When you get the next email (or if you have a current one still on the Mac), do this:

Open the email, as before, and place your cursor over the sender, then click on it to reveal the exact address of the sender. It may/may not have the word "Waitrose" in there, but I'm sure you will find a lot of other nonsense as well.

I think these are spam or phishing attacks. Don't reply to them and don't open any Links or attachments.

My wife and I (well my wife!) shops online with Waitrose all the time and we get deliveries from them. What you are describing does not seem right at all.

Ian
    Ian

Quarantined mail
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    Quarantined mail
    I had to lookup Waitrose because I am an Australian living in Bali, Indonesia. So I see it is a mail order site. As with most mail order sites like Amazon an eBay require you to have a subscription which in turn requires an ID and a password.
    It would be this password they are suggesting you change.
    If you do so ensure you do it through Waitrose. You also might like to try a Spam Filter like Spam Sieve.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
    Last edited by Rod; 07-17-2019 at 08:18 AM.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Quarantined mail
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    Just for those unfamiliar with Waitrose and John Lewis in the UK:

The John Lewis Partnership (JLP) owns the John Lewis chain of stores where you can buy almost anything; and Waitrose - a grocery store.

Although you can purchase items online from both the John Lewis and Waitrose sites, they are completely separate sites and managed so.

Any email from Waitrose should look like this: customersupport@waitrose.co.uk

Any from John Lewis (store, online etc) like this: CustomerServices@JohnLewis.com

I'm interested in the email address the OP got from Waitrose (as in my first post).

Ian
    Ian

Quarantined mail

Your Mac's Specs
    Here's a screen shot of one of the messages (if I can find out how to attach it).

The sender is as in the text: unquarantine@quarantine.waitrose.com.

Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 14.11.24.png

David

Quarantined mail
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    I am sort of familiar with Waitrose and John Lewis, and I don't think they provide email service, which means that this email is basically totally bogus. And even if they DO provide email hosting services, you can ignore this email. All it is saying is that someone is sending email to you through them that has a virus attached and that they are holding it for you to decide if you want it nor not. You don't, so don't respond. Just ignore the whole thing.

As for passwords that is a knee-jerk first response to just about anything strange. If you are concerned, you can go DIRECTLY to Waitrose (don't click on any link provided, type in the URL yourself) and change your password.

EDIT: What do you know! Waitrose and John Lewis DO provide email services. So while the email may be proper, you can still ignore it. Anybody can get your email and send you spam with a virus attached. Waitrose is just letting you know somebody did that. Nothing you can do to stop it, and changing your password at Waitrose won't make any difference, either, although you certainly can do that if it makes you feel better.
    Jake

Quarantined mail

Your Mac's Specs
    Now I'm a little confused over my provider(s). Although my e-mail address is a Waitrose one my provider is Plusnet. “John Lewis Broadband” is where my messages are stored online, but it says that is provided by Plusnet.

I must admit that the person I contacted at John Lewis was not very clear, and said she knew nothing about Macs!

David

Quarantined mail
    Your Mac's Specs
    No reason to be confused. John Lewis and Waitrose are providing a service for email, probably actually being executed by Plusnet. Plusnet is the actual internet provider, John Lewis and Waitrose are paying them to operate a mail server so that if you sign up, you get an address like xxxx@waitrose.com or similar, that you can use to get mail. What has happened is that somebody sent junk mail with a virus attached to that address and Plusnet found the virus and quarantined the email (didn't send to you). Then you get a note from the Waitrose server that the email is quarantined, just in case you wanted it sent to you anyway. As I said, just ignore it. Happens all the time. I use a service to filter my email and get a notice every day with the count of what they have blocked. today it was 29 emails. The record was just a tick over 100 in one day.
    Jake

Quarantined mail

Your Mac's Specs
    Well, that's what I thought, Jake.

What I'd really like to know is how to stop each warning message being sent to me.

David

Quarantined mail
    Your Mac's Specs
    David

It's more or less what I thought.

As Jake said - ignore it. And as he and I said, do not reply, click a Link or open any attachment.

These have allegedly come from someone called junked.mk@ etc....

Interesting that Waitrose, and I'm assuming it was genuine, wanted you to reply to them with certain information. Don't.

As for stopping them. In reality, you can't; but you can mark them as Junk and you could in fact make a simple rule in Mail that immediately puts any more emails from that address into the Junk folder.

These emails a a real pest, as Jake said.

If you need help setting up the rule, just ask. I am assuming that you use Apple's Mail app?

Ian
    Ian

Quarantined mail
    Your Mac's Specs
    One think to consider is maybe a service like I use at pobox.com. For an annual fee, I get an email address from them that they then screen for spam and nasties. All that gets to my inbox is what they pass. I get one email a day, as I said, with a list of what they blocked. I used to look at that email to see if they blocked anything I wanted to see, but I don't bother any more because I never saw anything I wanted released. Not selling for them, but they have levels of service for varying fees.
    Jake

Quarantined mail

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks. I've set up a rule to send all 'quarantine' messages to Junk. At least they won't clog up my Inbox and I can trash them when I want.

Some time I'll have a chat with Plusnet; they're usually very helpful.

David

Thread Information